HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
In relation to the Victoria....

Many owners of the Thunder Tiger 1M yachts complain that their kits just aren't competitive enough to race in sanctioned 1M events: http://www.thundertiger.com/products_list/22____1.html

And, IHMO, a Vela - One Design Class would be rather boring!

So, I would support a class which allows for multiple pre-fabricated 1M designs, that fall outside of the ODOM, IOM, and US 1M classes.

Regardless, even the Victoria "one design" is really a sport kit, that has been modified and adapted for competitive racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodACarr View Post
Writing a simple one-design rule by just adopting what is in the box as it comes from the manufacturer seems to make sense, until one of two things happens: First, skippers find fault with some manufactured fittings or other aspect of the boat and start to make repairs and substitutions to get around the problem; or second, the manufacturer starts to change the parts, and/or materials in the kit, so that what came out of the kit box last year is different than last year's box. A group of skippers usually is unsuccesful in forcing a manufacturer to remain static in his product, and the class than faces fragmentation as in the Fairwind Classes, or serious disruptions as in the Victoria Class. Still in all, there seems to be a general success in "one design" classes that allow a bit of latitude in after market options like sails or fittings. In virtually all cases I've examined, different boat configurations are not nearly as important as skipper skill......but folks still cling to the idea that one can somehow buy his way to the front of a one-design fleet and keep going back to the "out-of-the-box one-design rule". Look carefully at the Victoria Rule as an example of a successful rule written with a good balance of control over speed factors like hull shape, rudder shape and size and keel/ballast, accompanied by relative freedom to control a one-design sail plan above the deck with skipper designed and manufactured fittings. This rule has attracted a huge following and builders, fiddlers, and racers all seem to find something that keeps their interest and makes for good racing.

Rod Carr, Victoria #2
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:14 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
modifications to my vela

I have finished with the modifications I metioned in my last posting. Tested the boat yesterday and was quite amazed with it's handling. It was wonderful to sail and the servo pulled both sails in at about an eight mile an hour puff. I will have to change the servo connection using a wire harness and bypassing the receiver, thus running direct off the battery for the hi torque servo. It seems the tactic receiver is not quite able to handle everything. ( I am checking with some others regarding this matter). My test also found that the boat with the keel wing and larger jib sail is better steering than before. Well that's all for now. ronnied
ronnied is offline Find More Posts by ronnied
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:34 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
Ronnied, you should post some pics of your boat. Glad it sails well. You should try a futaba or a spektrum radio. My futaba systems have no problem running the servo's that I have installed. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
194 Posts
Sailed again today with new 765 servo and carr sails, I also use Futaba.
Boat was really good, sorry left camera in truck, pics next week.

Do have a problem though, Have ODOM on the brain after going to San Diego
last week.

Steve
sbales is online now Find More Posts by sbales
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Thanks Ryan for your thoughts, the servo I am using is a HS-7955 TG cordless Digital with 333.29 oz in capibility. There are some issues to overcome using this big of a servo, however I think it will work great in higher winds with all the conversions and modifications I have made to the boat. I am also using a jib set up from a pearson sailboat that is similar to a jenney jib. Will post pictures soon. Here are a few pictures of some of the changes o my vela
Last edited by ronnied; Aug 22, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Better Pictures of the vela

Here are some better pictures of my vela sailboat. ronnied
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
Steve
ODOM is a great boat. Sorry I did not make it to SD. My Santa Barbara is still not done yet.
Ryan
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
Boat looks good Ronnied. I bet those wings are gonna cause more drag than you think. Also be careful with all those fittings screwed into the deck as I would not be surprised if one pulls out. Good idea on the block attached to the transom, that is a good solution to any issues with the stock pulley to turn the line after it comes out of the deck. How much larger is the jib in the pictures than the "stock" jib?? Does not look that much bigger. You should think about using a LiFe battery pack in the boat as they seem to work very well. I have two of em and really like em. Ryan
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Ryan, The bigger jib sail I think is about 5 to 8 percent bigger than the standard jib and is cut different than the standard jib.(Could be even less) I think Rodd Carr might have the exact figures on the two jibs. I do not think the wing will produce much drag, however it will give the boat more stability in higher winds and I think that will produce better sailing and handling, also possibly more speed, because the boat will not lay over as much. I will let you know later next month during our week long testing period.
Sail Area for the standard vela is, Standard Main has: 429 sq inches and the Standard Jib sail has 297 sq inches of sail for a total of 726 sq inches. If the jib increase is 5% add 14.85 sq inches (or 311.85) at 8% add 23.76 sq inches (or 320.76) and if it is 10% add 29.7 sq inches (or 326.7). That may not sound like a lot, but for a 1-meter model boat it is.These are much heavier mylar sails than the manufacture supplied with the boat, and they are working off of a completely different jib boom set-up. I will let you know. ronnied I took a look at the Genoa sail that rod carr made fo me and I would imangine that the sail area with the genoa woud be between 800 and 850 sq inches.I hope the wing would make it a more stable boat in wind ranges between 8 and 15 mph. I also have a bigger wing which we will try at a later date.ronnied
Last edited by ronnied; Aug 26, 2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: adding on
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
194 Posts
Forgot the camera at home today, had to use my phone. Had great wind most of the day, took the Nirvana with me and my friend who lives on the lake sailed it.

Hands down Vela is a nice boat, BTW the Nirvana broke, the mast plugs into a socket on the deck and whole socket broke free, no reinforcement at all inside.

Will machine a flanged floating socket, easy fix and keep it as the toy boat.

Working on getting an ODOM and hope to be racing soon.
Last edited by sbales; Aug 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
If any of Vela fans are looking for a boat I just posted one in the classifieds. Never used with upgrades.
mohsb is online now Find More Posts by mohsb
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Hello to everyone,
I have finished the vela and hope to sail it later this week, I will post some close-up pictures of all the detail changes that were done to it. We had to wait for the new servo and transmitter fron aquaboat before I could finish with the changes. The servo now runs directly from the battery and I am hoping there are no problems, initial tests indicate she should do well in 8 to 10 MPH winds. Hope everyone had a great summer. ronnied
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
Our thread had fallen into ?????? Lets keep this going. Vela is a good boat.
Where are our Nor Cal owners? Ryan
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:50 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
194 Posts
I took apart my bulb and filled it with #8 lead shot, gained 5 ozs, was hoping for
more added weight, but on the water a big improvement.

Sailed against my Nirvanna, It didn't have a chance.

Off to San Diego this weekend for my first race, will be coming home with a ODom (used), curious how it does against my Vela.

Steve
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
Thats great steve. Have fun with your ODOM. I just got an Infinity 54.
Have not had my Vela out for a while. Ryan