HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:27 PM
Joined May 2008
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Sloboat
Short answer to your question.
Normally the Vela is $349 but Tower has a good promotion or sale going on right now, so the Vela's for the momment are closer in price. I don't think that will be the norm.

Had them both. The Vela is a 1 Meter AC style boat and the Nirvana is a sloop and 32" long, so they will have some inherent differences. The Vela is faster by design than the Nirvana.

The Nirvana is very easy to set up out of the box and needs very little tuning to have you out on the water - The Vela is a more sophisticated boat - to optomize the boats performance advanced knowledge will go along way in getting the Vela to perform to it's potential. To me the Nirvana is just a very good all round sailor.

The Vela is better looking to my taste, longer leaner and good looking graphics etc.
The easy call is to get one of each.

Boomer
Thanks SLOBOAT
sloboat66 is offline Find More Posts by sloboat66
Last edited by sloboat66; Jun 22, 2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: change info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:28 PM
Joined May 2008
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Sloboat
Short answer to your question.
Normally the Vela is $349 but Tower has a good promotion or sale going on right now, so the Vela's for the momment are closer in price. I don't think that will be the norm.

Had them both. The Vela is a 1 Meter AC style boat and the Nirvana is a sloop and 32" long, so they will have some inherent differences. The Vela is faster by design than the Nirvana.

The Nirvana is very easy to set up out of the box and needs very little tuning to have you out on the water - The Vela is a more sophisticated boat - to optomize the boats performance advanced knowledge will go along way in getting the Vela to perform to it's potential. To me the Nirvana is just a very good all round sailor.

The Vela is better looking to my taste, longer leaner and good looking graphics etc.
The easy call is to get one of each.

Boomer
Boomer Thanks for the info! For me it seems that for the extra $100.00 or so, it is not really that much more boat then my Nirvana. I have an extra radio, so maybe the Victoria ($110.00)would be a better choice. Thoughts? SLOBOAT
sloboat66 is offline Find More Posts by sloboat66
Last edited by sloboat66; Jun 22, 2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: change info
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:15 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboat66 View Post
Boomer Thanks for the info! For me it seems that for the extra $100.00, the Vela is a lot of money and not really that much more boat then my Nirvana. Next ?, your thoughts on the Nirvana2 versus the Victoria. I have an extra radio to use in the Victoria (from my Paradice) if I decide to expand my fleet(2 boats , Nirvana and a Paradice, some fleet!). My brother says to gut the Paradice, but I have been fiddling with it and it isn't to bad now. Even if I have to buy another radio, the
Timing is everything, or so they say. I just sold a super nice Victoria to a fellow on the other coast. (NY)

How does the Vicky compare with the Nirvana you asked? Nirvana is a bit longer and wider. I haven't weighed them, I'd have to look up their specs. to tell which one weighs the most. The Vicky is a very good light wind boat and not so bad in the heavier stuff. The sails on a Victoria are better than the Nirvana's in the sense of their shape and sensitivity in finding even very little wind an converting that to power. I never had them side by side, but I give the Nirvana the edge on top speed. The Victoria uses the more standard sail servo set up, compared to the Nirvana unique set up. Two very good boats. I sold the Vicky and kept the Nirvana. I prefer the looks of the Nirvana. I feel the Nirvana is a better all around sailor

I suggest going to something beyond a 30" boat. I'd like to see you get into the 1 meter size like the Vela or Seawind. I enjoyed my Seawind, which does not come as an RTS boat it comes as a simi-kit. If you shop around the kit can be had for $230 to $240 - you'd need a high quality sail servo, standard rudder servo and battery holder. The sail servo in the Paradise is not strong enough for the Seawinds demands, but most of your Paridise electronics should work.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Vela, but having had both, if I had to choose one, It'd be the Seawind.

The Thunder Tiger products: ENTZ, Voyager, China Team are really the same boats with different paint schemes and can make good boats, They will require a few fixes according to the build reports I have read, but a handy person can manage with out any major issues. They are good looking boats for sure. I like the looks of the ENTZ - but that's me.

Interestingly, Hobbyking's Phantom is pretty much a knock off of the Thunder Tiger boats. For those willing to upgrade the rigging and sails, for very little money, you can have a good looking and a decent sailing 1M.

All of the boats mentioned are fashioned after America's Cup boats, as such, will sail similarly to a point.

There are the racing class boats to consider should you opt get into racing. ODOM, C914, 1 M Soling, and so on. The guys that get into those boats really love sailboat racing and really get into it. If you are interested in learning more about class racing boats, check out the AMYA website. It also has a classified ad section, which is a good resource for those interested buying something someone has already set up.

I like scale boats that look realistic that can perform well at the same time. So I am drawn to boats that have some detail and if they are replicas of real boats, even better.

Those that know me, know that my favorite RC sail boat is Tamiya's Yamaha Round the World of which I am very fortunate to have two. Got them both new in their original packaging. The last one I saw on E-bay went for about a grand. They have become extremely rare, almost extinict. Those of us that have um, keep um.

If I were a man of greater means, I'd own at least one Sprinta - a German made master piece in RC Sailing craftsmenship. To get one fully set up and painted you'd be into it for about $1500 - to me it'd be worth it.

If you would like to chat, send me a PM with your phone number -

There a number of choices out there some good and some not so much.

Look forward to hearing from you

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 22, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:12 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Vela no more....

The scratch and dent "used/no damage" Vela arrived damaged yesterday. Servo tray parts were lying on top of the foam when I opened the box. The servo tray was dislodged from the boat, parts of it in the boat. The main sail was damaged from shipping it with the Luff rings still in the sail. Two places on the top side were nicked down through the gel coat. Tower was very nice about returning the boat. I plan to stick with the Nirvana II for now. Good luck with your Vela sailboats. Dave
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:55 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex View Post
The scratch and dent "used/no damage" Vela arrived damaged yesterday. Servo tray parts were lying on top of the foam when I opened the box. The servo tray was dislodged from the boat, parts of it in the boat. The main sail was damaged from shipping it with the Luff rings still in the sail. Two places on the top side were nicked down through the gel coat. Tower was very nice about returning the boat. I plan to stick with the Nirvana II for now. Good luck with your Vela sailboats. Dave
When ever you see that comment on a "scratch and dent" item, call custmer service to see what their computer says. I did that on one of those boats and they fellow said that what was printed on the web was incorrect. His said some his system stated it has some damage, but not specific. He also advised they are suppost to provide a more accurate description but, that doesn't always happen. Such is obviously what happened to yours. Those are typically so as is with no warranty, so you were fortunate to be able to return it.

Like my Mom used to say "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". I passed on that deal myself.

Glad it all worked out
Boomer
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:47 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
934 Posts
Hey Boomer
interesting - I recently "discovered" the Sprinta , saw an image somewhere
and googled the info , then found he website. I am intrigued by the overlapping
genoa used on these boats. I got the idea these are models, to scale , of a
actual "people" boat - I think a 23 footer ? I wish I could see how they
control the genoa sheets . I believe the Sprinta's are about 47" LOA ?
here's a couple of pics I saved...
Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:04 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
Hey Boomer
interesting - I recently "discovered" the Sprinta , saw an image somewhere
and googled the info , then found he website. I am intrigued by the overlapping
genoa used on these boats. I got the idea these are models, to scale , of a
actual "people" boat - I think a 23 footer ? I wish I could see how they
control the genoa sheets . I believe the Sprinta's are about 47" LOA ?
here's a couple of pics I saved...
Allan
I have all the data on the Sprinta - price sheet specs etc. When I first discovered them, I contacted the factory. Another buddy of mine and I were interesting in bringing them to the States. The fellow is very nice but is pretty happy with his current level of business.

Most everything is on their webside - it is in German. I spent a while translating with help from Google - When I get an extra $1500 I'll get one. The kit is less, but I wanted it painted like the one in the pictures you saved and with all the cool rigging.

I figured by the time I ordered all the hardware - painted it built it - I'b be in it somewhere close to that. So, why not have them do it?

You are correct they are scale models of the full Size Sprinta. Very hard to tell the difference in pictures.

Their web site has some very cool videos of these boats. I have lots of pictures them I use like an old Sears calalog - my wish book kind of deal.

Great minds think alike
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 01, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:18 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
... interesting - I recently "discovered" the Sprinta ... I wish I could see how they control the genoa sheets . ...
Allan
See attached image.
It's from a recent thread with participation from H Ramoser.
http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/show...287-Sprinta-RC

Jack
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1 Posts
Just purchased my Vela

Hey gang , new to your forums but I have been reading them for a week now, through reading your forums I have purchased a Vela and had it out for the first time today, I have never owned a RC anything let alone a boat but I figure I race 30 foot Sailboats weekly so how hard could it be. I went to the local lake and 4 guys were racing Soling 1 meters. They helped me get my riging tuned a bit better let alone the servo's ( check your servo's they were not extending as far as they could have thankfully they showed me the fix.

Anyways, I have replaced ALL of the clips they came stock with ( Bent an original within the first minute) . SHe did great very very fast upwind and points better then theirs, BUT im not sure why I can't get my Sails to go Downwind to do Wing on Wing, If I set it up to go wing on wing distance I can't close the sails in enough... Any thoughts?

Owe is anyone Near Oak Harbor , Wa? Whidbey ISland
JamesQeastar is offline Find More Posts by JamesQeastar
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:10 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesQeastar View Post
Owe is anyone Near Oak Harbor , Wa? Whidbey ISland
Some clubs in Washington

288 Anacortes RC Sailors
Email: Julian Lee Classes Sailed: IOM, Soling 1M
PO Box 2009 Area served:
Anacortes, WA 98221-2009 sail location: Cranberry Lake, Deception Pass SP
360 299-2900

119 Gig Harbor Model Yacht Club
Email: Kelly Martin Classes Sailed: EC12, Victoria
3872 Spadoni Lane Area served:
Gig Harbor, WA 98335- sail location:
253 858-9614

294 Pacific Northwest MYC
Email: Allan Van Ness Classes Sailed: Other, T37, Other(T50)
PO Box 82086 Area served:
Kenmore, WA 98028-0086 sail location: Multiple locations
425 485-3587

132 Seattle Model Yacht Club
Email: Harry Lyle Classes Sailed: T37, Victoria
16105 107 Street SE Area served: Seattle Metro Area
Snohomish, WA 98290-4586 sail location: Green Lake, Seattle
206 459-0442

194 Sequim Aquanauts
Email: Jack Ronda Classes Sailed: EC12, ODOM, Other, Soling 1M, US1M, Other(F48)
P.O.Box 121 Area served: Olympic Peninsula
Sequim, WA 98382-0121 sail location:
360 683-3460
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:32 AM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
JamesQ - quite a bit about this at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1327983&page=8
winch is offline Find More Posts by winch
Old Jul 06, 2011, 04:44 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
711 Posts
Thank you guys for all the great info and links....it's like being down at the lake and having all your smartest friends on the shore, sailing with you and sharing their best tips!....as mentioned earlier, i couldn't resist the $249 sale price of the VELA, and have recieved it, and also acquired some heavier swivels from the local tackle store....Linda and i are anxious to get down to the lake soon (South Twin lake), and after some sorting n testing, put in at the many lakes surrounding us, and we'll be sure to post some fotos. We head to Arizona for the winters, and i'm planning on taking this sailboat with us.....Thanks again Boomer for all the first hand info and fotos!
MRFASTPHIL is online now Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Jul 06, 2011, 06:01 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,560 Posts
No problem. We all learn from the fourm. Enjoy
Boomer
Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Dec 2007
410 Posts
Hello gang,
Just read through the thread. Thanks for the info. To bad it appears I missed the $50 off, its now 349. Anyway, I'm new to sailing and have only sailed a "footie." Where I am the water is very choppy, the 12" acts like a cork and just rides the "swells" (chop scaled to the size boat). How would a 1M do in this type of water, additionally how much wind can the Vela handle out of the box? Is there a better hull or sail setup that is better in choppy water then the Vela?

Does anyone know about this Graupner?
http://www.v-eastonline.com/products...-EXTREME-.html
Thanks again
greggk is offline Find More Posts by greggk
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:17 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggk View Post
Hello gang,
Just read through the thread. Thanks for the info. To bad it appears I missed the $50 off, its now 349. Anyway, I'm new to sailing and have only sailed a "footie." Where I am the water is very choppy, the 12" acts like a cork and just rides the "swells" (chop scaled to the size boat). How would a 1M do in this type of water, additionally how much wind can the Vela handle out of the box? Is there a better hull or sail setup that is better in choppy water then the Vela?

Does anyone know about this Graupner?
http://www.v-eastonline.com/products...-EXTREME-.html
Thanks again
First the $50 off program is back - just got two messages advertising the discounts again.

I have been looking at that boat for some time know. I like scale boats and particularly Deep Ocean Racing Yachts. There are really so few of these made it is a shame.

My issue with this boat is it a expensive for a 37.9 inch boat (960 MM) - Granted is appears to come with servos and a radio, but still $493.42 (excluding tax) plus shipping is a lot for a small boat. If it was a 1M boat, I think I could get more excited about it. I did a search on this boat and found one off shore for $306.85 or £192.99 but have no idea on shipping costs. I found a closed e-bay action for one that the Winning bid was:121.90 (£88.00) heck of deal there mate, even with shipping from the UK

My favorite RC Yacht is Tamiya's Yamaha RTW 1M - If you can find one, you will have to pay about as much, maybe a little more, but you get more boat.

I have collected a few pictures that provide a better look at this boat. Looks pretty good - just wish it was a 1M.

If you still what the Vela here is the code for $300.00 or more $50.00 = 016V7

You asked how much wind can a Vela handle. Good question. Depends on who's sailing it, but generally this size boat can be sailed up to 15 mph - some may say more but I think most folks over estimate wind speeds. These boats luv winds of 5 mph to 8 mph. Not saying they can't be sailed in heavier stuff, just that they do well in these conditions. Gusting winds are hard on equipment, so use caution if the winds are gusting and not steady. Can be very exciting - also they can break things.

The Vela is a handsome boat, no doubt and at $300 is not too bad a price. I have seen them down to $300 less the $50 discount. Now that's even better.

I don't what to Hijack the thread with a bunch of pictures of the other boat, so I will start another thread on it if there isn't one already.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 10, 2011 at 08:34 PM.