Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:00 PM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Thanks for the offer Alex. I'll be able to do the work myself. I'm an electronic repair tech so am skilled at small SMD work as well as thru-hole. I opened my VRx last night and the original filter is only soldered in by the legs, no big globs of solder from the filter 'can' to the metal framing for heat sinking. This'll make the swap out much easier...and hopefully better.
Hi Van, don't expect the saw filter to fix your issues, 3km is not right for a patch and a V.
I have a RV Vrx and a DPCAV one and have done the saw filter mod on only one of them and while there is a difference it is not huge. I get 3km video with the 3dbi dipoles so there will be interference from something on your plane or in your area. If video slowly goes grainy then it is unlikely to be from external sources.
I would do range tests with just your vid tx and camera and add something each time to see what is destroying your video range.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:12 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,110 Posts
Thanks Mark. My video to ~1.5miles/2.4km with the V and Patch is actually pretty good, then it just suddenly starts to drop out. I'm not really putting a lot of hope on the SAW filter, but changed it anyway. I think the DPCav system much better quality than the inexpensive Chinese ones. I'm going to reconfigure the mounting of my Vee to move it away from the batteries more to see if that makes any difference. In short though, I'm actually thinking the move to 1280MHz is probably the better option. I'll wait for Alex's new 'experiment' first though. No sense in buying the 1280 VTx/VRx and a patch if Alex's new toy will out perform a patch anyway. I'm in no rush...got time to 'play' first.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:39 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
To me, good video that suddenly drops out suggests multipath interference.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:32 AM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mark. My video to ~1.5miles/2.4km with the V and Patch is actually pretty good, then it just suddenly starts to drop out. I'm not really putting a lot of hope on the SAW filter, but changed it anyway. I think the DPCav system much better quality than the inexpensive Chinese ones. I'm going to reconfigure the mounting of my Vee to move it away from the batteries more to see if that makes any difference. In short though, I'm actually thinking the move to 1280MHz is probably the better option. I'll wait for Alex's new 'experiment' first though. No sense in buying the 1280 VTx/VRx and a patch if Alex's new toy will out perform a patch anyway. I'm in no rush...got time to 'play' first.
I moved from 910MHz to 1280MHz and it was a HUGE improvement. I can now fly over areas that I never could before. And I have not even done the SAW filter mod yet.
rsowder is offline Find More Posts by rsowder
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:35 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,110 Posts
I think the SAW mod is only for the 900MHz frequencies anyway. I'm going to be doing some more experimenting with the 900MHz system for now...kinda helps me from flying farther out than I should while I learn the duration/capabilities of my plane. I think the step to 1280MHz will be in the future for me though...
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:25 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Quote:
I think the SAW mod is only for the 900MHz frequencies anyway. I'm going to be doing some more experimenting with the 900MHz system for now...kinda helps me from flying farther out than I should while I learn the duration/capabilities of my plane. I think the step to 1280MHz will be in the future for me though...
I've done the SAW mod to my ready made rc VRX units. They have the same module as the 900MHz units.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:30 AM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
889 Posts
Alex,

Can't remember if you commented before or not but how much if any difference did yopu see with the SAW mod?

Tom
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:53 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,328 Posts
The Biquad was my first FPV antenna, I used it for over a year ! This brings back memories

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:48 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,095 Posts
Hi Alex,

I'm going to build this antenna today. What is the optimal wire gauge to use for a 1280mhz antenna?

Thanks!
Randy
Old Feb 13, 2011, 01:31 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsowder View Post
Hi Alex,

I'm going to build this antenna today. What is the optimal wire gauge to use for a 1280mhz antenna?

Thanks!
Randy

If it helps at all - I used the uninsulated piece from a 3 strand piece of romex... basically - house wiring. It's solid copper.
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:44 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
If it helps at all - I used the uninsulated piece from a 3 strand piece of romex... basically - house wiring. It's solid copper.
I do have that at home, but I have 14 and 12 gauge wire. I was wondering which would give me the best signal, or does it matter?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:16 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
It doesn't matter. I usually use 14 AWG romex because it is cheap an plentiful.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:57 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
It doesn't matter. I usually use 14 AWG romex because it is cheap an plentiful.
Great, thanks for getting back with me. I think I'll use 12 AWG as it's a little more rugged.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:35 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
That will work fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:37 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte