Old May 15, 2011, 07:36 PM
Z0Z
Jack of the Dust
47.46N 122.11W +282 Seattle
Joined May 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
Battery life is in fact less with 5xNiMH that with 4x, However, it does have the advantage of providing more torque and speed, but that comes with increased current consumption. In all events, either should provide ample sailing time, though packing a spare freshly charged battery pack is always worthwhile.
Maybe this is a myth among us skippers but I've stuck with good ole AA alkaline. Ive heard that once NiMH packs die your dead, if alkaline dies it just fades away, enough power for the rudder to dead-stick it back to the doc.

Gary
Z0Z is offline Find More Posts by Z0Z
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2011, 07:48 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
In the years I have been sailing, I've not run completely out of battery. I have had the sail servo (the power hog of the two) start to show signs of weakness. Which to means, get to shore.

Don't remember if I mentioned this on this thread but, a simple check of your batteries before launch should be SOP. I have a very simple multimeter in my sailing kit, that I use faithfully on each of my battery packs before leaving for the water.

I have a very short check list of things to check before I put any of my boats in the water. It is just a habit picked up from my flying experience.

If you see your main not pulling in normally in against the wind, you can be pretty sure the batteries are starting drop below the needed power.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; May 21, 2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:24 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
68 Posts
hey guys, i just ordered a kit from tower, i used to sail a kosho sea dolphin, but unfortunately it got broken up over time. So the kit is in the mail, and i should be receiving it next week some time. Any mods i should do asap? or any recommendations on the build? thanks
sonicboom24 is offline Find More Posts by sonicboom24
Old May 26, 2011, 11:33 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
There is a wealth of good information in this thread. Worth your time to go back to the start of the thread and read it.

Not sure I think of a Vela as a kit. It is advertised as ready to sail product. It has a little assembly work, but it's not really a kit.

Enjoy-
Boomer
Old May 27, 2011, 12:17 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
68 Posts
ive been reading a lot on this thread, you are correct about it not being a kit, its a rts. thanks
Old May 27, 2011, 09:13 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Been a while so ..
Would love to see how others are doing with this boat - upgrades, videos, pics, comments etc.

U must excuse me but this is my first rc sail model so having fun with it! I hope someday this boat could be as popular as others similar so we can match race etc..

Anyone been sailing or upgrading?

Me- unfortunately busy working too much - but check in here often.
My ongoing project when time permits is repainting my hull - nice graphics on original but want a unique look that will stand out from other vela's.

I will post some pics if I don't do to bad...lol
winch is offline Find More Posts by winch
Old May 30, 2011, 02:56 AM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
711 Posts
Hey WINCH, i hope you get a chance to let us know how your new VELA turned out.....she looks to be a fun good looking sailboat!....Linda and i have a couple NorthWinds that we really enjoy taking to the many lakes in our neighborhood, and spending time cruizing the shoreline,...but i have been entertaining adding a VELA to our fleet. What are your, and others, impressions of this boat?....Thanks from OREGON
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old May 30, 2011, 07:37 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFASTPHIL View Post
Hey WINCH, i hope you get a chance to let us know how your new VELA turned out.....she looks to be a fun good looking sailboat!....Linda and i have a couple NorthWinds that we really enjoy taking to the many lakes in our neighborhood, and spending time cruizing the shoreline,...but i have been entertaining adding a VELA to our fleet. What are your, and others, impressions of this boat?....Thanks from OREGON
The Vela has eye catching graphics - looks nice on the water - the boat comes with a nice radio and receiver, has a fiberglass hull, and once you make a few minor modifications it makes a nice addition to the fleet.

As I mentioned early on in this thread, I think Aqua Craft has targeted the Seawind market. The Boats are very similar in appearance, almost the same size and cost about the same. Seawinds aren't sold as RTS boats, but by the time you add the electronics to the base price - the boats are pretty close in total cost.

I give the Vela some points for having a fiberglass hull, which to me is a better material than the more typical ABS material used to make the Seawind's hull.
Just a personal preference, but it is stronger, and easier to repair if it should come to that. I think I prefer the rigging on the Seawind. Again, personal preference.

I haven't run the two boats side by side, but suspect the Seawind might be a tad faster. Not sure, be fun to find out.

I don't think you can loose getting either boat. Whatever you get, they are more advanced than your Northwinds.

I posted a few pictures to compare their appearance and design. Both are fashioned after Americas Cup boats, so they are bound to have some similarities.

Enjoy
Boomer
Old May 30, 2011, 08:08 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
711 Posts
Thanks for your reply Boomer. Your right, both boats look great and are probably loads of fun. when reading thru all the posts of this thread, there seem to be a brief discussion about the Vela's waterline position in the water, and it's almost bow high stance....and there's a definate difference between the two bow shapes....As we're coastline cruizers, ease of use is our top priority, so i'll try and go over the Vela's rigging tips again.
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old May 30, 2011, 08:37 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Wow, what a beautiful lake! Nice float plane too! If you are looking for the most trouble free RC sailboat out there, hate to say this on the Vela thread, but, take a look at the Nirvana ll.

It is a shorter at 32" not as fancy or as detailed, but durable, easy to set up, fast and arguably the best overal value in an RC Sailboat. Check out the Nirvanan thread on this forum to get other's opinions.

I have owned three Nirvnana's - and just brought my fourth. Which I plan on keeping for the forseeable future. Truely a fun boat, and can be sailed in a wide range of wind and weather conditions.

I make a few little changes to the graphics and a tweak here and there to the running rigging, but other than that- they don't need any thing.

I posted a picture of my current Nirvana - great boats -

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; May 31, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:07 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winch View Post
Been a while so ..
Would love to see how others are doing with this boat - upgrades, videos, pics, comments etc.
One of our members showed up at the pond this weekend with a Vela and we put the maiden on her....my impression is she looks and sails very nice. But...to have more than one on the pond would be confusing due to the limited graphics/paint options. She also took a lot longer to put together/take down than the Nirvana. Here is a video I put together and the Vela along with some other boats ...

MMBC Sail 5/28/2011 (4 min 45 sec)
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:24 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,459 Posts
Btw...

...Tower has a scratch and dent Vela... no damage (or so it says) for $100.00 off....I almost pulled the trigger on it, but don't need another boat...can't afford it and the Nirvana is our club boat....too many boats...not enough play time as it is....Crash
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:30 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
68 Posts
i saw that one, i was actually watching that one for a bit... but i purchased a brand new one for 40 dollars more instead
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:36 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
68 Posts
nice video crash!
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:49 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
I guess great minds think a like. I called Tower to find out more about the condition of the boat Crash mentioned. The description on the ad we see is not correct according to the customer service rep. I chatted with.

He said his computer showed it having slight damage, not "no damage" and that Scratch and Dent items are sold "as is".

I agree that a $40 premium is well worth it - When I ordered my Vela back when they were first released, it arrived with significant paint issue. Looked someone had tried to do a repair that and they didn't know how. Sent that one back. Tower Hobbies are good folks to trade with.

It is interesting how they choose to apply the graphic to the hull. It makes the boat look like it is jumping out of the water. It is a nice looking boat. Crash is on the money, as usual, in that if you had a lake full of Vela's racing each other, it would be a lot of fun to watch. Lots of NASCAR type "paint swappin" goin on.

Boomer