Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:13 PM
T#0
Steamboat Springs, CO
Joined Aug 2010
623 Posts
hmm what would happen if you put two stacked double quads together, one above the other making a stacked quad quad?

I just realized I know basically nothing about antennas work
PilotKeeg is offline Find More Posts by PilotKeeg
Last edited by PilotKeeg; Aug 17, 2011 at 01:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:08 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
Hello BiQuad users....

I just put two BiQuads together,
my question is, as long as both BiQuads' are positioned horizontal, does
it matter which way is up or down concerning the copper wires?

If my both my antennas are postion in this position on my Diversity,
is there a "right side up" of the BiQuad? or it doesn't matter?

YOU Can see it on the 1st picture ....the wires coming of that silicon tube in the Center,
the Right Biquad its "up", and on the Left Biquad it its "down" position.

LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Last edited by LexusFPV; Nov 23, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:30 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
That construction looks very good The rounded corners are preferential to the sharp 90's. Good support with the wooden blocks too (the same way I support mine). Whether the antenna is upside down or not will not matter at all. So long as the polarization is correct, your antenna will perform very well.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:46 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
How would you like to try a CP BiQuad? That might do even better. I can send you the details if you like

-Alex
I am trying to find a tutorial for a CP patch but with no lack.
I have already build a 2.4GHz CP 5T Helical with success but it is rather big to carry around.
Any help is welcome.
Teo
teopbako is offline Find More Posts by teopbako
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:20 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Designed as a collective effort betwenn Mictronics and myself: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....P-patch-design

You should visit us over on FPVLAB. This is the kind of stuff you are missing.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:22 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
969 Posts
On my way already Alex
teopbako is offline Find More Posts by teopbako
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:17 PM
United States, MN, Rochester
Joined Oct 2004
57 Posts
Does not work

I think this antenna is anything but easy to build. Mine no worky. Very, very difficult to solder to a large piece of copper since it is a giant heat sink. Despite throwing 2 propane torches and a 45w iron at it, nothing would work. I took it to the local welder to do it for me for $10. Then, getting the biQuad element lined up also proved very, very difficult.

Anyway, any ideas why mine gets absolutely no reception? Rubber duck in the same room gets signal just fine.
In the pictures, you can see the co-ax shield hanging out. I tried to make it get an electrical connection with the copper tube it is coming out of. Not sure if it did.

The red piece of shrink tubing is there because I think the element is too close to the copper tube. I would think that would isolate them...

My copper tube is not quite on center. But, I have no idea how much tolerance there can be in the alignment.
I used 12AWG wire.

Anyway, an Idea I got from the welder was to split the copper tubing lengthwise and then bend the flanges to a 90 degree angle so that there would be a nice wide surface to weld the copper tube to the reflector. Then, after welding, measure the length and cut it.

Tx antenna is IBCrazy Vee
1280mhz setup
sandmaninator is offline Find More Posts by sandmaninator
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:50 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,886 Posts
Can you post a close up showing the top of the center post?
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:57 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Sandmaninator: It looks like the copper is oxidizing under the heat. You need a good flux to allow the solder to bond with that heat. It also could be that your coaxial cable shield is aulminum. I have seen a few Aluminum coxial cable shields that will not solder. Try a different cable and pre-tin the copper tube with solder before you bring the cable through.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:56 PM
Joined Oct 2004
57 Posts
Quote:
Sandmaninator: It looks like the copper is oxidizing under the heat. You need a good flux to allow the solder to bond with that heat. It also could be that your coaxial cable shield is aulminum. I have seen a few Aluminum coxial cable shields that will not solder. Try a different cable and pre-tin the copper tube with solder before you bring the cable through.

-Alex
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I'll take a top-down photo soon. I took my multimeter and measured resistance between the copper tube to the coax jacket where it attaches to the Rx. It measured .5, sometimes dipping down to .4.
When I touch the multimeter leads together, I get .3. This is with the meter set to 200 Ohms. Still think the co-ax jacket has a bad solder to the copper tube? (trying to save myself some work)
I really do not know much about using a multimeter so, I could have screwed something up.
All the other solder joints are strong - they do not come apart when I pull them. I used 60/40 rosin core solder.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 05:36 PM
Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Khan Uul
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Can someone please post a link to the build information for a double bi-quad?
chuck99z28 is offline Find More Posts by chuck99z28
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:53 PM
Joined Oct 2004
57 Posts
Quote:

-Alex
Alex, It was the Aluminum shielding! Both my first two cable candidates have alu jackets. I found one with copper and all is good now. Can't wait to test it out in the air! THANK you!
I have extra material... may need to build another...

I have a friend that has built your CP antennas for 5.8ghz. I will use those when I move to 5.8 for Helicopters
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:36 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,429 Posts
I made up a biquad and it gives same, maybe even better performance than my 14db Lcom patch. Very pleased.

As it is so easy to make I am making a double biquad.

But I have a question.

Is a stacked double biquad viable?
Would both use the same dimensions, with 1/4 wave separation?

As I use a tracker, happy to have a narrow beam width..

http://postimage.org/image/170yz8qdg/
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:16 AM
Joined Aug 2004
300 Posts
Hi

I have finished my skywalker with a auto return home module on board and test flight it successfully.

I have been using Cloverleaf and Skew Plana Wheel with go results in under 600M range. (probably could be longer range, but I opted not to challenge it without a return home module on board.

I will soon venture into more range and considering the Biquad.

I would like to check if a Cloverleaf in the VTx and Biquad in the VRx a good combo.

I when through the tread but it has not be stated clear what is the best combo.

Thanks for the answer in advance

Regards

Formosa
Formosa is online now Find More Posts by Formosa
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:57 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,429 Posts
The BiQuad here is for linear antennas - not the best match for your cloverleaf which is CP.

The BiQuad you want is here....
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....e-Quad-antenna

It is directional though unlike the skew plana you have, so you will have to fly in the beam, manually aim or use a tracker

What is best depends upon what you want to do and style of flying !!
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG