SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Keel breakage

I wouldn't worry about it at all unless the new one breaks. I pick mine up and carry it to the car, fully rigged, by the keel all of the time. I know it's not smart but I do it that way and after I lay it in the car, I remove the keel and throw it in the car. I have even had wind gusts almost rip the entire boat out of my hands when I came around the corner at home. At the lake, I try to stop it but I have ran it into the concrete boat ramp a few times also. (bad enough that I had to sand out the gouges on the bottom of the keel) I always felt that it was a pretty tough boat.
freewill51 is offline Find More Posts by freewill51
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:05 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
394 Posts
Yep,

Try dropping the boat in cold waters, after a warm ride in the cabin of your car. Or, vice versa.

A rapid change in temperature will cause a premature failure. Not necessarily just cold temperatures ....
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:32 AM
osito
Joined Jan 2013
39 Posts
i always support the keel when moving the boat, also cold can cause the keel to crack because the metal exspands faster than the plastic.All this stuff is mass producted, anything can happen.
osito is offline Find More Posts by osito
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:38 AM
osito
Joined Jan 2013
39 Posts
i always support the keel when moving the boat, also cold can cause the keel to crack because the metal exspands faster than the plastic.All this stuff is mass producted, anything can happen.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:37 AM
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
well when I transport my boat, I use the stand. I take the mast off and put the stand in the back of my van, lay down one seat and lay the sails on that. the boat is in its cradle and should be protected.

I guess it could have been a cold water issue, but really ive sailed in colder this season.

I grounded the boat right at the end of my sailing, but I was running parallel to the beach, heeled over to starboard and not running very fast. So I dont think I grounded hard enough to do this kind of damage. I guess it could just be a defective part.

I just dont know.
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:59 PM
osito
Joined Jan 2013
39 Posts
my keel just broke ,and the break looks the same.I was sailing it in my pool ,about 45 degrees ???they are sending new keel.What if i was sailing on a lake, i just bought a small kayak to go get it.My break looks like rons cracked keel.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
Im Very sorry that your experienceing the same thing as me. However Im kinda happy that Im not the only one. It means I didnt do anything wrong.

I stopped by Lowes today and picked up some fiberglass mat, and some resin. I think total cost out the door was something like 20$. A new keel is 25 so I consider it money well spent.

Additionally I filled my keel with JB weld and clamped it today.

My new Keel is supposed to arrive via UPS tomorrow and I will be fiberglassing both of them. First the old one for practice and then the new one. I dont want this to happen again. So I plan on putting the thinnest possible ammount of fiberglass on it.

I know some people have said it will add drag, but I kinda think the ammount of drag will be negliglbe(sp?) compared to the security and strength it will add.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:50 PM
osito
Joined Jan 2013
39 Posts
my new CARR B sails worked great in 2 knots or less wind, the Vela was flying, until the keel fell off.Maybe the CARR sails are to fast for the Vela, i could cut them in half
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:53 PM
osito
Joined Jan 2013
39 Posts
I think the keel problem is only up were the shaft is, so maybe you only have to support that part. ??
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
well actually, I had cracks in the plastic at the bulb end of the keel as well.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:01 PM
osito
Joined Jan 2013
39 Posts
i wonder if it is a batch of plastic, we both got velas at about the same time.I have a friend that makes archery bows, so we are going to use his flexable epoxy to fix the new and old keels.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:39 AM
Houston, we've had a problem.
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
hi i picked up a vela today and in the middle of putting it together i also ran into this where the pad is there but not shown or talked about it the manuel. I see that u guys touched on this and there were some reply to leave the pad, i was just wondering if this is still the way to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Are you asking about the base of the mast in the pictures below? If so review page 8 of the instruction manual. I don't see any black rubber insert. Perhaps you could take a picture of the part you are asking about? That would be helpful.

Let me know.
RcCrawler82 is offline Find More Posts by RcCrawler82
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:03 AM
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
Yes, you should leave the pad.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:06 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
914 Posts
Pad is for the mast to sit on. I use it.
Leon, I think that could be true that maybe a bad batch of plastic. Did you see if Aquacraft will warranty the failure? I have had no problems with my keel. I carbon or glass keel fin would be a great upgrade, but I do not posess the skill to make that. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:13 AM
Houston, we've had a problem.
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
awesome, thank you for your quik answer.
RcCrawler82 is offline Find More Posts by RcCrawler82