marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Yes,

I'm a "Tower Guy"!

Hobbico products and Hobby Services, including the AquaCraft Vela, are second-to-none.

Great Service, Great Prices, Great Support.

Somebody is obviously still upset because I tagged your Nirvana mascot for flaming in his posts. I've had a few minor infractions, which were resolved immediately, but somehow you managed to get yourselves temporarily suspended from the site!

So, do take your own advice and squash it....
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
906 Posts
Bean,
Your boat looks great. I hope your drum setup works well. Beware stock line used for shrouds may not be strong enough. Enjoy your boat and recognize it is a good light air boat. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Vela

Hi, I wanted to post some pics of my Vela to keep this thread going. It has a lot of little mods to make it more fun, scale looking, and reliable. They main mods were to make the mast adjustable because I found that it was really sensitive to wind speeds so I wanted to be able to move the mast forward from the stock location.
I made an extension for the backstay because I didn't like the sails slapping the backstay line. I also had to add a few extra hole options since my backstay rigging only has about 1" of adjustment. I haven't done much to the radio gear except replacing the rudder servo with a stronger one and adding the external on/off switch. I found that I get full travel with the stock winch servo by using my trims so I have left it stock for now. My next mod will be to add 6 ounces of weight to my keel.
The sail numbers came from my Full size Hobie cat and Rod Carr was really great and made my sails with the sail number and the yellow corners as a "tribute" to my other baby. I mean "boat". Anyway, here they are;
freewill51 is offline Find More Posts by freewill51
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
906 Posts
Impressive build freewill. You will most likely find the stock sail winch inadequate. I use a hitec 765 sail servo and it works well. Where are you? Ryan
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:55 AM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
Had all 3 of my fleet on the water today, started around noon, took a 1/2 hour because of rain and quit as it was getting dark.

Have been sailing the Odom mostly as it's the one I'm learning to race with.

My friends Mike and Mike sailed the others, The Narvana was Mike's first time
sailing, I thinks he enjoyed it. The other Mike has full scale time and is a good sailor, used the Vela.

Been learning race tuning and other fine points trying to sail smooth/fast, I think I'll see if Mr. Carr will trim the Vela sails down in size for me, as I feel the
boat has too much sail area for it's weight and size. Filling the bulb with lead shot was a big time improvement.

Also the main boom on the Vela is 4+ inches longer than the Odom which adds to the dragging issue in strong wind, So I'll re-rig the Vela more like my Odom and reduce the main sail area and cut the boom shorter.

Odom vs Vela, Odom wins, Would like to sail the Vela with an Odom rig. I
feel it would be really good in stronger wind.

Strong part of the day, the Odom stayed in front and being more than a pound heavier holds course with little rudder.

Weak part of the day as the sun got lower, we had some very fun drag races and started using 2 buoys for some short course oval racing, sometimes Vela ahead sometimes not.

Will post on de-size-ing the Vela

Steve
sbales is online now Find More Posts by sbales
Last edited by sbales; Dec 31, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
906 Posts
Very cool Steve. I only sail my vela in light wind. I might swap out my boom and put a better boom and vang to allow flatening of the main sail. Glad to see your sticking with your ODOM. Sailed here at model pond in san diego today in light wind. Gonna be here thru wed morning. Ryan
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:52 AM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Very cool Steve. I only sail my vela in light wind. I might swap out my boom and put a better boom and vang to allow flatening of the main sail. Glad to see your sticking with your ODOM. Sailed here at model pond in san diego today in light wind. Gonna be here thru wed morning. Ryan

Good Morning Ryan

Next race at the pond is Jan 12th, Would be nice to see you at one of the monthly club races. Happy New Year.

The Odom is a keeper, The guys at the pond are good, I plan on working at getting better........................

Steve
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:30 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
Quick Customer Service

Vela Reduced Size Suit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We can definitely cut down the size of the sails, I'd recommend that we do three things: First, reduce the rig height by about 12%; second, maintain the feet measurements so we can obtain power from the lower parts of the sail where it doesn't cause so much heel, but pick up the clew of the mainsail about 1 1/2" to avoid dragging in the water during a heel caused by a gust; and third, reduce the mainsail leech roach (the curved after part of the sail) as this will help reduce the weather helm that comes in gusty conditions. I can offer a 2 - 3 turnaround on your order. Check our website for details http://CarrSails.com, or give me a call at (425) 881-2846.

Happy New Year. Rod Carr

Sounds Like a Plan.

Steve
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Nov 2010
906 Posts
Probably won't make monthly points races steve as we leave for home on Wed morning. Glad to hear ODOM is a keeper. I understand about the desire to make the vela a better all around sail boat. See ya around. Ryan
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Nov 2010
906 Posts
Here at model yacht pond in San Diego with no wind. Vela has sailed well in the little puffs. Will post a pic later. Ryan
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:54 PM
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
375 Posts
Well hey guys !! after a long while of wanting an RC sailboat, my dreams came true this christmas. And I am now the proud owner of a Vela.

Ive chainged out the clips on the lines and tomorrow I take her out for the first time. We have a really nice marina here in Sparks Nevada and the winds are supposed to cooperate tomorrow. So Ill post back and let you guys know how she does for a total beginner.
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:01 PM
osito
Joined Jan 2013
39 Posts
i am thinking of buying a Vela, is this ok for a first boat or should i go with the aquacraft Paradise 26 ?? where can i look to buy r/c boats ? thank,s,,need help !!
osito is offline Find More Posts by osito
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
906 Posts
As long your good with tinkering with stuff and a bit mechanically inclined, then the Vela will be fine as a first boat. I would read this thread and take the advice on boat modifications. Ryan
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:24 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osito View Post
i am thinking of buying a Vela, is this ok for a first boat or should i go with the aquacraft Paradise 26 ?? where can i look to buy r/c boats ? thank,s,,need help !!
Cheaper boats also at HobbyKing www.hobbyking.com - some tinkering required but not much. I have had a Surmount for a while - lovely boat, just added a Monsoon to the fleet - even better than the Surmount...

There are a few basic (simple) things to do to these to get them seaworthy (mainly taping the hatch so it does not let water in!)....
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin