HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:13 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Some more tweaks in order.

* A drain plug would be a nice addition
* Add a Jib Line Guide to the Mast step area. Same guide AQ is using at the Stern. (see pic)

Pics of the Mast step that is pinching the line as you navigate the course.

Also the Green lines are my Angle Indicators set at 80 degrees. You can see the short extension I am getting (boom vang) when I have about 3-5 degrees off midline when the Main Boom is close hauled.
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:19 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
994 Posts
How are the sails holding up? Are they made from mylar or cloth? I'm curious as I need aset for my Voyager and I saw the sails are available seperately...
I'm also wondering how they attach. Thanks for any info.
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:20 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,580 Posts
JD, String,
Great stuff! Pictures are terrific, and I can see the dock and the shoreline you boys are dealing with. Not as bad as I imaged. I will be following your up dates on the correction to the sail control issues and the water intrusion.
Water leaks bug me!
Thanks guys
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:48 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
To discuss your issues with the Vela, I suggest you contact Aquacraft at http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/techsupport/index.html
I would ask to speak to the developer/R&D guy who is featured in this video. He should have lots of experience with the boat.
Aquacraft Vela Fiberglass Carbonfiber Sailboat (1 min 29 sec)

AquaCraft® Models Vela™ One-Meter 2.4GHz Sailboat (1 min 52 sec)

The booms not sheeting out to 80% - You should not have to be thinking about changing the sail servo. The manual says you are supposed to be able to sheet out to 80% with the TX set to sheet in tight to the midline. Possibly something is wrong in the rigging or the sail servo arm is not moving its full specified(?) travel arc. Or the manual is wrong.
The pinched jib sheet - That sounds like something is not rigged right or it's a basic design problem. You might temporarily try placing a piece of tape or something at the bottom of the mast to keep the sheet from going under it.

Jack
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters
Last edited by jpatters; Jan 31, 2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added a video
Old Jan 31, 2011, 05:27 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
JD.... I am going to try one of these on my China Team. With the narrow hull I need more travel on the sail servo double arm. Might give you more outhaul also.

http://www.servocity.com/html/180o_servo_stretcher.html

Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Jan 31, 2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:04 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
I dont see how its a rigging issue. Its a issue getting enough line travel to fully outhaul the sail.

Inhaul is limited by the Servo Sail Arm hitting the Keel tube. There is 155 degrees of Servo Sail Arm Travel end point to useful endpoint. This is only providing approx 7 inches of line extension/retrieval.

All of this is being done with the Boom Vang adjusted to provide Main Boom parallel to the deck.

I think the 3.5 Turn Hitec Sail Drum Servos only provide the same amount of line travel. Noticed a servo recently from xxx Brand china that listed 6 Turn Drum. That should do the trick if the drums not too small.

BTW - I think this is a great performing boat. And most people would do well with the boat as is. I just want the max performance possible. Id rather detune the travel available, then not be able to add it.

Im racing smaller, and sometimes swifter Seawinds that have max outhaul for the downwind legs. I dont want to give up any advantage I can have carrying more sail then they can on this section of the course
Last edited by JDCrow; Jan 31, 2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:07 AM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967250s View Post
How are the sails holding up? Are they made from mylar or cloth? I'm curious as I need aset for my Voyager and I saw the sails are available seperately...
I'm also wondering how they attach. Thanks for any info.
Seem to be doing well. Some of the ink has a few scratches missing, but no torn or extremely creased marks. They appear to be a mylar blend of some type. They call them thermal plastic mylar something of something somewhere.

They are inexpensive for a set and have great visual on the water.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:11 AM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatters View Post
To discuss your issues with the Vela, I suggest you contact Aquacraft at http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/techsupport/index.html
I would ask to speak to the developer/R&D guy who is featured in this video. He should have lots of experience with the boat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7w1O5_GQJ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gBMDtXLW0s

The booms not sheeting out to 80% - You should not have to be thinking about changing the sail servo. The manual says you are supposed to be able to sheet out to 80% with the TX set to sheet in tight to the midline. Possibly something is wrong in the rigging or the sail servo arm is not moving its full specified(?) travel arc. Or the manual is wrong.
The pinched jib sheet - That sounds like something is not rigged right or it's a basic design problem. You might temporarily try placing a piece of tape or something at the bottom of the mast to keep the sheet from going under it.

Jack
Ive watched every video I can find on the Vela sailing. The AQ videos all show what appears to be extra outhaul on the Weather Mark leg setup.

I can adjust trim so I can acheive max out for downwind. But that would really affect the slot tuning on the jib when trying to sail close hauled and reach's. Id rather not compromise one that much for the other, in either scenario.
Last edited by JDCrow; Feb 01, 2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:21 AM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Hey there,

For your sheet ravel problem...Looks like the stock set up is a single purchase system. You can get yourself a turning block from Graupner online...or more expensive options as well....then basically you will tie off one end of the sheet line to the inside of the boat where the sheet actually exits. Then the line would go around the block on your sail arm, back through the existing hole to run like you have it....This will in crease your sheet travel by 2. You could then shorten your sail arm, increasing your overall torque to fine tune your needed sheet travel. Easy fix!

Brian
RG-sailor is offline Find More Posts by RG-sailor
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:57 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
RG-sailer, knew there was a way to do that, just not sure how. Could you post maybe a drawing or a picture of the set up so I can get it right in my head.

Thanks.
Stringfly <>++++
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:38 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG-sailor View Post
Hey there,

For your sheet ravel problem...Looks like the stock set up is a single purchase system. You can get yourself a turning block from Graupner online...or more expensive options as well....then basically you will tie off one end of the sheet line to the inside of the boat where the sheet actually exits. Then the line would go around the block on your sail arm, back through the existing hole to run like you have it....This will in crease your sheet travel by 2. You could then shorten your sail arm, increasing your overall torque to fine tune your needed sheet travel. Easy fix!

Brian
It works with one very big "but": the effective pull on the sheet is halved with double hauling. Servo travel extenders also work, but at the expense of speed and resolution.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Yes you would double the pull on your servo, but he could also shorten his arm from the current length to regain some of the lost power while lengthening his line travel.

Brian
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
I'll draw something up...

Brian
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:34 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Thanks !
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:52 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
715 Posts
The middle diagram on page 58 here is probably closest to the setup that might work for you http://www.theamya.org/boats/us1m/pdf/us1mconst.pdf
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist