SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:36 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
Ralph
A rule of thumb is that the lighter the rigging the better. Carbon fiber tubing is quite strong. You can reinforce it by finding a smaller diameter rod or tube that you can slide inside the mast. Slide it in and your mast is now much stronger, with out breaking the bank. To add an adjustable boom vang is very easy to do yourself. Sailsetc makes all the parts to do it, and you can get the parts from them or the other guys you are aware of.

Second the two boats are different and the Vela is not going to respond the same as the ODOM 1 meter. It is a different animal - One of the guys on this thread has put a set of custom sails on his Vela. I'd have to go back to get the details but hey, you can do that too. I strongly recommend sails made for your specific boat over trying use an different boats sails.

If you put too much sail on your boat, the results will be not to your liking.
There are a number of very good sail makers around. I have had good experiences with Dennis at Walrus sails in Arizona. He is a well known racer and is very helpful to his customers.

If you want an aluminum mast can be found at any number of RC sailboat hardware suppliers.

WALRUS SAILS. 8654 EAST WINDROSE DRIVE. SCOTTSDALE, AZ 85260. 480- 227-3754 dddsct@yahoo.com

Have you read all the comments on what all the guys have learned about the Velas? If not there is some good solid research in there.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:18 PM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
131 Posts
Boomer, what you are saying make a lot of senses. I will take your advice and go with the mast and sails that Vela 1 came with. I will do some hardware change out by upgrading the gooseneck, using a one deck mount and 2 single block pully, I will also increase my the voltage operation to 6 volts like JDCrow did. Once I get my Vela 1 together with the above hardware changes and give her a couple of sails. I will try my ODOM mast/sail rig on her and see if it is any improvement.

Thanks for all your help and insight and keeping me straight. Ralph the “Novice Sailor”
ralphhager is offline Find More Posts by ralphhager
Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Ralph,
You will need a lot more Sail Servo than the stock one will provide when you install the ODOM rig. Thats a lot more sail area to control. Not just inhaul, but keeping the sails pulled in on a long reach.
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:12 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphhager View Post
Boomer, what you are saying make a lot of senses. I will take your advice and go with the mast and sails that Vela 1 came with. I will do some hardware change out by upgrading the gooseneck, using a one deck mount and 2 single block pully, I will also increase my the voltage operation to 6 volts like JDCrow did. Once I get my Vela 1 together with the above hardware changes and give her a couple of sails. I will try my ODOM mast/sail rig on her and see if it is any improvement.

Thanks for all your help and insight and keeping me straight. Ralph the “Novice Sailor”
Ralph
We all start out as beginers and all of us are happy to help. I have learned a great deal from my friends on this forum and I continue to learn. It is always a good idea to build a solid foundation before you start making sweeping changes. To many changes at one time can make it difficult to determine what change worked and which one didn't. So, getting a handle on the boat before you start masive changes is the right approach.

JD is right spot on regarding a servo upgrade when you move to larger sails.
Keep in mind larger sails does not assure you of an improvement. You are adding additional weight, changing the CG of the boat, increasing the likely hood of "knock downs". I don't know want will transpire but it will be fun and interesting to find out.

It might be of value to contact Dennis or another knowledgeable sail maker to chat about the changes you are considering, to get their take on what you might expect from the changes.

I know you will be learning along the way and what better way to learn?

Good luck and good sailing
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:37 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
As a resource for suppliers, you can check out the AMYA web site. They post a list of folks who are active in their support of RC racing: http://www.theamya.org/suppliers

Regarding masts for your boat - this link might be of interest:http://www.ludwigrcyachts.com/iom_class_spar.htm

Boomer
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:15 PM
United States, OH, Maple Heights
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Just as a heads up... I think the stock size sails are plenty for the amount of ballast this boats have... I even tried adding ballast (Dont think it was worth the effort for the tiny increase in weight...) that is not to say that a better set same size or even a bit smaller wouldnt help the boat.
transam2k4 is offline Find More Posts by transam2k4
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:34 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Servo Install

Finally got the Hitec (HS-815BB) servo installed today.. Everything seemed to fit ok after a bit of altering here and there.
Definately a WORKHORSE compared to factory version! Should work quite well with the new sails.

Question is ....how fast will it suck the power at 4.8volts?

After doing double haul setup I'm having problems with the jib/main "Y" knot ....as is passes thru the back fittings. Its a big knot and seems to snag even after I installed a larger fitting for it to pass thru. Might have to try some sort of dedicates sheets for both main and jib.
winch is offline Find More Posts by winch
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:53 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winch View Post
Finally got the Hitec (HS-815BB) servo installed today.. Everything seemed to fit ok after a bit of altering here and there.
Definately a WORKHORSE compared to factory version! Should work quite well with the new sails.

Question is ....how fast will it suck the power at 4.8volts?

After doing double haul setup I'm having problems with the jib/main "Y" knot ....as is passes thru the back fittings. Its a big knot and seems to snag even after I installed a larger fitting for it to pass thru. Might have to try some sort of dedicates sheets for both main and jib.
I would run on 6v. If nothing else, battery life.

I removed the factory Y sheet, and my double haul Main/Jib sheets run all the way thru. Not spliced as the factory sheeting.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
jib/main "Y" knot ....as is passes thru the back fittings.
Has anyone tried dedicated main/jib sheets yet? I don't want to attempt if not worth it.
If so I'd look forward to seeing some pics and hear how it worked out.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:02 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
Winch
Your question ...."how fast will it suck the power at 4.8volts?" If you are using the stock battery case that takes 4 AA 1.5V batteries, you have 6volts.

You might be suprised at how long these battteries last. I sail all day on one set of AA batteries. I check them before each outing to see if they have another few hours left on them, and most of the time, they do. I am using a Futaba S3801 sail servo which is in my humble opinion the best sail servo out there. They are out production now, but if you look around you can still find them. This is big beefy servo, and if any servo was going to suck the batteries dry, it'd be this one.

My buddies are always telling me to go to recharables to save money. I ask them, so why do my AAs last longer than thier rechargables? Always happens, so I say, why fix something the isn't broken! It is really a personal preference. If did run them, I'd make sure I could run the boat on 6volts.

Boomer
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:06 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
jib/main "Y" knot ....as is passes thru the back fittings.
Has anyone tried dedicated main/jib sheets yet? I don't want to attempt if not worth it.
If so I'd look forward to seeing some pics and hear how it worked out.
I have and it works fine.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:51 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Winch
Your question ...."how fast will it suck the power at 4.8volts?" If you are using the stock battery case that takes 4 AA 1.5V batteries, you have 6volts.

You might be suprised at how long these battteries last. I sail all day on one set of AA batteries. I check them before each outing to see if they have another few hours left on them, and most of the time, they do. I am using a Futaba S3801 sail servo which is in my humble opinion the best sail servo out there. They are out production now, but if you look around you can still find them. This is big beefy servo, and if any servo was going to suck the batteries dry, it'd be this one.

My buddies are always telling me to go to recharables to save money. I ask them, so why do my AAs last longer than thier rechargables? Always happens, so I say, why fix something the isn't broken! It is really a personal preference. If did run them, I'd make sure I could run the boat on 6volts.

Boomer
Must admit that I never checked the volts on the AA's I bought. - Thought they are all 1.2 Volts.

Learning all the time from guys..

If I need to upgrade in future I will look for 1.5v version - currently have 4 - 1.2v energizer rechargable batteries (2450mah)...
I do like the idea they aren't going to the land fill as much.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:48 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
Quote:
Must admit that I never checked the volts on the AA's I bought. - Thought they are all 1.2 Volts.

Learning all the time from guys..

If I need to upgrade in future I will look for 1.5v version - currently have 4 - 1.2v energizer rechargable batteries (2450mah)...
I do like the idea they aren't going to the land fill as much.
It is very interesting to read the difference in the torque of a servo at 4.8v
vs. 6volts. It may not seem like a lot but the performance improves significantly.

Enjoy.
Boomer
Old May 15, 2011, 03:27 PM
Malta, Victoria
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
Hi all, I have read all there is to read here about the Vela. I like the boat even though i never had a RC sailing boat yet. I am in Malta,so it will be salty mediterrean sea water, hehe, but at least we will have plenty of calm breezy summer days here. Sailing knowlege is ok, as i windsurf and even do local sailing ragattas in big sailing yauths. My consern is that i would like to get the Vela, but a couple of friends of mine are suggesting that i should buy maybe a cheaper boat so that it will be possible and affordable for a larger number of ppl. What do anyone of you suggest regarding what is the best class of rc sailing boat that is neither a toy but on the other hand not a 1mtr. What about the Nirvana 2.? or something similar.? If i get possitive feedback about the Nirvana , we will go for it. Boomer,, i like to hear your views too. I read alot of them here in this discussion. Thanks for your patience for the moment, but because of you all i am surely going to get the Vela in the near future. Meet you here later. Linnet.
linnet is offline Find More Posts by linnet
Old May 15, 2011, 04:34 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrow View Post
I would run on 6v. If nothing else, battery life.

I removed the factory Y sheet, and my double haul Main/Jib sheets run all the way thru. Not spliced as the factory sheeting.
Battery life is in fact less with 5xNiMH that with 4x, However, it does have the advantage of providing more torque and speed, but that comes with increased current consumption. In all events, either should provide ample sailing time, though packing a spare freshly charged battery pack is always worthwhile.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards