HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Jun 2009
81 Posts
Vela One Design

Writing a simple one-design rule by just adopting what is in the box as it comes from the manufacturer seems to make sense, until one of two things happens: First, skippers find fault with some manufactured fittings or other aspect of the boat and start to make repairs and substitutions to get around the problem; or second, the manufacturer starts to change the parts, and/or materials in the kit, so that what came out of the kit box last year is different than last year's box. A group of skippers usually is unsuccesful in forcing a manufacturer to remain static in his product, and the class than faces fragmentation as in the Fairwind Classes, or serious disruptions as in the Victoria Class. Still in all, there seems to be a general success in "one design" classes that allow a bit of latitude in after market options like sails or fittings. In virtually all cases I've examined, different boat configurations are not nearly as important as skipper skill......but folks still cling to the idea that one can somehow buy his way to the front of a one-design fleet and keep going back to the "out-of-the-box one-design rule". Look carefully at the Victoria Rule as an example of a successful rule written with a good balance of control over speed factors like hull shape, rudder shape and size and keel/ballast, accompanied by relative freedom to control a one-design sail plan above the deck with skipper designed and manufactured fittings. This rule has attracted a huge following and builders, fiddlers, and racers all seem to find something that keeps their interest and makes for good racing.

Rod Carr, Victoria #2
RodACarr is online now Find More Posts by RodACarr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Similiar problems exist in the MegaTech Nirvana one-design class, and the Nirvana is also Ready-to-Sail ship.

The Nirvana Class allows for replacement of the rigging and electronics, as it should, because every skipper has their favorite radio and hardware store.

The major difference with the Nirvana construction is that the stock sails are laminated polyfabric and polyfilm, and perform rather well - as is.

In regards to repairs - even the best of us experience hangar rash now and again.

And, I agree - stick time wins more races than endless modifications.
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Is $320 shipped a good price for a new Vela?
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:33 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
It's a good price if that is the boat you want and you can't get a better deal somewhere else.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:29 AM View Post
Fokker Ace
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while Fokker Ace edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:57 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace View Post
Is $320 shipped a good price for a new Vela?
I bought a set of Vela sails for my Beili Hurricane from Tower Hobbies for US$37.88 including shipping to Australia - does that help?

Tower Hobbies have the Vela listed at US349 including shipping so you are probably US$30 better off with the price you have found.

If the rest of the boat is as nice as the sails then it is a pretty cool boat IMHO.... too far up the market for me - I am into the cheap Chinese ones.....
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:43 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
862 Posts
Yeah 320 bucks is a good price for the boat. Its a good boat. You will enjoy the boat. Are you an experianced sailor?
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Yeah 320 bucks is a good price for the boat. Its a good boat. You will enjoy the boat. Are you an experianced sailor?
Yes, sailing full scale boats my whole life and RC for over ten years now. But not an expert!

I like the idea of a decent fiberglass hull and the needed mods are all reasonable from what I read here. But I do hate the graphics on the hull and sails. If I get one I'd paint the hull and consider a new set of sails - as it comes it just doesn't look "real".
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:04 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
193 Posts
My Vela Build

Vela Build / Maiden

Being new to RC Sailboats I was convinced into the Nirvanna, got a used one, #30 It was not what I really wanted.

So Back to my original plan Vela vs Seawind, Seawind is hard to find at a normal price.

My Vela build after going thru the tread, Remove all stock rigging and replace with quality line and wire 50 lb. test and turnbuckles, took apart the keel bulb and painted the steel weights and sealed with silicone

Remove deck hardware and put C.A. into holes, glued inside deck using a long spoon on a handle applied some epoxy as the wood structure appeared not to be glued to the deck.

Fabricated a bale for the rear roller to keep the line in-place. Replaced hatch foam with wider and thicker stuff, added pulley for 2 to 1 system, stock radio going into Nirvanna.

Fabricated a standoff for the lines to tie off for sail servo and cut out a line/splash guard placed above radio box. Fabricated line guide that’s held in place by keel attachment nut.

Maiden was about 2 hours on the water, wind light 4/5 mph then wind quit, boat handled very well, line guides worked perfect and not a single drop of water in her.

I placed a sponge inside and it was dry. For me this boat is worth getting upgraded sails and I will replace the sail servo with a Hitec 765 all running on lifepo4 1700 battery.

Steve
sbales is offline Find More Posts by sbales
Last edited by sbales; Jul 24, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
862 Posts
Nice Job Steve. Move the jib boom closer to the jib. To much gap between the foot of the sail and the jib boom. Bring the jib down so you only have maybe a two or three mm gap between the foot of the sail and the jib boom. Boat looks great. What did you make the cover over the radio board out of? Ryan
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:04 AM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Nice Job Steve. Move the jib boom closer to the jib. To much gap between the foot of the sail and the jib boom. Bring the jib down so you only have maybe a two or three mm gap between the foot of the sail and the jib boom. Boat looks great. What did you make the cover over the radio board out of? Ryan
Thanks Ryan and thanks for the tips on my build, line/splash guard is the plastic cut from a report cover from stationary store $2 bucks.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:36 AM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbales View Post
Thanks Ryan and thanks for the tips on my build, line/splash guard is the plastic cut from a report cover from stationary store $2 bucks.
I wanted the clear front side but cut it too short.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:52 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbales View Post
So Back to my original plan Vela vs Seawind, Seawind is hard to find at a normal price.

Steve
You made the right choice, I owned a Seawind and it is a nice boat, but the Vela is just better IMHO.

Looks like the maiden went well....
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Nov 2010
862 Posts
Renewed call for nor cal Vela owners. Is there any interest for a fall get together in the bay area for Velas? Would love to meet other owners. Ryan
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
I have been making some changes to my Vela again, now have a larger jib sail and lowered the connection for the jib by about 5 inches on the main mast. I am also using a differnt sail servo that has increased the capasity from 150 oz to 330 oz, have used a different sail arm and hoping this will be better with the bigger jib sail. I look forward to sailing it in about a week and hope she will hold true with the keel wing and bigger jib sail. Hoping I will not have to change the rudder size. (increased jib size should be around 30% and a heavier guage sail for higher winds.) Will try to post some pictures when completely finished, including some sailling video. Best to all, ronnied
ronnied is offline Find More Posts by ronnied