HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2010, 09:50 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3holer View Post
Alex,

Just finished my Biquad. I have some reservations about the standoffs I used. They are from a plastic cutting board. Do you think the size is a problem? I could not find any nylon bolts longer that 1.5" which is too short for MHz.

OK,....... well that didn't work. I was trying to post a couple of pictures of the biquad but when I select inset image it asked for a URL link. They are on my camera hooked to the computer but there seems to be no option to select them......What am I missing?

Thanks,

Tom
You need to click on "Manage Attachments" to post the pictures.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:22 PM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
889 Posts
OK, I'll bite..where do I find "Manage Attachments" Looked in attachments but it just said I had none.

Tom
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:53 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3holer View Post
OK, I'll bite..where do I find "Manage Attachments" Looked in attachments but it just said I had none.

Tom
1. Click the NEW REPLY icon vs typing in a quick reply at the bottom of the screen.
2. A new window/tab will open where you can type your reply. Scroll down a little and you'll see a tab that says "Manage Attachments". Click it.
3. Another window will open. You'll see where you can "BROWSE" to find the files (pictures) you want to load from your computer, camera, etc.
4. Click the first BROWSE icon, go to where your picture is located and select it. Continue until all your pictures are selected then click UPLOAD. Wait until the files are uploaded. You can then scroll down to the pictures, now showing, add in comments, number them in what order you'd like to display, etc.
5. Click "SAVE CHANGES" then close the attachment window.
6. Lastly, click "SUBMIT REPLY" and you're all done.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2010, 12:04 AM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
889 Posts
Van,

Once again to the rescue......thanks.

Tom
Old Nov 07, 2010, 12:09 AM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
889 Posts
OK here are the pictures of the biquad. Again the spacers concern me that they will adversly effect the operation of the antenna....

Tom

It worked!
Old Nov 07, 2010, 08:44 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,404 Posts
Tom, that's a good looking antenna. It will work well. Nice job!
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2010, 08:49 AM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
889 Posts
Thanks Alex,

Forcast for the next several days 20-30kts overcast and rain.....this is a good thing because I can build a "V" and tune it. Sometimes oral surgery is a blessing.....two weeks off from work.

Thanks again,

Tom
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:52 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
I see some are using metal nuts for the nylon bolt spacers. I presume this has negligible effect?

Thank you for all you have done for us.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:54 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Ok, what do you think about this one? Man these spaces are close! It really goes against all I have learned to have the shield and center conductor connected! I know that in RF it is different that DC etc, but it still makes me twinge!

Anyway, see anything glaringly wrong with my build? Does the geometry look close enough?

I may have to remove the RX from the back like it is now so it will mount on my tracker correctly.
I think I would consider a 90 degree fitting for that receiver and firmly attach the receiver to the back to avoid moving the element?

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:34 AM
"Once you have tasted flight..
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2010
219 Posts
5.8Ghz

Hi Alex, I'm about to start my 5.8Ghz BiQuad 11dbi antenna. The "Full wave length" is 2.02''. Thats a tiny tiny antenna. Is that right? Thanks.
ivanestebanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanestebanc
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:51 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,404 Posts
Tiny is an understatement. At 5.8 GHz the antenna is going to be about the size of a credit card. In fact, if you make the reflector 2"X3" (credit card size) you will gain about 5% efficiency over my design.

You need to use a VERY THIN WIRE! Use something between 18 and 22 AWG solid wire. 14 AWG will not work at 5.8GHz

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:54 PM
"Once you have tasted flight..
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Tiny is an understatement. At 5.8 GHz the antenna is going to be about the size of a credit card. In fact, if you make the reflector 2"X3" (credit card size) you will gain about 5% efficiency over my design.

You need to use a VERY THIN WIRE! Use something between 18 and 22 AWG solid wire. 14 AWG will not work at 5.8GHz

-Alex
Ok, perfect. Thanks!!! That will be a easy portable antenna!!!
ivanestebanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanestebanc
Old Nov 17, 2010, 01:38 PM
Joined Mar 2009
191 Posts
Wow, what the heck is this???
HIGH POWER WIFI ANTENNA, Free Internet, Highly Portable, 16dB Gain, Almost a Dish!! (0 min 47 sec)

I found this antenna while surfing youtube, Id like IBīs opinion on this antenna
FabioBrazil is offline Find More Posts by FabioBrazil
Old Nov 17, 2010, 01:53 PM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
It's a Quad Bi-Quad.

I'm not sure it's worth the effort as there are simpler antenna's that will yeild the same gain (and more if needed) without the complexity.

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:24 PM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
889 Posts
Alex,

I noticed in your designs you are using a frame around the biquads. Is that just to protect the element from damage?

Is there any more info on the double biquad design you spoke of earlier?

Tom
Last edited by tom3holer; Nov 17, 2010 at 08:52 PM.