SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2011, 09:10 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Add sails coming unglued and leaking keel shaft to the list...here is a short vid of a Vela with new sails going up against my new Yamaha on her maiden in light wind. The Yamaha is out of trim but still puts up a good fight...

Vela vs Yamaha (1 min 50 sec)
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2011, 04:33 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Cool video, I like the music. Both boats look good on the water. Light wind ??
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:36 AM
Joined Dec 2007
410 Posts
I enjoy this boat, pretty fast compared to some others. I had a spreader come out of its socket causing the whole rig to come crashing down in heavy wind. As a result two of the lines snapped. I was able to re-tie them. What I don't like is how the spreaders just "sit" in the socket in the mast, I feel they should be permanently attached to the mast. I might glue them on or replace them with an after-market part. I don't understand why the spreaders have a threaded end and no nut in the mast to screw into... I to was unable to have the sails go 80 degrees out. If you have them in tight parallel to the hull you might get 65-70 degrees. So depending on the wind/conditions I just adjust the outhaul sheets to accommodate and can get 80 degrees if so desired. I can go wing on wing with no problem! So far no other problems or leaks, sails doing fine. I did purchase some 100lbs Spectra-type line from the fishing store to slowly replace the stock line as they stretch, break etc... I think this is a really good boat to get you started in the hobby (as well as the Nirvana) and see where it leads you in model yacht racing. It can be put together in a few hours and go sailing. LOOKS AWESOME on land and in the water!!
greggk is offline Find More Posts by greggk
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:09 PM
Joined Dec 2007
410 Posts
BOOMER et al

My spreaders keep coming loose/out in higher wind conditions. Do you guys keep them stock or do you permanently attach/glue them in the mast?
greggk is offline Find More Posts by greggk
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:34 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggk View Post
BOOMER et al

My spreaders keep coming loose/out in higher wind conditions. Do you guys keep them stock or do you permanently attach/glue them in the mast?
Greggk ....try a line looped thru each eyelet at spreaders.

Should help to tie all together
winch is offline Find More Posts by winch
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:31 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
919 Posts
Vela

I was working on putting my vela together today and had a problem. I think all that bought Vela's should be aware that the deck is not well attached to the hull and not attached at all to the structure under the mast. My deck pulled up while I was building the rig today. I have changed the lines to stainless wire and put turnbuckles where the wire terminates at the deck. I also added an aftermarket jib boom made by Sails ETC in the UK. I also purchased Rod Carr sails for the boat. I hope it sails well after I finish fixing it and rigging it. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Last edited by Rssailor; Aug 31, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:28 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
I was working on putting my vela together today and had a problem. I think all that bought Vela's should be aware that the deck is not well attached to the hull and not attached at all to the structure under the mast. My deck pulled up while I was building the rig today. I have changed the lines to stainless wire and put turnbuckles where the wire terminates at the deck. I also added an aftermarket jib boom made my Sails ETC in the UK. I also purchased Rod Carr sails for the boat. I hope it sails well after I finish fixing it and rigging it. Ryan

Ryan
Just curious - don't know from whom you got your boat, but Aquacraft is very good about warranty issues such as yours. If you got from Tower Hobbies better yet. They'd take it back and exchange it - no problem.

When I got my Vela it had major paint issue on the deck - looked a monkey tried to repair it. Called Tower, they sent me a return lable the next day. I have not heard any reports of decks separating. That is a pretty major QC issue.

Sounds like the end product will be very nice. If you haven't fixed it yet take some pictures and post them, and of the finished boat.

Good luck
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:09 AM
Joined Nov 2010
919 Posts
Deck issue

Boomer,
The deck separated when I tensioned the new standing rigging. Really poor connection between the deck and hull. Aquacraft should have used a larger flange to join the deck to the hull. I am going to set this boat up like an IOM.
To fix the problem, I am going to cut in an access behind the mast and an access close to the where the jib boom attaches. Then I will glass the hull and deck joint and make it strong. The forward access will be covered with a sail patch and I will glass the deck back on by the mast after I am done.
Its a good looking boat, should be fast, but I am worried that the hull to deck construction my be the limiting factor and require removal of the deck and building a larger flange. If I can, I will take some pictures. Ryan
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:22 AM
Joined Nov 2010
919 Posts
aqua craft support???

Sent email to aqua craft about the deck issue, but no reply from the manufacturer. Anyone had any dealings with the company? Ryan
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:33 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Sent email to aqua craft about the deck issue, but no reply from the manufacturer. Anyone had any dealings with the company? Ryan
Ryan
Where did you get your boat? That is the first place to contact. They should exchange it for you. If for some reason that doesn't work call AquaCraft at 217-398-8970

Oh, if the store where you got it won't help you, don't buy from them!
As I mentioned in my previous post, AquaCraft is has a very good reputation for customer service in my experience. The longer you wait the harder it gets to return things.
Boomer
Old Sep 02, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Nov 2010
919 Posts
Deck repair

I cut the deck out and epoxied the deck to the hull on one side yesterday. Today I will epoxy the deck to the hull on the other side, then this weekend reattach the deck. Did get an email from Aquacraft, but all it said was we will take you suggestions under advisement. I bought the boat from a private party and won't be returning it. Ryan
Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:08 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Please document your work - this will be very interesting.
I guess it would be a little hard to return it to the guy. Looks like you know what you are doing.

Be watching for more pictures
Boomer
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:18 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
711 Posts
Hi Boomer and Vela sailors,....i was planing on taking my Vela in it's box, un-assembled, to Arizona this winter, then build and sail it as a winter project....but i couldn't wait any longer, and put it together. What a nice RTS kit, so much pre-fab, and i think it's great looking!....the Vela may not be a "top of the line" racing boat, but it is an easy to assemble, large, complete sailboat with a 2.4Ghz radio system, that somebody like me can have a lot of fun with!....
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:05 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Phil
The Vela is in deed a handsome yacht. I think the graphics are what sell it.
If you have read the comments on this and other Vela discussions, you know what to watch out for.

It looks like you got a nice one there! Hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 06, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:15 AM
Joined Nov 2010
919 Posts
Vela repair

I glassed the hull and deck together just aft of the shrouds with carbon fibre cloth and then I used west system epoxy with 404 filler to glue the hull to the deck right under the shrouds on both sides. This now made it a challenge to put the carbon cloth on to join the structure under the mast to the deck and overlap it into the area where I removed the deck. I cut another piece of carbon cloth to fit under the deck from the back of the hole that I cut under the deck and then I attached it under the deck and overlapped it with the first piece that it installed earlier. This now closed the hole that I cut under the deck and allowed me use some thickened epoxy and attach the piece of deck that I cut out. Boat is now stronger than ever and should be able to take rig tension that most other RC sailboats run with. I plan on having the spot on the deck that I cut out gelcoated so that the boat will look better as it is a bit rough looking right now. Will take a picture when I take the tape off tomorrow. Ryan