HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC_BOULOT View Post
....Man who works in the only electronic shop I go, is not able to recognize antenna connector... and I'm starting to not believe at all in his radio skill ...
If this guy did not recognize an F connnector, I think he probably has very little "radio skill"

OMM
Old Man Mike is offline Find More Posts by Old Man Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 05:14 AM
Joined Mar 2006
7 Posts
Thank you for your replies,
I think have enough informations to order all I need to make a real antenna.

JL
JLC_BOULOT is offline Find More Posts by JLC_BOULOT
Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:43 PM
Joined Mar 2006
7 Posts
Sorry I still have a problem : I don't undersand about antenna and plug impedances.
BIQuad antenna is 50 ohms.
F connector are 75 ohms.
Is there a special connector (50 ohms) or is it ok (I would be surprised...) ?

Thanks
Old Aug 08, 2011, 07:06 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,387 Posts
SMA and N connectors are 50 ohms and are fairly common. In FPV we almost universally use SMA. N connectors are used very often for HAM radio. I would suggest getting an F male to SMA female adapter and using prefabricated cable with an SMA end on it to build your antenna.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:35 AM
Joined Mar 2006
7 Posts
Thank you Alex,

I'm going to proceed as you've told me.
Searching for F connectors was starting to be a bit difficult (Till today all persons I asked for knew only F connectors for TV - ie 75ohms).

JL
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:31 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,387 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Alex,

I'm going to proceed as you've told me.
Searching for F connectors was starting to be a bit difficult (Till today all persons I asked for knew only F connectors for TV - ie 75ohms).

JL
This is one of the biggest problems in this hobby: There are many people who think they know what they're doing/talking about that really have no clue. That other BiQuad tutorial you read is someone's poor interpretation of a BiQuad antenna. Looking at it, It looks like they combined mine with MartyBug's website without understanding how the antenna worked.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:14 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,161 Posts
Hello Alex, sorry if this has been asked before, i just got .035" mig wire to do a CL and SPW, can i use this wire to build this BiQuad or it is too thin ?

Also, what would be the performance of this patch with a CL on the VTX ?

Thanks Alex for your great work !!
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:46 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
1,009 Posts
Newbie question

Hey all, can anyone out there tell me(dont laugh too hard) If I can use different Vtxs with one set of Vrxs as long as they are the same ghz? I have a hobywireless 2.4ghz system with 2 Vrxs and a 1000mw Vtx. The 1000mw Vtx works great on my camera plane but I am getting into A.P. with a gaui 330xs and I have been told that the 1000mw Vtx will "swamp" all the other electronics. I need to know if I can use a 10mw or 100 mw Vtx with the Vrxs that I have. I have a few successful fpv flights but it is a little on the heavy side.

My setup:

Stock Gaui 330xs
Batteries 2200mah 3s lipo
800mah 3s lipo for Vtx
1000mw Vtx
Gopro helmet hero
1 futaba servo for camera tilt
Futaba t9cap super w/ stock 72mhz rx
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:07 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacintheclouds View Post
Hey all, can anyone out there tell me(dont laugh too hard) If I can use different Vtxs with one set of Vrxs as long as they are the same ghz?
Yes, you can, if they are using the same frequencies - check it before buy and find corresponding channels.
Rastislavko is offline Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:17 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos View Post
Hello Alex, sorry if this has been asked before, i just got .035" mig wire to do a CL and SPW, can i use this wire to build this BiQuad or it is too thin ?

Also, what would be the performance of this patch with a CL on the VTX ?

Thanks Alex for your great work !!
You could, but I'd use 12 or 14 AWG copper wire simply for ease of assembly. The wire thickness matters very little in the BiQuad design, which is very different from almost any other antenna.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:38 AM
Gravity always laughs last
USA, PA, Milford
Joined Feb 2008
259 Posts
Good reference for connector types

Reference for connectors; should be a sticky.
http://usacoax.com/coax-connector-pi...es_photographs
Cadzilla <easily confused>

Quote:
Thanks for your answers.

I saw IBC antenna a few months ago, and when I had time to make one, I used first link I found... but was not IBC !!! But antenna looked like his...

here the link, it is said it works perfectly :
http://www.modelisme.com/forum/aero-...ion-video.html

Man who works in the only electronic shop I go, is not able to recognize antenna connector... and I'm starting to not believe at all in his radio skill !

I looked on internet, and found so many different SMA plugs...

I'm going to order radio components (plugs and cable RG58U), so could you please tell me where I can get information to know exactly what is this SMA plug ?
I'd like to get connector to solder antenna wire as you guessed.
I suppose radio impedance is 50ohms, I couldnt get this data on my receiver datsheet.

Thank you for your help.
cadzilla is offline Find More Posts by cadzilla
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:05 PM
Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Khan Uul
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Can two (or even four) BiQuad antennas share the same reflector when using multiple receivers? I would expect the reflector to be twice (or four) times the size. But be a single sheet of metal instead of two antenna mounted side by side.

Could you put two 1.3 ghz and two 900 mhz ByQuad antenna's in a quad formation on a single reflector?
chuck99z28 is offline Find More Posts by chuck99z28
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:00 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck99z28 View Post
Can two (or even four) BiQuad antennas share the same reflector when using multiple receivers? I would expect the reflector to be twice (or four) times the size. But be a single sheet of metal instead of two antenna mounted side by side.

Could you put two 1.3 ghz and two 900 mhz ByQuad antenna's in a quad formation on a single reflector?
Yes you can. If you can keep the centers 1/2 wavelength apart, they should not interfere with eachother. For non active antennas (ie 1.3 GHz while flying 900MHz) the spacing is irrelevant.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2011, 03:53 AM
Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Khan Uul
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Thanks Alex,

What about with 1.3 GHZ antenna receiving video downlink and the 900 mhz transceivers receiving and transmitting MAVLINK using XBee RF Modems?

Will they interfere? Should I use some sort of band pass filter on the 1.3 ghz feed?

Maybe put a perpendicular ground plane to separate the 900 and 1.3 antennas?
chuck99z28 is offline Find More Posts by chuck99z28
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:35 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,387 Posts
So long as you separate the elements you should be fine. The only issue you would have is if you wanted to transmit on one and receive on the other. If you are using the array to transmit, it will make it difficult to receive on another band.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member