SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:50 AM
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
360 Posts
Funny thing. I was looking at the stats Mr Carr posted, and I decided that I wanted to get a second set of sails for my boat. the wind is frequently over 15mph up here and I dont want to be limited in my sailing days.

SOooo anyway, i looked up the stock sails. And they are 25$ from tower. So I figured with mr Carrs generous listing of the dimentions, that I would get these and cut them down.

So why not check into the whole thing, Mast, boom, sails the whole thing. Then I could just swap out rigging.

Well the carbon fiber mast was listed at 41$ or something close to that. Well that kinda knocks out doing this on the cheap. But then I see a listing for the boom. the description says, Main, boom, and jib boom. So I click and re-read it. Yes indeed, its listed as including the Main carbon fiber mast, aluminium main and jib booms. And for how much?? How about 31.00$ LoL, So I had the LHS order it. And sure enough, it came in for the price indicated with all the above parts.

So gents, you can order a mast for your vela for 41$ or mast, boom and jib for 31$

My B rig is going to be a quick swap and done.
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:39 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Tactic Introduces Computer Radios

Tactic, a Hobbico proprietary Hobbico brand, has listed new computer-programmable transmitters on their website:

6-Ch: http://www.tacticrc.com/transmitters...650/index.html

8-Ch: http://www.tacticrc.com/transmitters...850/index.html

For Vēla owners, this allows binding your stock receiver to a fully-functional transmitter, without the need to buy a new receiver.

The 6 & 8 channel transmitters are overkill for a 2-channel surface vehicle; however, the programmable functions will allow rudder exponential, EPA/ATV sheet adjustment, lap timers, multi-boat memory, and auxiliary channels.

The multi-model memory also allows for binding any Tx-R - transmitter ready - aircraft: http://www.tx-ready.com/txr-aircraft.html

Hobbico compares the new 6-channel Tactic Tx, to the extremely popular Spektrum Dx6i: http://www.tacticrc.com/transmitters...son_chart.html
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined Jan 2013
360 Posts
So far I have recieved my turnbuckles. I only orderd 4 and I should have orderd 5. I got a price break the first time, but the fifth will cost me like 7-8 bucks. LoL, which is funny since I got the first 4 for like 15$ shipped. (sigh)

I ordred 250lb test spectra to use through-out the boat due to its 1mm thickness. I plan on running double sheets and adding at least 2 pulleys and I dont want the line to get hung in between any moving parts.

Lastly I ordered my first pulley, its on its way as freakin slow as possible across the US. I have one more pulley to order, and that will be all the upgrades untill I piece together a B set of sails.

So much for my upgrades. What are you doing with your boat?

My weather report for Saturday the 16th of Feb 2013 says:
Quote:
Partly cloudy skies. High 61F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
So I know Where Ill be for a couple of hours.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:00 AM
Joined Jan 2013
360 Posts
Finally got my vela on the water on presidents day.

And came away with a cracked keel. Ill post pics tomorrow. Keel is cracked top and bottom.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:54 AM
Joined Jan 2013
360 Posts
Here are the pictures of the two failures in the Vela Keel. The larger crack is at the top and the smaller is at the bottom.

I cant imagine what caused this. Additionally this is only the fourth time Ive even had this boat in the water.

Any input from any of you more experienced folks out there?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
360 Posts
UPDATE:

I spoke with aquacraft (hobico) and explained my situation. They imediatly with no debate sent me a new keel.

So all is well. The next one though Im going to reinforce with a layer of fiberglass.

Again, all input is welcome on this situation.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:37 PM
Sailboat rookie.....
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts
Was it maybe tightened to tight?
04_MINI is offline Find More Posts by 04_MINI
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Jan 2013
360 Posts
well I didnt use any tools to tighten it. I greased and hand tightened it, but maybe. I wouldnt have thought that that would do it though.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:18 PM
Sailboat rookie.....
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts
Shouldn't have caused any problems. But those are very weird cracks. Nice to see Aquacraft step up and get a new one out to you.
04_MINI is offline Find More Posts by 04_MINI
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:46 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Hard=Brittle

Rapid changes in temperature can cause cracks in composite materials. And, most metals have a high level of thermal conductivity. The keel bolt appears to be the real culprit in your defect. A layer of fiberglass will, likely, cause a defect at the next weakest link, and add more drag to your boat.

This has happened to many of my composite parts, on models I operate in the winter, and my solution is to use a less brittle material, or add a layer of "give", such as a rubber grommet, o-ring, gasket, etc. Elastic deformation will help composite parts survive the brutal winter temperatures, but most manufacturers don't offer these parts, so the design is mostly trial-and-error.
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Jan 2013
360 Posts
I sailed the first time at a temperature of about 35 degrees outside.

This was about the fourth of possibly the fifth outting. Temperature was about 51 outside with about 4 - 8 mph winds.

Admittadly I had tightened the boat up pretty good, but no tools were used.

Right at the end of the sailing, I grounded her. Now not like you may think. I was running parallel to the shore, and the boat was heeled over about 45 degrees and not running to fast. I was trying to make a close pass to inspect the shroud lines before I headed back out over deeper water towards the pier. And I ran aground with the keele. Again, not head on and not at speed. So I really dont think that this was the cause of the breakage.

The keel bolt is short. the upper one actually ends at the J in the break. And the lower one is of similar size.

Maybe a piece of Neopreen between the keel and the hull would work? Ive got an old knee brace or something around here Im sure. So the material is only like 1/8in thick or so.

And while yes, the fiberglass may add some drag, it will also add some strength to the keel. And since I dont race at all, this is the big thing for me.

more input is welcome guys.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:22 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
I have sailed my boat in both cold and very hot weather and also purchased another keel bulb with modifications. I now have three keel bulbs and two keels, I have had no problems with any of them. The one thing I heard about the vela was that you should get two thin 0-rings and slip them on the keel before you lock it in place. I don't know if this makes a big difference but hope it may add to your ideas. ronnied
ronnied is offline Find More Posts by ronnied
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Jan 2013
360 Posts
I had heard thej O-ring thing too. But it was generally addressed to the leaking problem that some people have had.

I put a generous ammount of marine grease on my keele before I installed it. Even on top of the keel itself. Ive never had a drop of water inside my boat yet.

This failure is kinda bothering me.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:14 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
The reason I used two 0-rings was both for water leaking, and it also made a cushion when I tightened down the keel. I was hoping that it would take the pressure of of the composite and plastic. ronnied (just a suggestion)
ronnied is offline Find More Posts by ronnied
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:25 PM
Joined Jan 2013
360 Posts
I see you point. But wouldnt it make a pivot point and put the pressure around where the keel attaches to the hull and not spread the pressure out over the groove?

Im thinking of putting neoprene or maybe a rubber matt the length of the keel groove. But again, im not sure how this will effect things.