SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,641 Posts
Woww that is big!

I see that you painted the bowtie, I assume it's ok to do so. What about in my case the copper PCB as well?
Shinny copper catches too much attention in the park. I wanted to color it in a more discrete way.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:38 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev View Post
Tadaaa!! my version is ready to be tested
Looks good, buddy! Wait until you fly it

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
Still hackin'
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Nov 2005
428 Posts
433 bi-quad

I built a bi-quad for 1240MHz - a mate was so impressed he made a 70cm one for himself as well
Thermicdude is offline Find More Posts by Thermicdude
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Woww that is big!

I see that you painted the bowtie, I assume it's ok to do so. What about in my case the copper PCB as well?
Shinny copper catches too much attention in the park. I wanted to color it in a more discrete way.
Paint won't hurt it at all.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:59 AM
Joined Nov 2012
6 Posts
bi-quad awsome

after reading this whole thread yesterday and a trip to maplins i made this 5.8ghz bi-quad

it works although as yet no range testing
i have been getting 450m on cp antennas and immersion long range vtx with fat shark goggles in less than ideal conditions

things that are wrong with my bi-quad
messy solder around post
id like a thinner post anyway this one is 5mm i want 4mm
wire is 0.92mm it should be 0.59mm

i read that the shape of the lobes is unimportant so long as they are symetrical and 1 wavelength, its very hard to make a square of wire this small and keep it to 1 wavelength and equal sides so i think the next one i will make 3/4 circular with small straigts at 90 degrees into the post.

once proved and working with my hexacopter and ground station tracker ill be making one for my control tx 2.4ghz

thanks for this informative thread - im very much inspired

Aitch
Aich is offline Find More Posts by Aich
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,641 Posts
Today I couldn't use my favourite combination of Vee + Biquad and instead I had to use another quad that has one of these antennas.

(900MHz 1/2 Wave 2dBi Antenna)

I know they aren't center tuned to 980Mhz that I use but I was expecting to at least have clear video at close range. Instead I got always noise, either close or far, of course with distance it would get even worse but in overall the image quality was horrible...
Is it just because of the antenna not been tuned to 980Mhz or is it because this type of antenna don't work well with the BiQuad?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:56 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,350 Posts
I'd suspect something is wrong with the antenna.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:17 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,432 Posts
Check ther is a centre pin in there
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,641 Posts
Oh yes that one is there.
I still get image and it works for 400/600mts... but it's awfull. Next weekend I'll run some tests and see if I can capture some video from the GroundStation.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Nov 2012
6 Posts
update on the 5.8ghz biquad

not actually about the biquad but have range tested the system again with 2 cp antennas and im getting just over 1km

have materials on order now to build an RHCP BI-QUAD and ill be range testing that back to back with current set up

Aitch
Aich is offline Find More Posts by Aich
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for the design and instructions! I just made one for 2.4 GHz. I used a 0.5mm copper plate for a reflector, and wow, was that a mistake. Soldering anything to that massive heat-sink is near impossible. Maybe I'll re-make it with a copper-plated PCB some other time. I haven't tested the antenna yet, but I had a chance to plug it into a meter, take a look at that return loss on the last picture. Is it normal for this kind of antenna? Mind you, my feed is very long at the moment, maybe 1.5 meters.
MXM000 is offline Find More Posts by MXM000
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,350 Posts
MXM000 - Your return loss looks a bit unstable. You might have a defect in the cable (or the feed) causing some resonance effect. This could be skin effect tracking down the tube. Your second major trough in your plot is most certainly skin effect of the signal tracking down the tube.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Jan 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
MXM000 - Your return loss looks a bit unstable. You might have a defect in the cable (or the feed) causing some resonance effect. This could be skin effect tracking down the tube. Your second major trough in your plot is most certainly skin effect of the signal tracking down the tube.

-Alex
Hi Alex just building another of these for myself as they are wicked!
With what you are saying in the above post do you mean the ground is not connected well enough to the tube?

I only ask because I have no means of testing antennas at the mo and for the biquad normally I use a tube attached to the reflector that is a tight fit to the ground when pushed through then fold a bit of the ground sheath over then solder that.
Do you think this is sufficient?

Thanks

John
dallibab is offline Find More Posts by dallibab
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:00 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,350 Posts
What I am saying is that at certain frequencies the tube actually becomes resonant no matter how it is connected due to skin effect. There's nothing you can do about it other than put a ferrite ring around it. I wouldn't bother, though. You are building it just how I build mine: a tight fit tube.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Jan 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
What I am saying is that at certain frequencies the tube actually becomes resonant no matter how it is connected due to skin effect. There's nothing you can do about it other than put a ferrite ring around it. I wouldn't bother, though. You are building it just how I build mine: a tight fit tube.
Thanks
Always worked well just checking. can always be better
dallibab is offline Find More Posts by dallibab