HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:01 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
Funny how all the girlie pics get all the views...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:44 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Capt.Crash, exactly where is this pond ??????
This is more like what you'll really see at Crash's pond.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:20 PM
Joined Dec 2007
403 Posts
Hi all
Just started to put the boat together...
The two piece mast, assuming I don't glue it together, does the CF mast just slide on the "bolt" portion of the other half of the (top) mast or should there be a "nut" inside the the other half of the (lower) mast? I seems to not fit super tight.
Additionally the spreaders just push into the little holes, again no "nut" inside the portion attached to the mast. I havent tightened all the lines yet so I'm not sure how "tight" it all is. IS THIS NORMAL SO FAR? I was surprised a little when I opened the box. The hull seemed fine in most areas but the rudder shaft was rusted and pitted at the top, and the on/off RX switch screws were also rusted and the entire servo tray was loose. But other screws seemed new and shinny.
Lastly, for now... the mast just sit in a small slot about 1/4" deep, is that strong enough? seems like the mast/sails will just slip off in higher winds.
Thanks for your help.
greggk is offline Find More Posts by greggk
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:42 PM
Joined Dec 2007
403 Posts
Been enjoying the boat... Had her out today and a spreader "let-loose" along with the shroud when sailing closed hauled. Mast, jib, mainsail all come down. Looks like where the knots were is where it came undone. You guys mentioned it prior in this thread about the quality of the lines. What do you recommend I replace all the rigging with?
Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:14 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
319 Posts
Don't forget to use a drop of CA glue on all of your knots. The thin stuff is best, but you have to be really careful because it can run all over. Doing that prevents those knots from coming undone in bigger winds.
flatlandsailor is online now Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:49 PM
Joined Dec 2007
403 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAPJE&P=Z

Had a tough time turning in light winds today... Came back to the dock and discovered something was binding. Towers description calls it the "jib support with tie rod." Its essentially the bottom of the mast that the main sail boom swings on.
Its some how binding as the boom moves through center position. It take a bit of force to move the boom side to side thru the center position. Any Ideas? Did not do this before.
I took it all apart and re-tensioned all the lines...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:55 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,383 Posts
Gregg
Are you talking about the boom vang? I looked up the parts you mentioned on Tower's web site (shown it the picture below) why they are calling it a "jib support with tie rod" is unknown to me. I think of those as a goose neck and boom vang. Whatever floats your boat, right?

The Vela has an adjustable boom vang which is also shown in the picture below, which is what they are calling the "tie rod". Just wondering if it is too tight, or extended to far resulting in excessive pressure on the ball joints? Just a thought.

If those connections are jammed in some way it could cause a bind as the main travels in an out. If your sheets feed in and out freely, and the servo is operating without any issue, that might be worth checking.

Boomer
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:13 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
319 Posts
That's interesting and very similar to the Seawind setup. Actually the Vela looks a little better--the vang adjustment at least has a place to grab when turning it. For the stock SW vang you have to disconnect it and then twist it to adjust it. From the looks of it, with the Vela you can do it connected. That's a big part of the reason the SW class allows you to upgrade the vang (as long as you utilize the stock ball end setup).
flatlandsailor is online now Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:16 AM
Joined Dec 2007
403 Posts
Thanks Boomer,
Yes those are the parts I'm referring to. The Goose neck is where its binding. What happens is it starts to bind as the sail comes in and will not shift to the other side easily. So when it binds on the ball link it forces the actual black plastic piece that the ball is attached to and tries to rotate the "sleeve" around the mast... Then I hear a click and it all shifts in the direction of the sail is moving. I have sailed it several times without this problem, it's just presented it self during its last sail. I loosened the boom/clew line, and down haul which has helped. I presume I could have had them to tight?? How much trimming are you doing on this boat and do you change them often depending on wind conditions?
I used to sail a Laser which had several more "adjustments" then this and you tend to be adjusting all the time while under sail.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:40 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
509 Posts
Commom cause of goose neck binding is having to much backstay tension which induces a bend not only at the top of the mast but also at the bottom which binds the goose neck when boom crosses the center line of the boat.

One option is to introduce a support of some sort to stiffen up the mast at the goose neck, either by having sleeve over the mast or a tube inside the mast ... the goose neck takes more pressure than you think especailly as rod vang is pushing against the mast base.

Cheers k1
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:13 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
Commom cause of goose neck binding is having to much backstay tension which induces a bend not only at the top of the mast but also at the bottom which binds the goose neck when boom crosses the center line of the boat.

One option is to introduce a support of some sort to stiffen up the mast at the goose neck, either by having sleeve over the mast or a tube inside the mast ... the goose neck takes more pressure than you think especailly as rod vang is pushing against the mast base.

Cheers k1
KoneWone
I think you've put your finger on the source of the problem! Sure like to see the rest of that boat. Nice!!!!!!!!!
Boomer

Gregg
Let us know if loosening the backstay resolves your issue.
Boomer
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:17 AM
Joined Dec 2007
403 Posts
Thanks all, That fixed it!
Do you guys recommend a web site/place that sells RC sailboat parts of high quality that I could replace the ones from the stock Vela as they ware or break (line, sails, boom, masts, hatches, spreaders, turn-buckles, etc...).
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:35 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Sure like to see the rest of that boat. Nice!!!!!!!!! Boomer
It is only IACC 120 which I think you all know, you can see my build thread IACC 120 Blackmagic, just finished and doing fine tuning in prep for Cup regatta Oct in Italy.

but but ....just make your mouth water here Boomer I'm picking up my new Sprinta-RC this weekend, Christian & Hannas Ramoser (designer & builder) have approx 70 boats built so far l've decided to join them in the Sprinta regatta scene here in Germany that is very active & socail group.

When I'm back from my holidays in approx 2 weeks I'll start new thread on Sprinta-RC so you can dribble all over your keyboard

Cheers All
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:44 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
It is only IACC 120 which I think you all know, you can see my build thread IACC 120 Blackmagic, just finished and doing fine tuning in prep for Cup regatta Oct in Italy.

but but ....just make your mouth water here Boomer I'm picking up my new Sprinta-RC this weekend, Christian & Hannas Ramoser (designer & builder) have approx 70 boats built so far l've decided to join them in the Sprinta regatta scene here in Germany that is very active & socail group.

When I'm back from my holidays in approx 2 weeks I'll start new thread on Sprinta-RC so you can dribble all over your keyboard

Cheers All
I am very happy for you! Would be happier if I was getting it, to be perfiectly honest!
Like a man once said "the rich seem to get richer" I will be looking forward to that build and will have some drool towels handy!!

Congrats!

Boomer

Gregg
Here are some good sources for RC Yacht hardware. The first one is the manufacturer of a lot of the items the other two sell. You save money if you buy directly from Sails etc.
If you need catalog pages of their stuff shoot me a PM with your email address and I will send the to you. Or you can find them on Radio Sailing Shops website.
Boomer

Sailsetc.com
https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustralia.com/products
http://radiosailingshop.com.au/index...3f1d8c07f8b442
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 01, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:37 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,383 Posts
Has everyone resolved the in and out haul issues?

Reading back over the thread, I am not clear on how many Vela owners experienced similar issues of not getting full in or out haul.

I know JD did some extensive experimentation on his Vela, which appear to have resolved the issues on his boat. How say you?

It also appears most everyone had issues with the shouds clips and rigging in general.

Be nice to summarize the information gathered thus far for future owners and any other new comers interested in this boat.

Comments are invited!!

Thanks Boomer