SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:06 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Won't be me. I am boat poor! I would like to see it to understand if it something I might be put on wish list.

As Larry points out, it is on the high side of reasonable. The thing has nice lines, but ???? As I said, time will tell.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
If and when I get the money I will
connorryder100 is offline Find More Posts by connorryder100
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:28 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,458 Posts
I just saw this at the AQ site and although she is a looker, my main concerns are the big sail and long sail servo arm equating to a lot of stress on the servo in any sort of wind. I seriously doubt she could pull in those sails while running down wind in anything more than 5 knots.

The other thing that bothers me is the same thing with all the RTRs out there that come with the pretty graphics. The boats are all the same and more than one on on the water at a time just looks wrong. It needs an option to come with plain sails and paint so it can be easily modified...or come in a variety of colors....like the Nirvana. You may be able to peel off the decals on the hull, but I doubt you can change the sails.

In the pics she does appear to be as stated, glass hull and carbon fiber/alum mast/booms. She also appears to be a light wind sailer unless a smaller rig is made for her.

I too can't wait to see one on the pond....
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:33 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
That servo arm comes with Futaba Metal gear sail servos, and the specs they provided suggest it is a Futaba with a different label on it. The pictures of the boat under sail look like it can handle the amount of sail it comes with, but HH may be on to something, with regard to just what kind of weather she can handle.

If the boat catches on, and a bunch of folks get them, it could be very interesting to watch them race together. No one would know who's boat was who's. That always makes for an interesting race. I'll bet if Captain Crash gets one it will end up being all black with a scull and cross bones on the sail.

I have seen him sail, and when I watch his racing videos, I am reminded of the movie JAWS, which come to think of it, wouldn't be a bad name for his Nirvana.

I like the boats appearance as I mentioned in my earlier comments, but until I can see one first hand, I am only curious.

Looks like late December is the current plan for release. Who ever gets a in person look see, please post your impressions.

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 14, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:58 PM
Joined Nov 2010
22 Posts
Hey guys this is my first post. I own a TT ETNZ and looking for a new boat.

I found this on the site
Quoted from Aqua craft

"In addition to its powerful rudder servo, the Vela also comes with a very high-quality, high-torque sail winch servo that features ball bearings and durable metal gears. Supplying 153 oz-in (11 kg-cm) torque at 6V, it has the muscle you need to move big sails in any sailing condition."

kinda easies my concerns that its metal gear.
Rock Lockster is offline Find More Posts by Rock Lockster
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:25 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Just a quick note guys...an IOM which is approx the same size and sail area needs at least 300+ in/oz of torque for all wind conditions...

With the above quoted power range you would be OK in light to medium wind range....

B
RG-sailor is offline Find More Posts by RG-sailor
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:52 PM
Joined Nov 2010
22 Posts
i really want the radio sense its digital. Im using a fm right now and i have no end point adjustments. I looked on tower for a radio thats digital and not $250, but the only one i found was the futaba 3gr-fs. I have a 4pks for my xr10 so im trying to hold off spending money on radios
Rock Lockster is offline Find More Posts by Rock Lockster
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:21 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Shopping for radios

Rock Lockster,
If you watch the classified ads on this forum and others like:OSE, & RCUniverse you should be able to find a friendly deal on a 2.4ghz radio and receiver. Do some searches on this site for Radio info. (Pays to be informed before you buy)
HobbyPeople.com just had a holiday sale on many of their items including some nice Airtronics Radio. I have one of their RDS 8000 models which comes with one receiver. It was on sale for $149.95. I think on the 4th of July or one of the other holidays, they had it down to $125 which is very good price for full featured radio.
Just check the classifieds each day, early! For sailing stay with a stick type radio, the pistol grips are not good for sailing.
Deals are out there for those who are patient and keeping looking!!
Good hunting.
Boomer
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:34 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
anyone have updates or reviews of this boat
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:56 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
anyone seen on of these up close? sailing?

reviews?
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:49 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Vela video

For any parties interested in seeing a short video of the "Vela" sailing, check out this link http://aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqu...ela/index.html

I called two of my local hobby shops, and found one that has one of these in stock. The problem is this particular hobby shop won't open the box to show you the product. Ultimate Hobbies in Orange, Ca. if any one is interested. I have met the owner, and must caution any "would be" shopper, that he has the sales acuman of badger. The good things this guy has are decent prices and a pretty good level of inventory.

I am going to make a few more calls to see if I can find a dealer that has one and that understands the selling process. Most people like to know what they are buying.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 16, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:28 AM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
901 Posts
Just ordered one - but live in Minnesota -
jimklein is offline Find More Posts by jimklein
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:09 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Jim
It would be great if when you get it, you could take a few photos to share with us and gin up a review of the boat, at least from a construction and quality stand point. Not sure of it you'll have weather that would permit any testing.
Thanks
Boomer
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:50 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,549 Posts
I'll put an edited version in the "Sticky" thread too.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:57 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
901 Posts
Will do - Tower Hobbies had enough $$ incentives for their club members along with free shipping.
jimklein is offline Find More Posts by jimklein