SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:45 PM
Joined Sep 2009
11 Posts
Help!
Anyone know How to use ailerons same a flaps???

Hello, I can not use ailerons works as flaps. Sorry for my english, Iīm spanish.

My airplane havenīt flaps and I want to use aileron for flaps mode.

Anyone can help me???

Thanks in advance.

Alberto.
planatlas is offline Find More Posts by planatlas
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:50 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Jun 2007
341 Posts
What type of Transmitter ? What receiver ?

Codimasta
AMA 11269
Codimasta is offline Find More Posts by Codimasta
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:03 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,371 Posts
Also, what model? Using ailerons as flaps (flaperons) is a very bad idea on some models as it causes tip stalling and crashes.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:00 AM
Joined Sep 2009
11 Posts
My airplane is P-40 and my radio gear is Eurgle
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:33 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2010
67 Posts
I tried Flaperons on an aerobatic plane just to see how it would work and it didn't. Plane had no roll control and crashed. Expensive test!

When the flaps were deployed both ailerons sat below the wing and so the ailerons didn't work as they should. The ailerons could no longer raise above the wing TE so both were creating a bit more lift and drag, but by a slightly different amount. Worked ok as flaps but not at the same time.

I was told by an experienced pilot that if this technique was to have any chance of working the aileron must still be able to raise above the wing TE.

Greg
RCSaturnFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RCSaturnFlyer
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:59 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSaturnFlyer View Post
I tried Flaperons on an aerobatic plane just to see how it would work and it didn't. Plane had no roll control and crashed. Expensive test!
That's my point, too. You can't use outboard ailerons as flaps. The exception is where they work in conjunction with inboard flaps on, for example, a glider with multi-servo wing. In some cases, flaperons will also work on a model with full span ailerons, but movement must be strictly limited.

The problem with using outboard ailerons as flaps is that it is like twisting the wing to a higher angle of attack (the very opposite of what you need). This makes the tips stall before the center section and can cause snap rolls and even spins on approach. Flaps are supposed to help landings, not make them dangerous!

Models such as the P-40 generally don't need flaps. If they do, you must install proper inboard flaps separate from the ailerons.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:22 AM
Joined Sep 2009
11 Posts
ok, thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:10 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
However, it is possible to use outboard ailerons as `spoilerons' (I would prefer to call them `reflexerons' as that is a more accurate description). Mix them as reverse flaps, giving an upward direction to both ailerons. This gives a similar action to washout and lessens the tips stalling prior to the center portion of the wing. It also adds drag to slow the plane. The overall action closely resembles typical flap operation.

I use it all the time with good results, but it does only work with outboard aileron designs.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:45 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,658 Posts
I think you will need several things. The first is a servo for each side (two servos), a transmitter that will support channel 1 & 6 - the two channels necessary to run the two servos individually. A transmitter that will support flaperons (that is a mix). When you have that capability, then you can run the ailerons as flaprons. That is you can dial in some flap and still use the ailerons as flight controls (that they will continue to operate as ailerons.

Having said all that, I have found flaperons, flaps, butterfly's etc. do not do much for me. Kinda nice to play with once or twice but just straight old ailerons get the job done with ease.

Chip
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:46 AM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,019 Posts
I have used Zaurak3's technique -- ailerons up. That reduces lift requiring the plane to fly more nose up. That than increases drag yielding slower flight. It worked that way for me on several models. Don't know how well it would work for the P-40 though.
Marion
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:21 PM
Joined Sep 2009
11 Posts
I have do flaperons in my radio gear and 2 servos for each ailerons. What is Zaurak3's technique?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:27 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planatlas View Post
I have do flaperons in my radio gear and 2 servos for each ailerons. What is Zaurak3's technique?
planatlas - it's what I described a few posts up. I'm not familiar with your transmitter, but, if you can program flaperons with it, you should be able to program what I call reflexerons (reverse flaperons) with both ailerons deflecting upwards. Is your plane the Kyosho P-40? If so, I believe it does have the scale outboard ailerons, and should work well.

Program about 10-degrees of up ailerons using the flap switch, take off in the normal manner to a safe altitude at cruising speed and try it. The plane should slow with a gentle decent, but you should still have control - if not switch out and re-assess. You may need to adjust the angle of deflection a bit. Keep the nose slightly raised.

This is especially useful with fast models that normally need a long landing approach. If you have a small field, you can shorten the approach and slow the landing with this function.

Good luck!
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:48 PM
Takeoff,Crash,Repair ...
Rio Vista, CA
Joined Jan 2007
226 Posts
We stilll need to know some more about the Transmitter and receiver.

If it is this one
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123610
then the manual at
http://www.r2hobbies.com/manuals/rcps61207.pdf
on page 31 makes it pretty easy to setup flaperons and/or spoilerons.

BUT, look at post 22 in the Rcgroups...maybe not so easy???
kg6uvp is offline Find More Posts by kg6uvp
Last edited by kg6uvp; Oct 26, 2010 at 06:01 PM.