HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:45 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwpile View Post
Just got my Carr Sails today! wow...Great Job Rod! Cant wait to sail them. One question, for you Ronnie - What gauge wire did you use for the jib luff?
http://www.4fishin.com/wire-leaders.htm

30 lb test for my Vela and Odom. On the stays

Steve
sbales is online now Find More Posts by sbales
Last edited by sbales; Nov 03, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:35 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Screwpile,
I will have to look, don't remember how I attached my main to the rig. I to have Rod Carr sails on my Vela. Will take pictures and post em for you. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
How many square inches of sail are does the vela have? What is the specs on the Rod Carr Vela sails? Ryan
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Screwpile,
I will have to look, don't remember how I attached my main to the rig. I to have Rod Carr sails on my Vela. Will take pictures and post em for you. Ryan
Thanks Ryan. On the factory jib, the line through the jib luff acts as the forestay for the boat and can be tensioned with a bowsie. The lower s-hook acts as the pivot point for the jib boom on hauls. The challenge Im having with the Carr jib is that I need to run a luff wire in addition to the jib lines. If I run a wire through the luff and attach to both boom and mast using the current mounting points what would be the best way to do so to allow tensioning as well as break down? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Screwpile is offline Find More Posts by Screwpile
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
I used a line from 1/4 scale rc airplanes for my rigging of my vela. Also you can find out the total square inches of sail for the vela fro my posting on page 55 or 56 of this thread. I have just installed a ace drum sail servo in the vela and I think it is going to work great. ronnied
ronnied is offline Find More Posts by ronnied
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
How many square inches of sail are does the vela have? What is the specs on the Rod Carr Vela sails? Ryan
The sail area according to Aqua Craft: Main 429.19 sq. in. - Jib 297 sq. in. Rods sails are identical cut. Not sure about the genny he built for Ronnie.
Screwpile is offline Find More Posts by Screwpile
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2009
58 Posts
could someone measure the mast head post diameter on the vela. Am making up a new mast for another project and the vela mast looks like a simple easy way to go. Thanks in advance John
clouddancer120 is offline Find More Posts by clouddancer120
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Finished with the mods to the vela

Hi everyone, I have finally finished with all the modifications to my vela sailboat. Attached are the final set of pictures with all the mods. I have sailed the boat and she works just great. She is a very capable sailing vessel in winds up to 10 MPH and handles very well. If I were going to change another thing it would be a larger rudder. I agree with Ryan that we should have a vela class group and we should have a modified vela class. The reason I say modified is because this is a wonderful RTR boat that allows us to add modifications and different options.
Thanks for all your support and comments. ronnied
Last edited by ronnied; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
619 Posts
Great looking boat.
Where do you sail at, and is there a group or club?

Terry
marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Terry, I sail with some other people at rathdrum, Idaho and at the Hayden Lake boat ramp. If you would like to sail with us let me know. You can leave your information at B&B Hobbies in Spokane. ronnied PS: There is also a boat club in Spokane you might want to check out. It is called the spokane model boat club.
Last edited by ronnied; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Screwpile,
I will take some pictures tomorrow evening and post em. The only forestay you need is the wire run thru the luff pocket on the jib that attaches to the jib boom and the mast. Ryan
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Here are a couple of more pictures of my vela. ronnied
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Good Morning, Last night I made one more modification to my vela. I used another pulley in line for the drum servo haul in and out. This seems to make sure that if there is any slack in the line it will not affect the line winding correctly around the drum. (see the pictures with this post.) I have done some extensive testing and so far it is working good. ronnied
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
I am a newbie to the world of RC Sailing, though I've sailed Sunfish, Lasers, and Lightnings on the St. Lawrence River. Was given a Tippecanoe T27 kit for Christmas last year. Had a blast building it, and sailing was certainly fun too, but the big water of the St. Lawrence was a bit much for it. Winds easily over 10 knots most every day.

The only other RC sailor near me has a Marblehead design. I talked to him and was educated quite a bit, but a Marblehead is more than I can handle, and not easily attainable. Then I found the Aquacraft Vela and 56 pages of posts. I've read a bunch of them, and am considering this boat.

I sense that it will require some customization, which I think I can handle. I am concerned about the big water of the St. Lawrence. I would also love to have a boat that I can use to race and participate with others, but I'm not sure it's an active sport in the area.

Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
tfrench4 is offline Find More Posts by tfrench4
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Probably not the right boat for rough water and lots of wind (10knts or more). An ODOM or an older IOM with a B rig would handle windy conditions much better than a vela. Vela is a very light boat at 6 ish pounds all up. Marblehead or 50/800 is a fun class, I have an older one that I am restoring to sail for fun. Ryan