HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:30 PM
Joined Oct 2010
2 Posts
Discussion
Choosing an autopilot system?

Hi everyone! I am part of a university team in the UK tasked with designing, building and flying our own UAV. It has to be able to fly by remote control and also autonomously and has to provide a live video feed and GPS data to a groundstation running on a standard laptop.

I am responsible for the avionics side of things, ie choosing an autopilot and video system and configuring a groundstation. Unfortunately we are on quite a tight budget and I have only a maximum of 250 to 300 GBP available (about 450USD). Currently I am looking at two options:

1) ArduPilot board+ ArduShield + IR stabilization + GPS + video equipment + wireless telemetry (xbee)
2) UAV DevBoard + GPS + video equipment + wireless telemetry

I am obviously in the very beginning stages and have no previous experiences with developing autopilots. Any thoughts and suggestions on either the ArduPilot or the UAV DevBoard would be greatly appreciated!

On a different note I am also looking at using the Remzibi OSD instead of xbee telemetry. Any thoughts and pointers on this topic are also very welcome!

Thank you for any help you can provide!
yaniman is offline Find More Posts by yaniman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:38 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
take a look here
http://diydrones.com/
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:47 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined May 2008
176 Posts
Possibly look to the forum links at the bottom of the page under "similar threads", or possibly even look in the UAV forum. I would not go for IR stabilization but rather for piezo gyros they are cheap enough and could also be digitally linked through your other control electronics.
Terry Pieters is offline Find More Posts by Terry Pieters
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:23 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,615 Posts
Also, www.fyetech.com
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:42 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
And be prepared to spend BIG bucks. Stuff like this can sometimes cost more than a home
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 25, 2010, 06:20 PM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Post a question in this thread to Daniel Wee, he designed an OSD which he has now programmed in waypoint missions so it can fly autonomously.
DOSD+ V2
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211816

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman