HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:40 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Crew..

Really like the crew on the Yamah. Were did you get those ? I need some

Also nice hardware. I need a upgrad hatch for my Seawind. Do you know who carrys one ?

Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:25 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,469 Posts
String
Here's the deal on the crew on the Yamaha. They originally sold for $44 from Tamiya back in the mid to late 90s. They are pretty much extinct. I found mine set on E-bay last year after searching pretty much constantly. I am embarrassed to tell you what I had to pay for them. They were new in a sealed box, and the guy had 3 sets, I got the last one. I posted a picture of how they are packaged.
The good news is you can create your own crew really cheap and if you are good with a model painting using good a quality brush, these will look almost identical to mine. Go to Tower Hobbies and order Tamiya 1/20 Pit Crew Figure Set Stock Number LXVAA2 Tower's Low Price $8.69.
It is actually fun painting them and glue them together. I get two sets so I can mix and match the positions of the figures they way I want them. You have trim off the air impact gun in two of the figures hands, but that is simple. I used Testor's hobby paint from my LHS.

Go to E-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/Kyosho-Seawind-r...item3a5cff3a3a
This sale expired but it will be back. I may have his direct contact information and will get that to you if I can find it. He runs ads all the time on e-bay so it should be back on soon.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:34 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
897 Posts
More pics - boat is now in the final tuning phase - still impressed.
jimklein is offline Find More Posts by jimklein
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:44 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,469 Posts
Jim
That has to been the best seal arrangement I have seen on factory produced boat! I am getting excited and getting a tingling feeling in my wallet.
One thing that I don't care for is they use the same kind of sail control set up as a Seawind. I don't understand why they can't put it under the deck like my other boats are set up. I feel it detracts from the overall appearence of the boat. Yes, it is easier to build that way, and you don't have fish the lines under the deck, but that is not that much trouble. I bet I clever fellow could rework the stock set up by using a couple of fairleads and run those lines under the deck.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 19, 2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:09 PM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
131 Posts
jimklein: Your Aquacraft Vela sure look nice. I have been waiting to see one out of the box. Look like I will have to get one. Thank for sharing.
Ralph (From Sacramento CA)
ralphhager is offline Find More Posts by ralphhager
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:09 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Thanks Boomer for the info. Yes my local Hobby town has that same Pit Crew!!!. Will pick it up. Will keep a lookout for the update Seawind hatch.

Jim..... Thanks for the pictures.....Looking good although sideways . Is the sail completely a plastic sheet or a woven nylon or polyester, hard to tell. Really like the colors. All carbon mast ??

Stringfly <>++++
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:16 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,469 Posts
String
Check you PM slot. I sent you the contact info for the gent that makes the hatches
Boomer

Jim
I hate to complain, but I had to turn my laptop on it's side to view those two pictures.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:55 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
897 Posts
Sorry 'bout that - however in the spirit of MinneSNOWta, if I put my sailboat in the "water" right now it would flop sideways.

Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:05 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
897 Posts
Also I'm thinking the sails are reinforced mylar.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:38 PM
Norman2
Connestee Falls, Brevard, North Carolina
Joined Mar 2006
389 Posts
Aquacraft Vela

Hi, From looking at your photos it is best Sailboat Kit I have seen, and I have
seen a lot. It looks stunning and the quality is impressive. Hope you enjoy
many hours sailing it. Regards
Norman
AC100
Norman2 is offline Find More Posts by Norman2
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:20 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Like how they incorporated the winches on the hatch to activate the latches.

String, don't buy all the crews before I can get by there. You can see the Vela in person friday or sat if your near the lot. Forecast looks like snow sun and mon.
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:44 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Sailing

Ok JD.
Snow tomorrow afternoon but should clear some Friday with the sun. Nice Saturday.... 47 and sunny, light wind. Plan to go sailplane snow(maybe) flying with some friends Saturday with a new sailplane. Sunday looks ok until late, wind 5 to 10 but cloudy. Let me know if you want to try sailing it Sunday. Will bring my FE's and Seawind. Will see if Bruce can get his Seawind charged up.

Stringfly <>+++++
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:54 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Off to UPS distribution center to get my package. They chose today (snowing) to not leave the box on my porch
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:25 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,469 Posts
String,
Those are some nice looking aircraft! I just got in to the Flying side of this and have a few planes now. I consider them "value" aircraft. My thinking is that when the time comes to take a plane home in a bag, I won't need any or at least so many anti-depresstion medications.

I posted some pictures of my planes on my blog, if you are interested.

Boomer
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:57 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Got Vela ready for Trials.

Only a couple of minor items to address (DISCLAIMER - for my liking). My observations .......

* I think I'll build a rigging box and epoxy the mast as one piece. That way I will have my A and B rigging already to attach to the hull)

* The lower half of the Mast wasnt threaded, although the joining shaft had threads

* The Main Sail Clips are convienent. But Id prefer a little tighter tolerance between the mast and leading edge of the sail

* The Spreader was only threaded on one side. Easy fix with a line looped thru each eyelet.

* Some updated deck hardware and fittings are in order (at least for me). The light wire clips seem a little thin and soft for the amount of pressure they may have to endure

* Need to work on getting the Rudder and keel on the same plane. Just a little out of line.

* The rudder and radio hatches appear well thought out. Gasket and latches look like they will provide a nice seal. We shall see as we get in the water and into some weather.

* Still working on tuning more outhaul for down wind legs.

Overall a great RTS from Aquacraft for the money and size of boat you get.

Looking forward to seeing how she fares against a few Seawinds this weekend.