Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:19 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Sources for SS Turnbuckles and SS leader

Jim
For the leader contact: http://www.southcreekshop.com/AFW-Su...essLeader.html

It comes in two different size rolls 30 and 300' be sure you order the matching sleeves to crimp the lines in place.

American Fishing Wire Surflon 1X7 Stainless Leader C030T-0
30 lb Test: Diameter .024" - Length 30 ft - Color: Bright $3.59

American Fishing Wire Surflon 1X7 Stainless Leader C030T-4
30 lb Test: Diameter .024" - Length 300 ft - Color: Bright $26.09

or 45lb test
American Fishing Wire Surflon 1X7 Stainless Leader C045T-0
45 lb Test: Diameter .028" - Length 30 ft - Color: Bright $3.74

American Fishing Wire Surflon 1X7 Stainless Leader C045T-4
45 lb Test: Diameter .028" - Length 300 ft - Color: Bright $27.07

Sleeves in order 30lb and 45lb
3 Bright C030T-0
S3, 4, 4L Bright C045T-0

The best place I have found for the SS turnbuckles is from sailetc.com (the manufacturer) or Denton Roberts @ Radio Yacht Supplies Australia at www.rysa.com.au
email @ sales@rysa.com.au or radioyacht.supp@optusnet.com.au
The turnbuckles on your Nirvana and my Yamaha are part number
#030-030 are called rigging screws single end and he has them in stock $5.18each plus a little postage. I got 7 last order and it was $3.00 postage.
I think he also sells the Pekabe 482 style as well.

I included pictures of the items mentioned above.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 09, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:47 PM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
132 Posts
Ralph from Sacramento CA, has just got his VELA One Meter, will be talking soon.
ralphhager is offline Find More Posts by ralphhager
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:14 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Most fishing supply stores carry coated wire leader and the associated crumpling sleeves. 30, 45, 60, 90# weight. Approximate $2.50 for 30 yards
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:27 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
JD
Out here where I am, it was near impossible to find any tackle shops that carried the 1x7 strand SS nylon coated leader in the clear or bright finish. I had to resort to the internet to find it. I think you boys do more of the kind of fishin that requires this stuff.

No matter, Surflon is very good quality leader that I've been using for several years now, and unless I find something better, I'll stick with it. Always open.

Boomer
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:38 PM
Norman2
Connestee Falls, Brevard, North Carolina
Joined Mar 2006
392 Posts
Hi, Spectra Fishing line in 90 lb test is just as good as any SS coated leaded for shrouds,
backstays and head stays. Much easier to get. Regards
Norman2
Norman2 is offline Find More Posts by Norman2
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:40 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Ok boys, I have taken the step and ordered a Vela. Should arrive next week. I appreciate all the feed back from those who had the "huevos" to order theirs on faith.

I have read all the comments, reviewed the pictures, and am now am a believer, and thinking that this boat might just be the next Seawind. This view is based on what has been posted by forum members and from their photos. Dare I say it, could it be a better boat? The construction appears to be a tad higher quality, but how will it sail? Time will tell!

I look forward to getting my hands on the Vela, putting a critical eye on it, and finally, putting her to the test, sailing her! It might be interesting to do a side by side comparion of the two boats.

I will be posting pictures and my thoughts in the near future. This should be fun!

Boomer

PS
String, Thanks for the where to buy tip! It saved me a little $$ and makes the boat more appealing at the price I paid.
The price is a push with an ABS Seawind once you add in the electronics, perhaps a little less.
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 28, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:54 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
901 Posts
Excellent! I'll be waiting for your sailing reports & pics.

Take care,
Jim
jimklein is offline Find More Posts by jimklein
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:41 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Hope to see JD's Vela sailing again this weekend. Weather warm Sat. and Sunday, 60's. Have my China Team boat just about ready to sail. So far no real problems but have modded a few areas that needed it.

Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:52 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post
Hope to see JD's Vela sailing again this weekend. Weather warm Sat. and Sunday, 60's. Have my China Team boat just about ready to sail. So far no real problems but have modded a few areas that needed it.

Stringfly <>++++
Side stay and back stay hardware changed out to Crane Swivel snaps. Eventually I'll switch over to turnbuckles. This should survive much better now.

After closer inspection of the lines, they are braided lines. Maybe a 20-30# test spectra or something similar.

Greased up the rudder shaft. Some final radio trim adjustments tomorrow night. Hopefully will not have to work on Sunday and be able to play.

Look forward to seeing your new 1M String. We may have to bring some waders so we can launch without having to lower them from the pier.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:39 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
JD, String,
You guys are dedicated! Lowering from a pier, waders, man you guys a true sailors.
I have got to see how you lower your boats from a pier. How high is it? Or is it more of warf?
I admire your dedication.

I attached a couple of pictures of the type of hard work we have to do to get our boats in to the water.
Compared to what you guys have to do, seriously, we are so spoiled it is a joke.
I don't know the temps are you boys will be sailing in this weekend, but it was 75* here today. I know,
keep that kind of info to myself!

Boomer
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:10 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Sailing....

Beautiful lakes Boomer!!!! Ah the good life!!! Because of the shallow water at shore we lower from the dock carefully which isn't to bad. Retrieval is a little trickier but works.

Great here yesterday, also 75 *, light wind until later in the afternoon then about 8 to 10. Got my China Team in the water finally. Did well, have some sail issues to work out but sailed fine. My friends and my Seawind we were playing with also. Friends Seawind was just as fast as my China, no really speed difference yet. Time to race the VELA !!!!!

Stringfly <>++++++
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Jan 30, 2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 06:17 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Vela, Seawind and China Team.....

Good day Sunday and nice winds. JD's Vela, Bruce's Seawind and my China Team. Some pictures. Me playing catch up most of the time but a good time by all.
Vela and Seawind doing great. China still in shake out mode, at least that's my story !!!

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Jan 30, 2011, 06:17 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
great time sailing the Vela, TT Team China, and Seawind today. All three performed competitively.

I had a couple of issues Im going to work thru. Still getting water in the hull. Either coming in from the hardware attachment points, hatches, or still thru the rudder/keel shafts. I'll find it eventually.

Had my jib line port side of the mast. After sailing a port tack close hauled, then tacking starboard to the mark. I kept having an issue rounding the mark and setting sail downwind. My jib would not extend. Ended up my jib line kept fouling under the mast step. Getting pinched on the upwind legs of the course. Need to add a guide for the jib line near the mast step to keep this from occuring. I am sure the stay lines are still strectching some and I need to do a better job of adjusting the rigging each time into the water.

No matter how I rig the lines, I can't achieve close haul on the main, and the recommended 80 degrees outhaul on the main/jib. Maybe replacing the sail servo/arm with a sail winch will improve the amount of sail travel we can achieve. Feedback or Suggestions welcome on this one.

Boat sailed really good. Good acceleration and speed, headed into the weather really well Excellent attitude down wind and wing-to-wing. Held course with minimum to no helm input.

More on the way the boat holds course. After sailing for a couple day trips, and extended time on the water today, As we were all heading to the weather mark, Vela was nicely traveling on her port tack close hauled. About the time I was ready to tack to Starboard on my lay-line, she didnt respond. Lost radio contact. She never luffed and sailed across the lake.

She took on enough water, that the receiver either shut down (I need a can of CorrosionX. Hint Hint. Wink Nod), and/or the batteries, (energizer lithium) just ran out of juice. Tried another battery box and fresh batteries when I got home, but no communication between the TX and RX. I'll let it dry out and try again later.

Great boat. And a mix of TT's, HK's, and the Vela should make a fun, well matched, class of 1Meter racing.

JD
Last edited by JDCrow; Jan 30, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:26 PM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
132 Posts
JDCrow: Great report on the VELA, keep us posted on the issue you found today. Are you using the radio system that came with the VELA? I haven’t got to my VELA yet, will try and get started this coming week….Ralph
ralphhager is offline Find More Posts by ralphhager
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:54 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphhager View Post
JDCrow: Great report on the VELA, keep us posted on the issue you found today. Are you using the radio system that came with the VELA? I haven’t got to my VELA yet, will try and get started this coming week….Ralph
Thanks Ralph.

Still using the Tactic 2.4 radio gear and servos that come in the boat. It all works well. Is all dried out and working normally again
Last edited by JDCrow; Jan 30, 2011 at 07:59 PM.