HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:05 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
thats awesome, im glad someone actually did some research, becuase i was at the point of ordering that one, and like you stated above, its "as is"- kinda sucks, im getting my new vela today, as soon as the ups driver decides to show up! i'll post some pics!
sonicboom24 is online now Find More Posts by sonicboom24
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:01 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Tower has a nice deal on Vela's right now. Check it out

FYI - If you are a member of Tower Hobbies Super Saver program a new L3K105 AquaCraft Vela One Meter Sailboat 2.4GHz is being advertised for $334.98 (equals 15.00 off list) plus an additional $50.00 off with the discount code below = $289.98and no shipping charge. Not a bad price for a RTS boat!

I copied a pasted in the information you see here from Tower's weekly e-mail to Super Saver Members. It is worth the little they charge to join.

Boomer

Order Totals: YOU SAVE Use Ad#
$100.00 - $124.99 $15.00 016BP
$125.00 - $149.99 $20.00 016BR
$150.00 - $199.99 $25.00 016BT
$200.00 - $224.99 $30.00 016BV
$225.00 - $249.99 $35.00 016BW
$250.00 - $299.99 $40.00 016BX
$300.00 or more $50.00 016BY

Remember, as a #1 Super Saver Club Member, the standard shipping charge of $9.99 is also waived on purchases of $150 or more, increasing your savings. This special #1 Super Saver Club offer is for members only. This offer is not retroactive and not applicable to drop-ship items. Please, only one promotional ad number per order.
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:07 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Tower has a nice deal on Vela's right now. Check it out

FYI - If you are a member of Tower Hobbies Super Saver program a new L3K105 AquaCraft Vela One Meter Sailboat 2.4GHz is being advertised for $334.98 (equals 15.00 off list) plus an additional $50.00 off with the discount code below = $289.98 with no shipping charge. Not a bad price for a RTS boat!

I copied a pasted in the information you see here from Tower's weekly e-mail to Super Saver Members. It is worth the little they charge to join.

Boomer
These discount codes expire soon.

f Your Order Totals: YOU SAVE Use Ad#
$100.00 - $124.99 $15.00 011J1
$125.00 - $149.99 $20.00 011J2
$150.00 - $199.99 $25.00 011J3
$200.00 - $224.99 $30.00 011J4
$225.00 - $249.99 $35.00 011J5
$250.00 - $299.99 $40.00 011J6
$300.00 or more $50.00 011J7

Remember, as a #1 Super Saver Club Member, the standard shipping charge of $9.99 is also waived on purchases of $150 or more, increasing your savings. This special #1 Super Saver Club offer is for members only. This offer is not retroactive and not applicable to drop-ship items. Please, only one promotional ad number per order.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 05, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:19 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
thats exactly what i got...good deal in my opinion...
i took the boat out on friday for its maiden voyage..and well i had a problem sailing her. Im not sure if it was too windy, but as soon as she was on her way in the water, the sail collapsed. The mast came out of the spot and fell down, i had to go swimming for her. I did make sure all the lines were tight, so i know that the mast was not loose at all, is this a normal thing?
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:23 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboyr6 View Post
thats exactly what i got...good deal in my opinion...
i took the boat out on friday for its maiden voyage..and well i had a problem sailing her. Im not sure if it was too windy, but as soon as she was on her way in the water, the sail collapsed. The mast came out of the spot and fell down, i had to go swimming for her. I did make sure all the lines were tight, so i know that the mast was not loose at all, is this a normal thing?
That is not at all normal! Wow, that would have made a great video! If the boat is set up correctly the mast won't fall down. Without being there to see how you set up the boat up, one can only image what might have gone wrong.

The two shroud lines on each side deck hold the mast up (laterally) side to side. The backstay and forestay also provide mast support, but front to back and provide the a method to control the angle the mast has front to back. Typically, the backstay is taught, but not like the shroud lines.

They all work together to keep the mast upright. The base of the mast should provide a secure enough connection to the hull to prevent the mast from wondering about the deck. By no means can it keep the mast upright by it's self when under way.

Did anything break? Did any of the deck plates pull of the deck?

It is possible for a sailboat to be "de-masted" but it takes some serious winds to do it. And before it happens the boat would likely be "knocked down" on it's side repeatedly, and generally, just get beaten relentlessly. I watched this happen on a You tube video. The fellow did not know how to sail his boat, and put his boat in peril unwittingly.

If you haven't put the boat back together, you could take a few pictures to show us what it looks like.

Something was not right for that to happen. Sorry you had to go swimming to save it. Glad you got it back.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 06, 2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:17 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
nothing broke, the sail just fell in the water and stayed there connected to the boat. so i swam out there and brought it back in, its weird because the mast was sitting in its spot and i started with the side lines, tightened them, and then did the front and back. I guess there was too much wind? how tight do the sides have to be? i dont want to break anything either, by tightening them too much.

i did set the boat as per the instructions and pics on this forum, so i know the lines are in the correct spots. i put the boat back together, so its still in brand new form
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:20 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
i'll be honest, by looking at the video on the previous page, the wind was blowing a lot more than that, the ripples were 3x more..so maybe it was that?
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:57 AM
Jersey,C.I. (GB)
Joined Mar 2008
172 Posts
Shroud usually refers to an item, such as a cloth, that covers or protects some other object. The term is most often used in reference to burial sheets, winding-cloths or winding-sheets, such as the famous Shroud of Turin or Tachrichim (burial shrouds) that Jews are dressed in for burial. Traditionally, burial shrouds are made of white cotton, wool or linen, though any material can be used so long as it is made of natural fibre.

This definition from wiki is a good reminder that shrouds should not move, and that if they do then something is seriously wrong !!!

Sheets, however, can and do move; they are the sail control lines.

Edward.
Islander51 is offline Find More Posts by Islander51
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:45 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
REPLACE !!!!!!! all of the shroud swivels with some good ones. The ones supplied are way to weak and small.

Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:28 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander51 View Post
Shroud usually refers to an item, such as a cloth, that covers or protects some other object. The term is most often used in reference to burial sheets, winding-cloths or winding-sheets, such as the famous Shroud of Turin or Tachrichim (burial shrouds) that Jews are dressed in for burial. Traditionally, burial shrouds are made of white cotton, wool or linen, though any material can be used so long as it is made of natural fibre.

This definition from wiki is a good reminder that shrouds should not move, and that if they do then something is seriously wrong !!!

Sheets, however, can and do move; they are the sail control lines.

Edward.

Edward,
This link might be of interest to you. I find that is helps me understand when other more knowledgeable sailors talk to me about different aspects of sailing and of their boats.
Check out this link. http://comminfo.rutgers.edu/~elfox/terms.html#S

Shrouds = support wires for the mast, transverse wires or ropes that support the mast laterally.

The terms sailors use don't always make sense, nontheless, shrouds in sailing terms have a very different meaning. It is fun to try to understand how these terms were developed over time.

The question is a good one; " how tight do the sides have to be? i dont want to break anything either, by tightening them too much." A bit difficult to answer, easier to demonstrate. It takes some feel to know when they are tightened to the proper tension.

The first consideration is the construction of the RC boats we are working or bend a spreader or even snap the mast. So over tightening is not good.

I found a link that addresses this subjects for full sized sailboats, but the concepts are the same. It might be fun to read it and see if you have a better understanding of how this is done. http://www.ask.com/bar?q=+how+to+pro...=1307378863424

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 06, 2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Badboyr6 ... is it possible that one of the spreaders came out? That would put alot of pressure on the side stays and the whole mast would probably give easily in a stronger wind.

I agree that the boat would likely be "knocked down" on it's side repeatedly before this would ever happen when set up rite.
Even in strong winds...
winch is offline Find More Posts by winch
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:08 PM
Malta, Victoria
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
Hey Boomer, i got my Nirvana 11, Sorry i am writing about the nirvana here, but please forgive me for the moment. I also took it down to the water and i must say i am fully satified with it. I only want to know if i am wrong to say that if it is possible i will change the original sail servo to a stronger one. Am i wrong to say that the original one lacks that power? The batteries are brand new, so is it the servo or it is natural that even in a sort of light wind when one sheets in the sail is not sheeting in to the decired possition? Please advice me if you know the real facts, as i am sure you do.. hehe. Thanks.
linnet is offline Find More Posts by linnet
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:59 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
If it's a problem even in slight winds it sounds more like a problem of friction in the running rigging.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:54 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnet View Post
Hey Boomer, i got my Nirvana 11, Sorry i am writing about the nirvana here, but please forgive me for the moment. I also took it down to the water and i must say i am fully satified with it. I only want to know if i am wrong to say that if it is possible i will change the original sail servo to a stronger one. Am i wrong to say that the original one lacks that power? The batteries are brand new, so is it the servo or it is natural that even in a sort of light wind when one sheets in the sail is not sheeting in to the decired possition? Please advice me if you know the real facts, as i am sure you do.. hehe. Thanks.

linnet
Suggest we swing this conversation over to the Official Nirvana thread to help maintain continuity. A few "rabbit trails" are always going to happen, so it is not a major issue to respond to you here.

I agree with Martin's response to your issue. While these boats are very easy to set up, there is learning curve to optomize the performance of this very fine boat. The short answer to your question about the factory sail servo is that the factory servo is not as strong as it could be. So, upgrading to a higher torque servo will enhanse you control significantly. I think we can help you tune up the sails so you can minimize the problem.

I will add more detail to this response on the Nirvana thread.

Congrats on the new Nirvana. What color did you get? I know you will enjoy it for many years to come.

See you on the Nirvana thread.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 15, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:12 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Tower is knocking 50.00 of the Vela right now.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW8198&P=E

Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY