HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Maybe vela owners could sign up for open invitational events each year in various cities along the west coast? It might make for some real fun. There could be various classes from stock to modified. ronnied
ronnied is offline Find More Posts by ronnied
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
That would be cool, except here in Northern California, there are no open regatta's. Each club holds local series events where the sanctioned classes sail. There are no "bring what you have" races that I am aware of.
It would be great if we could spread the word about forming a one design class as much as possible. Calling all Northern California Vela owners, post on the forum here and let all us know if your interested in a one design class. Racing does not have to be the only activity, fun sail days can be planned where there is enough interest. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
A thought

I don't think vela owners have to follow any particular format, because I believe there is not one for 1-meter international boats? It would be nice if all club members anyware with velas, could have events that would consist of open fun sails and modified time racing, along with the ability to demostrate and show there modifications to others. One of the things I have enjoyed with this boat is the ability to modify it. These would not have to be a sanctioned events, it could be just fun! The goal here is not to change the national rules, but to provide additional events in which owners could display there talents and converse with others about there boats. These are just a few thoughts. ronnied
ronnied is offline Find More Posts by ronnied
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:18 AM
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
146 Posts
The problem with the Vela, is they made it longer than 1 meter.
Otherwise it could fit into a 1 meter class.
Scratchy101 is offline Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
That is true the vela is slightly longer than one meter. Are you interested in forming a one design class?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,063 Posts
Seems with all the variations and modifications owners have made, trying to start a "one design" class is that "many of the horses are out of the barn" - and will be nearly impossible to try to corral all and have them re-modified to meet a set of class rules.

Just an observation for consideration. If not a one-design, you will need to consider all changes that have been made in order to get a group membership agreement.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
If it were up to me, the class rules would be simple.
Rule one: Only stock hulls and foils allowed.
Rule two: Maximum sail area can not exceed that of the factory stock sails by more than five percent. Aftermarket sails are allowed.
Rule three: No restrictions on the deck layout rigging. No restrictions on standing rigging material.
Rule four: Use of the stock mast is mandatory, but jib and main boom can differ from stock in material or design, but must be within five percent of stock length.
Rule five: Hulls may be structurally reinforced as needed and any material is legal including carbon fibre or kevlar. No changes may be made to the hull shape.
Rule six: Any sailwinch is exceptable, although the only two channels are to used to control the boat. One for rudder and the other for sails.
Rule seven: Minimum weight for the boat all up is ???

Not sure what the boat weighs? Anyone want to give input as to how much their boat weighs? Anything I am leaving out of the above rules?
Ryan
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:25 PM
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
That is true the vela is slightly longer than one meter. Are you interested in forming a one design class?
After doing extensive research I decided against the Vela and went with the Nirvana.
These are the points against the Vela that made me chose the Nirvana:

- There were reports of problems with the deck separating from the hull.
- Watching sailing videos of the Vela, it just seems much more tender than most other models.
- There was no designated racing class for the Vela (as mentioned, the length excludes if from any one meter classes)

Also since I am in Canada, I would not be able to help your cause creating a one design class in the US.

I do wish you the best of luck, as I beleive there is always room for one more class, especially for RTR boats like the Vela and Nirvana where no construction is required. It appeals to a wider audience than kit boats, so should be easier to gather new members.
Scratchy101 is offline Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Last edited by Scratchy101; Jun 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
You are correct about the hull to deck separation problem, I experienced it first hand.
The boat is a little tender, but sailing technique can handle that. Vela sails very well and is fast.
I understand why you chose the nirvana with an established one design class and lots of good reviews of the boat itself, make sense to me. Have fun. Ryan
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Ahoy All,

Again I point out that the beauty of the Vela is that as it comes out of the box it is a good boat. Not great. Not perfect. It's main feature is that they are all the same. That is why I propose a true "One Design" class with a separate sub-class for modified Velas. A kid with few $$$ or an old pensioner can buy a boat and go sailing. No fixing, no modifying, no slight speed enhancing tricks. A true entry level boat that can be used to grow the sport. If a skipper wants to go one to ODOM, Santa Barbara or other classes, great.

This last weekend I was the RD for a Santa Barbara Regatta. Everyone said that the boats were "one design" but there were so many variations, including ultra light decks, America's Cup quality rigging on some and many types of sails. What this racing really is can be described as a development class. The boat must meet certain criteria and other than that, do what you want. Now, the design, construction and even financial position of the owner all come into play.

With the Vela as a one design we have a boat where the skill of the skipper is the deciding factor.

On another note, regarding "open races". I have been doing some study of using PHRF #s for small boats. I need to time a few races between different classes on a measured course to get some trune numbers but heck, if it works for big boats then maybe it will work for small ones.

If I can organize a Vela Regatta this fall at Spreckels Lake in SF, anybody interested in joining in? We can do one design and modified classes and see what the whole thing looks like.

Super43
Super43 is offline Find More Posts by Super43
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:09 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super43 View Post
On another note, regarding "open races". I have been doing some study of using PHRF #s for small boats. I need to time a few races between different classes on a measured course to get some trune numbers but heck, if it works for big boats then maybe it will work for small ones.
I'm interested to see how this develops. (Member SFMYC, former SF YRA - HDA participant)
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:56 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
I have two Vela's both bought this year, I have had zero deck problems, I have sailed them many times and in very high winds, only mod I did was replace with better fishing hardware.

Was this an early problem with the Vela?

I really like the way it sails and looks great. I like it being slightly larger too.
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
There are several issues with the Vela that should be fixed if one likes a boat that sails well.
First issue is the problem that there is not enough sheet travel with the stock setup to go from 90 degrees out to close hauled. Second issue is the string used for shrouds is not strong enough to hold up the rig and needs to be upgraded so the rig does not end up in the drink. Next the stock sail winch can't pull in the sails in anything above two knots of wind.
These are serious problems in my view that should be fixed.
If a class formed and only the stock out of the box boat were allowed, that is not doing the boat justice. Ryan
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Nov 2010
870 Posts
Are any other Nor Cal Vela sailors on this forum besides John Super and me?
I like John's idea of Vela event this fall. Bring your Vela and sail sounds good as there seems to be no agreement on what class rules to start with, so lets just go sailing. Ryan
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:01 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
RSsailor - I can agree with the servo not being strong.

I also agree the stock rigging hardware clips are junk and will bend open in any wind.

...but the stock line has never given me any problems, I changed the stock clips to better hardware, but the line is stock and I have sailed in very high winds. Never had it break, nor give any signs of breaking. All knots are super glued.

The stock sheet travel is not too bad, and I am not club racing, the couple of degrees difference doesn't matter to me, I just sail around a pond with a buddy, that is about all we do, but somehow we manage to do that for hours and hours.. LOL

Wife is surprised how long one can sail and not get bored.
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K