HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:50 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Those are great sails. I have the exact same suit for my vela minus a genoa which I feel is to much sail for the boat. You will be very pleased with the boat once you sail it a few times and get it tuned up. I hope to get to sail mine in two or three weeks once I purchase another block for the winch and figure out where to find dollars to get a more powerful sail winch the can pull the dang sails in when the wind is above five knots. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Anyone contemplating sails should seriously consider Ken Bauser. KBSAILS@aol.com
He bought the stock and supplies from Chuck Black when he retired and makes great sails for very reasonable money. He built me a B rig suit for my US1M for $90 shipped, and a Star 45 suit for $120.
He is very meticulous, and includes little details like the jib luff wire(oversize with crimps included), which is more than I got for my $180 suit of sails from Carr.
He also builds great Star and US1M hulls, in any state of completion for very reasonable cost.

I have no affiliation with the guy, other than I think he's a nice guy who builds quality products for reasonable money.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:08 PM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
131 Posts
seefest: Dose Ken Bauser (KBSAILS@aol.com} have a web site? I Google KBSAILs an did not get any hit for a “RC Sailboat Type Vendor”? Ralph
ralphhager is online now Find More Posts by ralphhager
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphhager View Post
seefest: Dose Ken Bauser (KBSAILS@aol.com} have a web site? I Google KBSAILs an did not get any hit for a “RC Sailboat Type Vendor”? Ralph
No website. If you e-mail him he will send you scanned price lists for his sails and boats. He's also very knowledgable to talk to.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
I would not be quick to diss Rod Carr. He has been around the RC sailing world many years and is a highly respected guy. I am very happy with the sails that I recieved from Carr for my vela and I also have another set for my marblehead that I am restoring. There are many good sailmakers out there, more than enough for all of us RC sailors.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
I would not be quick to diss Rod Carr. He has been around the RC sailing world many years and is a highly respected guy. I am very happy with the sails that I recieved from Carr for my vela and I also have another set for my marblehead that I am restoring. There are many good sailmakers out there, more than enough for all of us RC sailors.
Not dissing Rod Carr at all. I'm merely pointing out that my $180(they actually might have been more like $195 with options) N12 sails that I bought from him didn't come with a jib luff wire. Not only that, the leech of the mainsail has had a curl that I thought would "work it's way out" that never did. Still there 3 years later, and very bad for performance in light air(it curls on port tack and not on starboard. I'm guessing (as I do have some sailmaking experience), that my sails were made from the "end of a roll" of sailcloth which had taken a set from being rolled up.........just a guess though.(now, I'm dissing his work).

I'm well aware that Rod Carr is a co-founder of the AMYA,(#2 member) and has been making model yacht sails for a long time. BUT, as you said, there are alternatives, and I was merely pointing out one. (which does equal quality work for more reasonable pricing)
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Oct 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Those are great sails. I have the exact same suit for my vela minus a genoa which I feel is to much sail for the boat. You will be very pleased with the boat once you sail it a few times and get it tuned up. I hope to get to sail mine in two or three weeks once I purchase another block for the winch and figure out where to find dollars to get a more powerful sail winch the can pull the dang sails in when the wind is above five knots. Ryan
I hope your Vela sails that Carr made for you are made out of a different sail cloth like Trispi 40. The pictures look like PX75 which is WAY too heavy for a one meter boat. I'm actually surprised Carr recommended that cloth, unless the customer wanted it that heavy.
rational rc is offline Find More Posts by rational rc
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
After a discussion with him, he made the recommendation. I am working on a wing for the keel and am looking to use the genoa sail in stronger winds. I am real pleased with the time he spent with me finding out what my long range goals for the boat were.
ronnied
ronnied is offline Find More Posts by ronnied
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:30 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational rc View Post
I hope your Vela sails that Carr made for you are made out of a different sail cloth like Trispi 40. The pictures look like PX75 which is WAY too heavy for a one meter boat. I'm actually surprised Carr recommended that cloth, unless the customer wanted it that heavy.
Not sure I buy into this. The North PX75 cloth is .2oz heavier per sq yard than TS40. That's not a huge amount on sails this size. The advantage I think to the PX75 is it's a bit stiffer, which on these high aspect sails reduces "hinging" of the roach (the drafting type mylars are even better at this) Here's a pic of a set of TS40 ODOM sails to illustrate how the softer cloth hinges under leech loads near the clew.

Especially for someone who isn't racing super competively, I see no problem with the PX75 sails on a one meter size boat.
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
Not sure I buy into this. The North PX75 cloth is .2oz heavier per sq yard than TS40. That's not a huge amount on sails this size. The advantage I think to the PX75 is it's a bit stiffer, which on these high aspect sails reduces "hinging" of the roach (the drafting type mylars are even better at this) Here's a pic of a set of TS40 ODOM sails to illustrate how the softer cloth hinges under leech loads near the clew.

Especially for someone who isn't racing super competively, I see no problem with the PX75 sails on a one meter size boat.
PX75 is 20% heavier than Trispi 40, which is alot. The biggest problem IS the stiffness of PX75 for sails on a one meter boat. In light air they don't set as well as lighter more pliable sail cloth, or pop thru the backstay if there is an overlapping roach.

My US1M leech's don't twist off or (hinge) to use your wording. What you have there is a blownout sail, or one that wasn't constructed properly. Trispi 40 is plenty stiff for a one meter class yacht.

Trispi 40 is a pretty heavy cloth to begin with and can be used for B and C rig sails as well as larger class yachts like EC12's and Star's. Alot of guys are using test 505 sail cloth for their A rigs(if you can get it).

If you look on Rod Carrs site, you will notice he pretty much lists PX75 for the much larger class boats like J class, Newport 12M, AC and 1.7M class yachts. Thats why I'm surprised he recommended it.
rational rc is offline Find More Posts by rational rc
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
669 Posts
600 sq/in (I realize this doesn't include the roaches of the sails) is a bit less than half a square yard, so in theory a set of PX75 US1M sails is maybe .1 to .2ozs heavier than TS40.

I stand by my feeling that for Ronnied's purpose, the PX75 is just fine. Maybe in a class such as the US1M where you are allowed multiple rigs, I can see the advantage of a "soft" set of sails for the A-Rig (for super light air). In the ODOM class, virtually every recent set of competetive sails I've seen uses stiff "drafting" film in the leech to help support the roach beyond what the battens can do.

Gordon Stout (who built my ODOM sails out of drafting film) wrote that he felt the stiff sails were an advantage in light air, as once you got them "popped" they held a stable cambered shape. It seems that if the main sail catches on the backstay, the boat needs a longer crane. None of the boats I sail have that issue.
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
600 sq/in (I realize this doesn't include the roaches of the sails) is a bit less than half a square yard, so in theory a set of PX75 US1M sails is maybe .1 to .2ozs heavier than TS40.

I stand by my feeling that for Ronnied's purpose, the PX75 is just fine. Maybe in a class such as the US1M where you are allowed multiple rigs, I can see the advantage of a "soft" set of sails for the A-Rig (for super light air). In the ODOM class, virtually every recent set of competetive sails I've seen uses stiff "drafting" film in the leech to help support the roach beyond what the battens can do.

Gordon Stout (who built my ODOM sails out of drafting film) wrote that he felt the stiff sails were an advantage in light air, as once you got them "popped" they held a stable cambered shape. It seems that if the main sail catches on the backstay, the boat needs a longer crane. None of the boats I sail have that issue.
Just remember, the sails only weigh .78 oz for the Trispi 40 and .94 oz for the PX75, before corner patches/battens etc. 20% is still 20%.

A sailmakers yard is 28.5" X 36" = 1026 square inches. A US1M or Odom has approximately 800 square inches including roach, so the toal area is about 78% of a sailmakers yard. Nevermind that manufactures claims for cloth weight are usually very optimistic(on the light side).

Just remember TriSpi 40 and 25 are the mainstay sailcloth for most model yacht sailmakers. Carr sails is one of the few sailmakers that actually use PX75.

But thats neither here nor there.

If you think that having a stiff, heavier sail is faster in light air than thats your opinion. We need to agree to disagree.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Vela1Meter

Ahoy All,

I just bought a Vela1Meter. Took it sailing at San Francisco's Spreckles Lake. GOOD FUN. Rigging it was the beginning. Setting it up reminded me of stepping the mast in a "real boat". The boat sails very well and is a great way to learn how to do RC sailing. I expect that eventually a person would bove on to a more complex vessel.

The sail area according to Aqua Craft: Main 429.19 sq. in. - Jib 297 sq. in.

The vang is adjustable. Mine was set too tight from the builder. It hampered the boom gybing. There was way too much loading on the mast/boom interface.

Is there anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area that would like to get a "fleet" going? Is there any interest in forming a Vela Class Association?

Since this boat comes complete and ready (almost) to sail without any modifications, it makes sense to make this a STRICT one design with only tiny modifications allowed. Sort of like the Laser Class of dinghys.
Super43 is offline Find More Posts by Super43
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Vela in The SF Bay Area

John,
I would love to work with you and see if we could get a fleet going. Modification are neccesary for this boat like the string that is used for rig wire is not up to snuff, the sail servo is to weak. Look at earlier threads to see some useful modifications to the boat. Mine also has Rod Carr aftermarket sails that I really like.
The debate about the sails is quite interesting. I have PX75 sails on my IOM skiffeater and like em a lot. The Trispi40 that my vela sails are made of works fine to, I think there is more than one way to build a good sail. Ryan
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Just found this new Hobbico site: http://www.hobbico.com/brands.html

"....the largest model hobby company in the world...."

Hobbico’s proprietary product lines, include AquaCraft Models.
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter