SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:01 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,178 Posts
Question
2 female bullet connectors on battery side VS one/female on battery?

Hey everyone. I have been using Deans Ultra connectors on all my aiplanes. I recently bought some 5.5mm bullet sprung connectors from HK for my higher powered planes over 80A (some are around 125A).

I have read MANY of the threads that argue what type of connector is best, which one's are safer, etc., and decided upon the plain old bullet connectors. I plan to just shrink wrap the ends of course to reduce the risk of polarity issues. However, I want to know what the best way to do this is. I don't have a fancy way to transport batteries to field, as I know some people are carrying it in a fireprrof safe, etc. I carry mine in a bag, but am thinking I should take more precaustion now that I am switching to bullet connectors. I was thinking to reduce the risk of the plugs touching, I would solder ALL female connectors to the batteries and ALL males connecotrs to the ESC. I don't plan to run any packs in series or anything, so this should suffice. What are your thoughts on running all female connectors on the batteries? With using this method, is there a large risk in the connectors on the batteries touching when being transported? I don't want my limbs or car to blow up/set on fire . Thanks again!
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Last edited by T-CAT; Oct 25, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:40 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,849 Posts
I use females on the batteries - no problems (yet).
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:52 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,925 Posts
There is always the possibility/probability that the pack could be connected up reverse polarity..... goodbye ESC !

You can always take careful note of what you are doing but one day.....

One female connector on the lipo (I put mine on the positive lead) and a male connector on the negative lead should prevent hooking the pack up wrong. To stop the connectors inadvertently touching slip an elastic band over the lipo and tuck the leads under that. To be extra safe slip a plastic bag over the pack so it doesn't come into contact with another one.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:16 PM
United States, NY, Angola
Joined Jul 2010
291 Posts
Yep I agree with sparklet. Use one female and one male conector on the esc and do the same(but opposite) for the battery. For example: The ESC, female on the negative male on the positive. The battery do male on the negative and female on the positive. Then you won't mistakenly reverse them or they won't touch and short when you carry them. I fried my esc. I was always very carefull about it everytime I connected my battery and ESC. I always looked and one day I didn't, it just slipped my mind. It cost me a new ESC. The battery was fine and I still keep an eye on it cause hey you never know.
Ghost Plane is offline Find More Posts by Ghost Plane
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:24 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,178 Posts
Thanks everyone for your advice. Out of curiosity, if I chose to put two females on the batteries and 2 male connectors on the ESC, I don't have to worry about the ESC connectors touching just sitting there without the battery attached, correct? I would assume not, because there is nothing supplying energy to the ESC. What would be the benefits of using female/female connector on the battery instead of male/female besides lessening the chance of reverse polarity?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:19 PM
Joined Jul 2010
291 Posts
You can put to male connectors on the esc and not worry about them touching. There's no power there without the battery connected to it. The battery if you put 2 male connectors on it and they touch they will short. The reason for using opposite is so you don't reverse polarity and fry anything. Trust me use the methood we discribbed. No matter how carefull you are there's always that chance you could reverse them and fry something if you do it with 2 males on the esc and 2 females on the battery. Why risk it?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:35 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,178 Posts
That is very true, and I think I'll take everyone's advice. I was only thinking of using two female bullet connectors on the battery for ease of use. It was just an easy way to know what connector goes on the battery VS the ESC when soldering, and also allowed me to reduce the risk of the connectors touching when in the flight bag. Thanks again! I really appreciate all the advice.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:44 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,849 Posts
The connectors IMO should always be polarized so they can't be plugged together wrong.
The HK polarized bullet connectors is what I use.
Likw these http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9625
or these
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9284

You can connect these up either f/f or f/m or m/m.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:27 AM
Joined Jul 2010
291 Posts
Yep. These are what I use. Same as your second link but the 4mm version.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9283
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:57 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,292 Posts
If there are no plastic sleeves available, you can protect the male on the battery by using heat shrink. Take a loose female and put on two layers of heat shrink. Then connect it to the male and shrink one long tube on the male side, covering the male completely. Then pull out the female connector.
Heat shrink can also be used to make loose caps to put on when the pack is not in use.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:18 AM
KMR
Joined May 2007
111 Posts
i was an electrician for 30 some years, and i can tell you, if your pissed or anxious over something, you'll mix polarities. Doesn't matter if it's colour coded or what, you'll do it. Say goodbye to a few fets on your esc's and if you are using a Li -poly battery you'd better have a window open. Don't breath the smoke and be prepared to heave it out.
LOL, it may be funny but it'll cost you, both effort and cash!
KMR is offline Find More Posts by KMR
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:28 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,925 Posts
Connectors which can't be put together the wrong way, such as Deans and the new type being used on lipos by Hobbyking, l are the best way to go.

The question was about using bullet connectors so that was what we advised on.

Using bullet connectors properly should be O.K but still not as foolproof as connections that can't be plugged in the wrong way and are also shielded against accidental contact.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:01 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2008
34 Posts
Using deans connectors in there proper application is the best way to go as descibed above. I have used bullet connectors in the past (now use Deans on all main power connections) without fail doing the following....
1. Offset the connections. eg 10mm-15mm shorter than the other
2. Heatshrink black - and red +
3. Choice is yours. female/female or male/female
MASJO is offline Find More Posts by MASJO
Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:34 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,178 Posts
Thanks everyone. I am taking all this into consideration. I ordered these 5.5mm bullet connectors: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9763

They look good and seem to work just fine when test fitting. They seem to have improved them from before. However, there are no plastic sleeves or coverings for added safety. Therefore, it looks like I must shrink wrap them, and that's fine. I'll probably use the method everyone described, which is using a male/female connector on the battery, as well as the ESC side. I will be shrink wrapping using the color coded (red/black) method to also help me visually when connecting the connectors.

I have deans on all my other application below 75A, but to be honest, I don't trust them on my applications that having a high Amp. rating. I have read in numerous threads an other articles that deans don't produce power as well as bullet connectors on higher Amp applications. I don't want to have the issues that may arrive during high Amp use such as desoldering.