HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Go Figure!

I'm starting to favor the Thunder Tiger Victoria, another boat distributed by Hobbico Inc. and Tower Hobbies.
Although it's not an exclusive brand of Hobbico, the Vickie is a sanctioned one-design boat in the AMYA.

The Vela is what most would consider a "sport kit". But, the TT Vickie is too....without extensive modifications to the sails and rigging!?

The 15th Annual Vickie Nats were in my state, this year, and I sailed the club boat with the Champions.
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbales View Post
Forgot the camera at home today, had to use my phone. Had great wind most of the day, took the Nirvana with me and my friend who lives on the lake sailed it.

Hands down Vela is a nice boat, BTW the Nirvana broke, the mast plugs into a socket on the deck and whole socket broke free, no reinforcement at all inside.

Will machine a flanged floating socket, easy fix and keep it as the toy boat.

Working on getting an ODOM and hope to be racing soon.
What kind of sails are you running on your Vela?
Screwpile is offline Find More Posts by Screwpile
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
I have Rod Carr Sails on my Vela. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:33 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwpile View Post
What kind of sails are you running on your Vela?
Rod Carr Sails
sbales is offline Find More Posts by sbales
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Steve
How is your boat doing? Have you sailed much lately? Did you get an ODOM? My boat has not seen the water for a while as it seems the others around here have abandoned the boat for some reason. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:17 AM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Steve
How is your boat doing? Have you sailed much lately? Did you get an ODOM? My boat has not seen the water for a while as it seems the others around here have abandoned the boat for some reason. Ryan
Putting the finishing touches on the ODom today, hoping to sail today or tomorrow and tune her up before San Diego next week.

Raced the the ODom last month when I bought it, but redone complete radio tray and sails, I battled for last my by first race. The winds were real light.

I'll see how ODom and Vela compare soon and will update with pics.

Steve
Last edited by sbales; Oct 27, 2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Finished ODom
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:39 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
508 Posts
Don;t know how the Vela sails in light wind but the ODOM isn't a good boat in very light winds. That is way I built a second sailrig using a 65in mast and a set of US1 sails for use in light winds, On those days we sail as US1s.
Hircsailor is online now Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:42 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hircsailor View Post
Don;t know how the Vela sails in light wind but the ODOM isn't a good boat in very light winds. That is way I built a second sailrig using a 65in mast and a set of US1 sails for use in light winds, On those days we sail as US1s.

I really like my Vela, WISH there was a class.

Steve
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Maiden sail

Hello all, new Vela owner (and rank RC sailing newbie) here. First of all let me say what an awesone forum and thread. Ive owned the boat for two weeks and pored over this thread several times making minor mods to the boat before putting her in the water for the first time. Based on everyone's advice Ive replaced the clips (used beefier Kyosho clips until the ss turnbuckles arrive) as well as replaced all the lines (also with Kyosho lines). ive fabricated a splash/line guard for the battery & transmitter. Next up 2:1 servo arm set up using a pekabe block(i too cant get 80 on the outhaul), ss shrouds, a fairlead for the jib sheet, carr sails, and reworked aft rollers, plus a beefier sail servo

I took her out today and WOW. Im hooked!!! Light winds (4-7mph) out of the south with temp in the 40s. She sailed beautifully, eventhough the rig still needs tuning. The lake I sailed on orients North/South, so I got a great work-out both up and downwind.

As an East Coaster who was used to spending alot of time on the Potomac and Chesapeake that transplanted to Minnesota (happy wife/happy life), I was looking for a way to satisfy sailing jones without having to buy a J boat i can only use 7 months of the year. I happened upon some gents from the Edina Model Yacht Club sailing a couple of ODOMs and an RC Laser. One was kind enough to let me have a go and I was instantly hooked. A side-trip to the hobby store on the way home and there you have it!

Thanks for all the great ideas and education. Hopefully I can contribute as much as Ive already learned in the short time Ive been frequenting the boards.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:13 AM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
508 Posts
Welcome Screwpile to both this great forum and the wounderful world of rc sailing. From the sound of things you have some experence in boats amd I'm sure that you enjoy sailing the smaller rc boats as well. And you are right about a happy wife, a happy life.
Hircsailor is online now Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2005
49 Posts
MMMM, Screwpile... Me thinks you have been to Solomons and raced that regatta a few times or you just love the famous Chesapeake lighthouses? Your choice of a one meter sized Rc boat will turn out to be a good one. The One meter size is large enough to be seen and large enough to sail easily. Any smaller and the boats are twitchy and any larger and then you have a transportation/storage issue. The Vela is just about the best option out there in the One meter size for cost and performance. While it lacks some refinements, it is a lot less expensive than most every other one meter boat out there. And, it sounds like you are taking care of the tweaking things yourself so that actually adds some building fun. I don't think a Vela is as fast as an ODOM or IOM but everything comes down to the fun quotient. If it fits your needs it will be some of the best money you will ever spend to cure the Sailing Jones. Enjoy!
John Ebell is offline Find More Posts by John Ebell
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ebell View Post
MMMM, Screwpile... Me thinks you have been to Solomons and raced that regatta a few times or you just love the famous Chesapeake lighthouses? Your choice of a one meter sized Rc boat will turn out to be a good one. The One meter size is large enough to be seen and large enough to sail easily. Any smaller and the boats are twitchy and any larger and then you have a transportation/storage issue. The Vela is just about the best option out there in the One meter size for cost and performance. While it lacks some refinements, it is a lot less expensive than most every other one meter boat out there. And, it sounds like you are taking care of the tweaking things yourself so that actually adds some building fun. I don't think a Vela is as fast as an ODOM or IOM but everything comes down to the fun quotient. If it fits your needs it will be some of the best money you will ever spend to cure the Sailing Jones. Enjoy!
Yup, and enough Tiki Bar openings to prevent me from running for office due to incriminating evidence (damn I miss that place and the ensuing Redneck Mardi-Gras). The more i read and tinker, the more I like the Vela. Ordered my Rod Carr sails yesterday. Will post pix once I rig 'em. Hoping to get 2 or 3 trips to the pond in before the weather become uncooperative.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbales View Post
Forgot the camera at home today, had to use my phone. Had great wind most of the day, took the Nirvana with me and my friend who lives on the lake sailed it.

Hands down Vela is a nice boat, BTW the Nirvana broke, the mast plugs into a socket on the deck and whole socket broke free, no reinforcement at all inside.

Will machine a flanged floating socket, easy fix and keep it as the toy boat.

Working on getting an ODOM and hope to be racing soon.
Steve - What size luff rings are you using to attach the main to the mast?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:15 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwpile View Post
Steve - What size luff rings are you using to attach the main to the mast?
I tied the sail on with 30 lb test braided dragon, leave a 1/16 or so gap.

A small dowel rod works great as you can get the double knot tight and apply CA so they don't come un-done, I like med
for this job as it wont make the line hard just the knot.

Steve
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnied View Post
Here are a few pictures of the boat with the wire in the luff, it is tied off to the front of the jib boom. I will leave it this way and then remove the jib and install the genoa sail to the forestay. We are working on the finishing touches of the keel wing and think it will help stabilize the boat for the genoa.
ronnied
Just got my Carr Sails today! wow...Great Job Rod! Cant wait to sail them. One question, for you Ronnie - What gauge wire did you use for the jib luff?