HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:21 PM
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
327 Posts
Problems today sailing.

So I took my Vela out today for the Third time in the water.

New Anemometer said that the wind was .5 and up to 6.0 the average being about 2-3mph.

I was sailing at the local marina as seen here on Google Maps

So I put the boat in the water at the fishing docks. (lower left little square looking platform) and I sail across the Marina towards the Red square dive marker.

The wind was funny and I walked around the western edge sailing the boat as I went. The point was to reach a point on the marina where there were a couple of bouyes about 50 meter apart that I could pratice tacking around back and forth.

HOWEVER..... I reached the first bouy, and started out towards the middle of the lake, I began to lose control. And back to the map, if you see the little squigle white line at the south end of the marina, thats about where I ended up recovering the boat. the side stays had given out and all the lines were slack. and it was near impossible to control. The mast had about 10 degree of play at the top.

Now that was a long story (with pictures) but this isnt really the first time. The last time I took the boat out, the stays loosend. And I was sailing close to shore and noticed right away. I fixed it and TA-DA no worries. But today it happend on an outbound leg away from shore. And for quite a while I was worried that the boat was going to sink. BTW its about 120Ft deep in the middle. So this was a major scare.

So in conclusion, Im considering some pulleys, and some turnbuckles for the rigging. Additionally Im considering useing epoxy to fix the top and bottom of the mast together and perhaps the side stays in place.

Any thoughts or considerations on this? I dont think I want to go to Stainless line of the side stay lines. And Ive already changed out the clips. I just want this small problem to go away.
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:39 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Swap out your standing rigging to this line or something similar. http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/RiggingLine.asp Item 313. Get the recomended bowsies or a turnbuckle and your in business. Would highly recomend epoxying top and bottom of mast together. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:11 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin055 View Post
..... And for quite a while I was worried that the boat was going to sink. BTW its about 120Ft deep in the middle. So this was a major scare.
The first modification ALL my sailboats get is some polystyrene in the hull. IF you are unlucky enogh to have a major leak (eg hatch moves or comes off) where the boat fills with water, it will then sink to deck level, but no further and can be recovered as it is still on the surface. I have sunk one of my boats a couple of times (it had a very poor hatch, plus I was sailing in conditions that were FAR too rough for the boat) - when the hull is full of water, it floats with the bow up and the mast foot just underwater...

I use polystyrene from computer packaging (the white squeaky stuff) cut into about 1 cm square strips - just stuff it up into the bow till no more will fit. If you can get some aft of the hatch without fouling rudder linkage etc, add some there too....

Works for me...... wouldnt be without it...

Regarding the rigging - I replace the standing rigging with fishing braid (100-200lb test) and replace all the bowsies with some good quality ones (I make my own bowsies from thin aluminium, servo arms and horns are also real good....)

Hope this helps
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Last edited by mrpenguin; Jan 27, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:28 AM
osito
Joined Jan 2013
39 Posts
I just replaced my standing rigging with wire rigging and turn buckels from midwest model.the boat looks great and i am not worried about it breaking now.But the foam is a really good idea.I had a problem with the main sheet getting stuck in the first roller,so i tighted it down so there is no room for it to get stuck, it does not turn any more,but i do not think it matters.I have colored line for my running rigging, that is next.
osito is offline Find More Posts by osito
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:40 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Guys there is a piece of foam under the bow on these boats, so I don't think the boat would sink. Osito, hope the pictures I sent to you were helpful. Have fun with the boat. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2013
327 Posts
ok, well epoxy on mast top and bottom is happening for sure.

Do you think I should eposy the shroud stays in place? Im worried about the little metal connection points if I do that though.

Ill check my hull for the styrofoam. If there is none, I will definatly add some. I like that idea. My lake is big and deep.

I think I will put the upgraded shroud lines, and turnbuckles. Additionally I want to put a pully about midship to guide the jib sheet around the mast. Later Id like to put a couple more pulleys aboard, one on the sail winch, and one at the aft to guide the line a little better. I may even end up double sheeting at some point. But who knows.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:03 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin055 View Post
ok, well epoxy on mast top and bottom is happening for sure.

Do you think I should eposy the shroud stays in place? Im worried about the little metal connection points if I do that though.

Ill check my hull for the styrofoam. If there is none, I will definatly add some. I like that idea. My lake is big and deep.

I think I will put the upgraded shroud lines, and turnbuckles. Additionally I want to put a pully about midship to guide the jib sheet around the mast. Later Id like to put a couple more pulleys aboard, one on the sail winch, and one at the aft to guide the line a little better. I may even end up double sheeting at some point. But who knows.
My Vela came with Styrofoam blocks in the hull.

Steve
sbales is online now Find More Posts by sbales
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:49 AM
osito
Joined Jan 2013
39 Posts
were in the hull, because i can not see any ?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:09 AM
osito
Joined Jan 2013
39 Posts
I just got off the phone with Aquacraft and they said there was NO foam or anything in the boat.I also asked about the sail servo up grade due to it not being able to pull in the sails in some wind and they sail"i don,t know anything"1-217-398-8970
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:35 AM
osito
Joined Jan 2013
39 Posts
I looked again and i can see the foam in the hull.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:35 AM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osito View Post
sqare block in the bow.

Steve
sbales is online now Find More Posts by sbales
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:43 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osito View Post
If you have trouble seeing the styrofoam, there ain't enough IMHO

Photos below for an example - my Monsoon 900 - added 90 grams to all up weight. My insurance.
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
327 Posts
Ok, so Turnbuckles?

Im seeing alot of options at alot of different prices.

SO for a boat of the Vela1's stature, (price range) what would you go with?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:30 AM
osito
Joined Jan 2013
39 Posts
Took my vela sailing first time at the lake.I almost lost her out to sea, heavy wind and could not get her to go down wind.I was only able to get her to go in one direction and crashed her on the other side of the lake.I the sailed her in a cove with alot less wind and all went well.Do you think there is something to learn here.I think maybe i need a smaller sail for heavy wind ?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Jan 2013
327 Posts
What were your wind speeds?

And how much experience do you have sailing your model?

into the wind should be not exactly into the wind in my experience, but more like at a slight angle to the wind. At which point to my understanding the sails, inline with the boat, should create a "wing" like effect with a high pressure side and thus a low pressure side allowing the ship to slip into the wind like an airplane wing.

But then again, ive only been sailing a short time. And While I have researched the subject a bit, I only have a very small ammount of time on the water to back me up. And I certainly havent experienced all conditions. So I will offer you this post only in the context of 'as far as I understand it so far"