HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:48 PM
Amateur Radio N4FOX
Cumberland Furnace, TN
Joined Apr 2005
106 Posts
Im in the market for one of these. After I modified my paradise and it works good. I want a bigger one now.

Anything I should be aware of on these that is a problem?
Kg4ceo is online now Find More Posts by Kg4ceo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 04:23 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kg4ceo View Post
Im in the market for one of these. After I modified my paradise and it works good. I want a bigger one now.

Anything I should be aware of on these that is a problem?
Justin
I just responded to your PM. Give me a call.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:56 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
VELAS in OREGON

Hello Vela sailors,...the Cascade Model Yacht Club had a chance to enjoy our fine weather and local lake, and had some fun sailing at Twin Lakes Resort today. We had a couple new Velas out on the water, and we really like them, easy to sail , responsive, and a pretty nice complete package. We thought they moved around in light air, and when the wind picked up, they laid over and covered some water! When you're in the Bend/LaPine area, please join us....
MRFASTPHIL is online now Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:10 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,472 Posts
Guys
Some very nice photos. If you guys continue to sail together you may want to consider putting a different color ribbon on each boat's crane so you can tell the boats apart.

Doesn't seem like it could happen, but it is very easy to get confused in thinking you are piloting the other guys boat.

Boomer
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:23 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
.....Linda was the first one in the water and sailed till her TX'er starting blinking "low battery"....Thanks Boomer, we like the boats identical, that way we can both claim it's our boat in the lead!
MRFASTPHIL is online now Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Sep 09, 2011, 05:53 PM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
Sail Numbering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Guys
Some very nice photos. If you guys continue to sail together you may want to consider putting a different color ribbon on each boat's crane so you can tell the boats apart.

Doesn't seem like it could happen, but it is very easy to get confused in thinking you are piloting the other guys boat.

Boomer
Actually we have both bought blank sails, they are only $15 a set at advantage hobby and will be numbering them accordingly
Autohelm is offline Find More Posts by Autohelm
Old Sep 09, 2011, 06:01 PM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
Looking for Steel Turnbuckles to Upgrade Rigging

Can someone let me know where to buy steel turnbuckles for the rigging. I have already upgraded those cheap clips as a band-aid fix. I called tower hobbies and they said to contact Aquacraft for a recommendation, hmmmm------update I contacted Aquacraft, and they do not even have a support selection for boats, talked to the car guy and he said they really don't have that information
Last edited by Autohelm; Sep 09, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:33 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohelm View Post
Can someone let me know where to buy steel turnbuckles for the rigging. I have already upgraded those cheap clips as a band-aid fix. I called tower hobbies and they said to contact Aquacraft for a recommendation, hmmmm------update I contacted Aquacraft, and they do not even have a support selection for boats, talked to the car guy and he said they really don't have that information
See posts 90 and 60 on this thread -Read those and if you have more questions.

There are several other options for you. Great Planes makes both plastic and metal clevis type connectors - used on RC aircraft - that make very good
adjustable connections. Go to this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...794969&page=11

A caution - a few guys have had the shroud brackets pull off of the deck. I think that problem has been reported in this thread.

Boomer

There are other choices for setting up an adjustable connect at the bracket. Dubro makes an number plastic and metal Clevis devices http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD875&P=7".. that work well and are less expensive. See photos below for reference. Check out this link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEVW6&P=7

It is all here, ya just have to do a little readin. You can buy the items pictured below from Sails Etc. direct here is the link - they take visa and MC only
http://www.sailsetc.com/fitrig.htm
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 09, 2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:06 AM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Reading back over the thread, I am not clear on how many Vela owners experienced similar issues of not getting full in or out haul.

I know JD did some extensive experimentation on his Vela, which appear to have resolved the issues on his boat. How say you?

It also appears most everyone had issues with the shouds clips and rigging in general.

Be nice to summarize the information gathered thus far for future owners and any other new comers interested in this boat.

Comments are invited!!

Thanks Boomer
Ahh found the info on Page 9 of the forums!

New Vela boat owner and now going over all the old posts, seeing all the same minor problems I am having are the same as others. I am also having the problem of trying to figure out how to get better range out of my sails. I can either have close hauled but am not able to let the sails out as far as I would like, so sort of have it at a compromise I think. How far back in the posts did someone have a fix for this?
Last edited by Autohelm; Sep 10, 2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Found the Info
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:01 AM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
See posts 90 and 60 on this thread -Read those and if you have more questions.

There are several other options for you. Great Planes makes both plastic and metal clevis type connectors - used on RC aircraft - that make very good
adjustable connections. Go to this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...794969&page=11

A caution - a few guys have had the shroud brackets pull off of the deck. I think that problem has been reported in this thread.

Boomer

There are other choices for setting up an adjustable connect at the bracket. Dubro makes an number plastic and metal Clevis devices http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD875&P=7".. that work well and are less expensive. See photos below for reference. Check out this link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEVW6&P=7

It is all here, ya just have to do a little readin. You can buy the items pictured below from Sails Etc. direct here is the link - they take visa and MC only
http://www.sailsetc.com/fitrig.htm
SORRY! Boomer for all the questions, I am finding that of course I am going through all the same issues as you guys were and I am finding all my answers in past posts, I just had to do the legwork! Thanks for your patience, new to the boat and forum
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:32 AM
Evansville, IN
Joined Jul 2002
297 Posts
The rigging screws (Sailetc.com 03-030 rigging screws) are awesome.

Just got some for my Nirvana. Not super cheap but not that expensive either. Delivery was less than one week.
11290 is offline Find More Posts by 11290
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:45 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
The rigging screws (Sailetc.com 03-030 rigging screws) are awesome.

Just got some for my Nirvana. Not super cheap but not that expensive either. Delivery was less than one week.
Atta boy! Now we need some pictures of the completed project! I like their stuff. They have lots of very cool sailboat hardware. Their site takes a little getting used to but once you cruise around it a bit it has lots of neffty stuff.

I posted some of their catolog pages to help those interested in this type of hardware for your RC Yachts. Sailsetc makes and sells it. A place to buy their products is http://radiosailingshop.com.au/index...=index&cPath=1

Remember you can order from Sailsetc directly - should save a little $$
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 10, 2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:20 PM
Evansville, IN
Joined Jul 2002
297 Posts
Boomer1:

Biggest problem for me, if you had not posted the picture with the part #, I would not have known which one to order. Sent them an email before I ordered with a couple of questions and they answered VERY promptly. Great service.

OBTW: Got all my rigging fixed / changed yesterday. Had to "redo" all lines but one and did some with the trolling line you were showing in one earlier pic. Sheets were so long that I ran out of holes to put them in even with the stick in the full low position. Shortened a bit and got them fixed though.

Dreary day today but hope to go out on Monday am for the inaugural sail.
11290 is offline Find More Posts by 11290
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:54 AM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
Vela Out for 4 Hours

Took the Vela out for 4 hours of sailing, I noticed I was getting a lot of weather helm, I guess I will have to move the rigging forward. It was an extremely nice day 5,000 feet up on the mountain lakes. I had a lot of people coming up asking me about the boat. I practiced turning the boat doing circles around kids on stand up paddle boards. The boat is very responsive, I just need to adjust for this weather helm issue. We are planning our first Regatta on September 24, should have at least 3 Velas out there, and several smaller sailboats, pictures to follow. I bought some ski slalom buoys for markers and some inexpensive Kayak anchor kits to weigh them down.

If anyone is interested they can visit the page we just started on Facebook, Cascades Model Yacht Club
Last edited by Autohelm; Sep 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:21 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Vela rigging

Guys,
When you tension your rigs with new turn buckles either the sailsetc ones or the pekabe ones, be careful as you might tear the hull to deck seam. I doubt these really cool lookin boats are designed for the amount of rig tension that other boats like IOM's or US1Meters run with their stainless wire. I have changed mine so that it can handle more rig tension so the mast will stay in colum better.
Are there any Vela boats in the bay area? Ryan
Rssailor is online now Find More Posts by Rssailor
Last edited by Rssailor; Sep 11, 2011 at 10:29 PM.