HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:19 AM
United States, OH, Maple Heights
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Found Bowsies on ebay and will buy a couple together with a pekabe single block for the sail servo
transam2k4 is offline Find More Posts by transam2k4
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:19 PM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
132 Posts
Winch: On your reply #229 & #250 you had order and receive new VELA Sails from Rod Carr. I am going to order some also. From your reply #229 you had Rod Carr make your sail for 0 to 10 mph wind range, material 1.0 oz mylar called TriSpi-40. This I will do also, but What instruction did you give Rod Carr for your “Mainsail to mast attachment method”? I think the US1M uses “Loop”?

JDCrow: On your reply #221 I like the idea of using Pekabe block, but it seem no one in the US has any in stock. I took Boomer1 advice (from the NIRVANA thread)and order them from http://radiosailingshop.com.au, did that today. Below is what I order and what they charge me:
------------------------------------------------------
1 x KS-2 Kicking Strap with long wire for SAILSetc Gooseneck 3 & 7 (KS-2) = $10.95
2 x DMB-1 Deck Mount Block - Single Pulley (DMB-1) = $33.00
2 x SBS-1 Single Block with Shackle (SBS-1) = $35.60
4 x 52a - Fairlead - PTFE Material (52a) = $10.00
12 x 30-030 Rigging Screw - Single End for IOM/RM/10R etc. (30-030) =$68.40
Sub-Total: $157.95
Australia Post (Insured Air): $24.40
Total: $182.35

Thanks Ralph
ralphhager is offline Find More Posts by ralphhager
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:27 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphhager View Post

JDCrow: On your reply #221 I like the idea of using Pekabe block, but it seem no one in the US has any in stock. Thanks Ralph[/SIZE]

Ralph,
I got mine on eBay. Received in about 5 days. Shipped out of Mass.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

JD
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Vela Sails

Ralph

Original set up as you know are mast hoops, but he (Rodd) recommends that you tie mast loops using the black cord (Spectra kite string) and allowing 1/16" gap between the sail and the mast when the sail is pulled aft as if full of wind.

Have you done any work on changing your hull color yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphhager View Post
Winch: On your reply #229 & #250 you had order and receive new VELA Sails from Rod Carr. I am going to order some also. From your reply #229 you had Rod Carr make your sail for 0 to 10 mph wind range, material 1.0 oz mylar called TriSpi-40. This I will do also, but What instruction did you give Rod Carr for your “Mainsail to mast attachment method”? I think the US1M uses “Loop”?

JDCrow: On your reply #221 I like the idea of using Pekabe block, but it seem no one in the US has any in stock. I took Boomer1 advice (from the NIRVANA thread)and order them from http://radiosailingshop.com.au, did that today. Below is what I order and what they charge me:
1 x KS-2 Kicking Strap with long wire for SAILSetc Gooseneck 3 & 7 (KS-2) = $10.95
2 x DMB-1 Deck Mount Block - Single Pulley (DMB-1) = $33.00
2 x SBS-1 Single Block with Shackle (SBS-1) = $35.60
4 x 52a - Fairlead - PTFE Material (52a) = $10.00
12 x 30-030 Rigging Screw - Single End for IOM/RM/10R etc. (30-030) =$68.40
Sub-Total: $157.95
Australia Post (Insured Air): $24.40
Total: $182.35

Thanks Ralph
winch is offline Find More Posts by winch
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:04 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Actually - I was thinking of using small zip ties instead.. Has anyone else tryed this method for sail attachment to mast?
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:11 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Try dental floss - nothing personal - to tie your sails on with

My concern with wire ties is that they are more rigid than say Spectra fishing line, and could conceivably have a few ruff edges which might cut, tear or in some manner harm the sail material.

I have a friend that uses "dental floss" and it works great!
Just a thought.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:14 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Yes... thought about that...
Just being lazy ....but tying those little knots when your all thumbs like me is tough ...lol.

I've ordered the HS-815BB Servo. Like I've said previously, I'm a bit of a rookie on this stuff. Not really sure what I will get into for install.(its bigger then stock servo). Should eliminate the power problem though. So far I am using the 4.8 v setup.
Need to get some sea trials before seeing if I need to upgrade to 6V
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:08 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
228 Posts
Zip ties are too stiff and look clumsy as well, IMHO.
Dental floss is a good idea, the major decision is, do you use the minted or the plain, the waxed or unwaxed. Do them once in the workshop using tweezers helps a lot and use a drop of her indoors, clear nail varnish to seal the knot. Smells great too.
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Apr 05, 2011, 12:18 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Sail Luft Rings.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB2186
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Apr 05, 2011, 10:56 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
228 Posts
They should actually be LUFF rings but I won`t tell them if you don`t OK.
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:07 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Aren't "Luft" rings used on the port side?
Boomer
Old Apr 12, 2011, 03:21 PM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
132 Posts
I would like to update everyone on my order (see reply #257) to radiosailingshop.com.au. I email my order out 4th of April and received it on the 11th of April by their cheapest delivery system. It was package very nicely and the postage came to $10.05.
JDCrow reply #258 wrote: “I got mine on eBay. Received in about 5 days. Shipped out of Mass. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT”. I check this out, and they were better priced.

I am thinking on buying the “RK1-G A Rig Kit IOM Standard with 11.1 mm Groovy Mast” for US$201.17 for my Vela (http://radiosailingshop.com.au/index...=index&cPath=2). I broke the kit down by the listed P/N, and what their individual price per part was. See attached PDF:

Will also replace the sails like “Winch” did from Rod Carr.

Thanks Ralph
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:26 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Ralph
Just for fun, I would ask what are your expectations from doing the mast upgrade?

If the mast is taller than the original mast, and if you added the correct sails, you can expect your boat to achieve it's maximum speed faster, but it won't go any faster than it's design allows.

I like doing up-grades to my boats, of which, some are for cosmetic refinement, and others are for functionality, such as any modifications that would help my boat achieve it's maximum obtainable top speed. I try not to invest more money that I could reasonably expect to recover when and if I sold the boat.

I have found that some RC sailboats will increase in value to some, when viable modifications/upgrades have been done to them. The size of this particular expenditure, when added to the original purchase price is approaching $600.00 - Since the Vela is a new boat, and the long term success of the Vela is not yet known, it is hard to say, if you'd ever see any recovery from spending an additional $200+ upgrade. Time will tell.

The Vela is very similar to the Seawind, which over the years has become a very popular boat. From comments I have heard by people in the business, it has appears to have reached it's market maturity. They still sell them, but not like they did in it's early years on the market. The point being that used used Seawinds are hard to find, and you will in many cases, have to pay a pretty hefty price for one, if it has been taken care of, and a few upgrades.

The Vela'/Aquacraft added some eye catching graphics to their boat that give it a newer look. Just a thought, but I bet if Kyosho up graded the graphics on the Seawind, they'd improve their sales. They have failed to reinvent that boat over the years.

Just for fun and to add some data to the conversation, I pulled the following information together.

My boat's maximum speed, like other displacement hulls, is limited by the length of hull at the water line. What is the maximum speed of a sailboat? Maximum Speed of a Single-Hull Displacement Boat Hull Speed = 1.34 x the square root of the *LWL

Please note: this is the theoretical maximum speed of a displacement mono hull and does not take into account the following criteria:

1. Hull Design - each hull's contours will effect the laminar flow, that is how smoothly and effortlessly the water flows over it. Every design has a certain co-efficient of drag, and depending on the hull, more or less inherent and induced drag.

2. Displacement - just like with a car, the lighter you make a boat, the faster you can make it go.

3. Sail Area/Displacement Ratio - this is a bit like the power/weight ratio in a car. Since the sails are pushing the boat through the water, the heavier the boat, the larger the sails will have to be in order to take maximum advantage of the hull speed formula. If two vessels have the same hull design and the same sail area, the one with the lower displacement will be the faster vessel.

4. Type of Keel - there are two main types of keels, full and fin. Full means that the keel runs the length of the underside of the hull and fin are just what it sounds like - a fin placed roughly amidships. Depending on the weight and shape of the keel the boat will move faster or slower.

*LWL = length of the hull at the waterline.

Hope this information was at least not sleep inducing.
Boomer
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:59 PM
Norman2
Connestee Falls, Brevard, North Carolina
Joined Mar 2006
392 Posts
Hi Boomer. Most kit boats like the Seawind, ETNZ, China Team etc have a major problem in
the placement of the keel and the mast. The Center of Gravity and Center of Effort were
not taken into consideration when designing these boats. They are still affordable, look
good and can be made to sail well. Regards
Norman2
Norman2 is offline Find More Posts by Norman2
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:03 PM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
132 Posts
Boomer you got me thinking…
First off I was comparing the Vela 1 meter with my ODOM 1 meter mast. The Vela mast is 49” vs. the ODOM mast which measure 56.5”, being both boats are 1 meter in length; I felt that ODOM size would be the better size. One thing that stands out when I compare the two masts is my ODOM mast (which is also carbon type material) is twice the diameter and appears much stronger than the Vela. Plus I sort of like the “11.1 mm alloy Groovy Mast” it will be stronger and easier to attached thing to it. What do you think if I put a US1M sail on her, this is the same size sail that my ODOM takes.

Thanks Ralph