Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:18 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Guys,
When you tension your rigs with new turn buckles either the sailsetc ones or the pekabe ones, be careful as you might tear the hull to deck seam. I doubt these really cool lookin boats are designed for the amount of rig tension that other boats like IOM's or US1Meters run with their stainless wire. I have changed mine so that it can handle more rig tension so the mast will stay in colum better.
Are there any Vela boats in the bay area? Ryan
Good point. Personally, I don't tighten them to the point where I would hurt anything. The shrouds really don't need to be banjo string tight.

I believe the deck should be reinforced under the connection points.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:40 AM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
Boomer! Victoria Racing

I see you have had a few boats, I am thinking of picking up a couple Victorias for our club we are starting. I noticed that OMYC, SMYC and the Canadian club in Kelowna are all running Victoria class boats, I was hoping to sister our club with some of them, so thinking the Victoria might be a good choice to race with them.

Seems there is a lot of custom upgrade parts, race upgrades, available for the Victoria.
http://www.okanaganmodelsailboat.org/USACatalogue.html

I also have to figure out how to upgrade my friends older Victoria that only had a rudder servo but I see there is a lot of info on that at the club sites.
Autohelm is offline Find More Posts by Autohelm
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:32 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohelm View Post
I see you have had a few boats, I am thinking of picking up a couple Victorias for our club we are starting. I noticed that OMYC, SMYC and the Canadian club in Kelowna are all running Victoria class boats, I was hoping to sister our club with some of them, so thinking the Victoria might be a good choice to race with them.

Seems there is a lot of custom upgrade parts, race upgrades, available for the Victoria.
http://www.okanaganmodelsailboat.org/USACatalogue.html

I also have to figure out how to upgrade my friends older Victoria that only had a rudder servo but I see there is a lot of info on that at the club sites.
Sent you a PM response a few days ago -
Boomer
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:40 AM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Sent you a PM response a few days ago -
Boomer
Yup got your PM, saw my friends Victoria, and it has two really small servos in it, all stock boat. So we need to upgrade his boat to stronger servos and possibly the dual arm set up for the main and jib
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:53 AM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
Vela's new clips

Thanks again Vela sailors for all the good tips and fotos.....i finally got around to upgrading the clips to some #5 swivels, and they allow me to tighten up the lines a little more, and i also added CA gue to all the deck screws and hold downs for more insurance....
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:57 AM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
AutoHelm....we're looking forward to the Cascades' Regatta Sept 24 at Elk Lake Oregon, what a beautiful spot to sail our boats!
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:53 AM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
132 Posts
If you are thinking of adding blocks to your Vela,I have just did a little researching for the best pricing for “Hales Radio Control Yacht Blocks”, this is what I came up with (see attach PDF).

http://ultralite-radioyachting.net/i...facturers_id/5 New Zealand
http://www.radiosailingshop.com.au/ Australia
https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustra...nds/Hales.html Australia
http://www.halesmicro.com.au/index.html
ralphhager is offline Find More Posts by ralphhager
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,535 Posts
PEKABE 525 Double Block Model Sail Boat Yacht R/C

Here is another option for Pekabe products - these ship from the East Coast of the US and are a little cheaper. There are a bunch of Pekeba products at this link. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pekabe

$13.50 + $3.00 postage or 5 @ $63.95 +$4.00 postage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEKABE-525-D...item3a64356a94

Boomer
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:13 PM
Sailboat rookie.....
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts

Just subscribing as I am planning on getting this boat next spring.

Great info!
04_MINI is offline Find More Posts by 04_MINI
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:32 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
900 Posts
Cool Boat

Saw a Vela sailing on Spreckles Lake in San Francisco on Thursday. The boat looked great and seemed to sail very well. To bad the skipper was not interested in joining in the informal races several of us SFMYC members were having with our boats. I can't wait to get my boat back from the yard with the cosmetic work done so that I can sail it. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Oct 01, 2011, 01:26 AM
Joined Nov 2010
900 Posts
Vela in The SF Bay Area

Are there any other Vela sailors in the San Francisco bay area? If so we should get together and compare notes on our boats. Maybe a race or two? Ryan
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:54 AM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Can anyone tell me how long the sail servo arm is...from center hole to linkage hole?

Thanks

Also, I suppose it would be helpful to know the distance from the hing point to where the control line attaches to the jib and main sail boom.
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Last edited by barmonkey; Oct 09, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:27 AM
Joined Nov 2010
900 Posts
Vela repair

I just got my boat back from the boatyard and the cosmetic deck repair turned out really well. I hope to put the boat together soon. Will post pictures when I do. Ryan
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:58 AM
Joined Nov 2010
900 Posts
Putting boat together

I am currently putting my boat together slowly. Here are are two pictures. This thing should sail really well. How many of you out there fill in the holes in the bottom of the keel where the bulb is attached to the fin and the two screws that hold the two halves are attached? Ryan
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:25 AM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
Vela On Sale At Tower Hobbies $259 with coupon

Just to let anyone now out there the Vela is on sale at Tower Hobbies for $259 with the $50 coupon