SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:39 AM
Malta, Victoria
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
Thanks Boomer, thanks Martinm see you on the other side.
linnet is offline Find More Posts by linnet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:19 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winch View Post
Badboyr6 ... is it possible that one of the spreaders came out? That would put alot of pressure on the side stays and the whole mast would probably give easily in a stronger wind.

I agree that the boat would likely be "knocked down" on it's side repeatedly before this would ever happen when set up rite.
Even in strong winds...
im not sure, i guess it could be possible for that happen, or there might of been way too much wind. I honestly have not been able to take the boat out again after that incident, i will be able to after this week(i have finals at the moment) and i will report back to see how its going.
sonicboom24 is offline Find More Posts by sonicboom24
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:19 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post
Tower is knocking 50.00 of the Vela right now.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW8198&P=E

Stringfly <>++++
thats a good price, i paid 30 bucks more about 3 weeks ago... grrrr
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:31 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
....i saw the price go down to $299, and with the $40 off code and free shipping, i couldn't resist the $259 price.... tracking says thursday delivery, just in time to head to the lake and enjoy the great weather!
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:49 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
MRFASTPHIL, Do replace the snap swivels. The kit ones are not acceptable !!!

Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:01 AM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
Thanks for the heads up StringFly!... what do you use for your replacements? ...both linda and i have sailboats, and are fortunate to live among several lakes here in Oregon....we'll look forward to posting some new fotos from a nearby lake of our new VELA soon....
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:34 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
See post #86 page 6. JD used size 3 crane swivels. The kit ones are junk.

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:51 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
tower actually adjusted my price because it was within the 30 days of purchase, so i got 50 dollars off and free shipping!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:19 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
You gotta luv Tower Hobbies! Good folks to do business with!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:46 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
yeah they are the best! i always purchase from them just for that reason, they have great customer service!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 05:17 PM
Joined May 2008
52 Posts
Vela...

How does the Vela compare to the Nirvana2? Seems that the price difference isn't much, but what about how they sail stock for stock. Sloboat
sloboat66 is offline Find More Posts by sloboat66
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:57 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboat66 View Post
How does the Vela compare to the Nirvana2? Seems that the price difference isn't much, but what about how they sail stock for stock. Sloboat
Sloboat
Short answer to your question.
Normally the Vela is $349 but Tower has a good promotion or sale going on right now, so the Vela's for the momment are closer in price. I don't think that will be the norm.

Had them both. The Vela is a 1 Meter AC style boat and the Nirvana is a sloop and 32" long, so they will have some inherent differences. The Vela is faster by design than the Nirvana.

The Nirvana is very easy to set up out of the box and needs very little tuning to have you out on the water - The Vela is a more sophisticated boat - to optomize the boats performance advanced knowledge will go along way in getting the Vela to perform to it's potential. To me the Nirvana is just a very good all round sailor.

The Vela is better looking to my taste, longer leaner and good looking graphics etc.
The easy call is to get one of each.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 21, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:29 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
One of each

Hello everyone. I have a Vela coming Wednesday. Seems none of these boats are really Ready to Sail. I do happen to have a Nirvana II and now a Vela. The Nirvana II requires modifications here and there to get it up to speed just it appears the Vela needs a little work. I have read all of this thread and appreciate all the good information you fellows have posted. I would like to know if anyone has measured the size of holes in the sails where the grommets should be?

Thanks,
Dave
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Last edited by Phoenex; Jun 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
No Print sails

Quote:
But...to have more than one on the pond would be confusing due to the limited graphics/paint options.
Quote:
The other thing that bothers me is the same thing with all the RTRs out there that come with the pretty graphics. The boats are all the same and more than one on on the water at a time just looks wrong. It needs an option to come with plain sails and paint so it can be easily modified...or come in a variety of colors....like the Nirvana. You may be able to peel off the decals on the hull, but I doubt you can change the sails.
Advantage Hobby is now listing No print sails for the Vela.

Main & Jib Sails No Print Vela Sailboat

Dave
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:56 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
Dave
Statics suggest that most people don't race their sailboats. Those that do find ways to identify their boat from another. I am not aware of a AMYA class for the Vela, so racing with other Vela owner's shouldn't present an overwhelming number of problems.

Typically, sails are one color, so Skipper's paint their boats, and use numbers to keep track of their boats.

The price Advantage is offering is not bad, so if having the same colorful sails as someone other Vela owner you might be on the same pond with bothers you, it can easily be remedied.

My take is at this time in space, it is a non issue. One man's opinion

Boomer