HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:46 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
I think she is already a good one. Points well. Responsive to changes and easy to tune. Nicely balanced and holds course without maintaining rudder input.

I think Ive spent less than $25 on changes I wanted in the boat. $12 of that being a Pekabe block. And doubt most users will even need to change a thing, since 9 out of 10 of them will most likely be playing around with them. The changes I made were more for personal preference, and as expected, one change created need to make another.

I think Rod Carrs Sails will magnify the need for a stronger winch, and Id change out the side stay bowsies with turnbuckles, since the load will most likely be greater than the kit sails.

I think ALL mass produced boats/cars/planes etc, with an easy point of entry (ie $300 RTS), have shortcomings when one desires ultimate performance. Plus I suspect they anticipated the boats being sailed in winds less than 6 mph most of the time.
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Last edited by JDCrow; Mar 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:55 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,585 Posts
Sunday sailing

Nice day for sailing. Winds 6 to 10 with gust higher at times. Water finally got a little rough but a good day. Jpatters came up from Hot Springs with a beautiful T50 and a Nirvana to sail. T50 looked great, big and Fast. Vela and China Team doing good for most of the day. China Teams winch servo finally cut out again. I think is was water on the servo stretcher.

Stringfly <>++++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:09 PM
United States, OH, Maple Heights
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Ok so decided to add a bit of ballast and see how it goes... filled the thing up with 7 size shot of lead and couldnt get to much more so I decided to fill her up even more and glue together the two halfs of the buld then bondo a bit to make it smooth and painted it... havent sailed yet. The stock ballast is 3lbs by its self My is right at 4.1 lbs including keel... can anyone weight ballast plus keel stock?

Had the same issue as above but at the clew of the main. The outhaul broke the clue reinforcement... nothing ductape cant fix until I get new sails made. If I sail tomorrow will post pictures.

I did like the new servo. It is a standard size that puts out 250 or so lbs /in at 4.8v and 350 lbs/in at 6V. I liked it a lot.

JD what turnbuckles will you be using? When I upgrade sails plus HD servo plus extra ballast I will be putting a lot more force through those bowsies...
transam2k4 is online now Find More Posts by transam2k4
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:21 AM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
A little new to all this so a few questions...Will these new servos simply plug into the exiting Tactics system or do you need more?
I have never had experience replacing a servo.

Trans... you mentioned you needed to do some modifications for the servo install ... Can you detail a bit more?
Would also like to hear more on how you added ballast.
winch is offline Find More Posts by winch
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:39 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
For the servo install I had to basically change a wooden plate that the radio tray have. I went with a standard size servo which is actually smaller than the stock servo so just did nothing that was the size of the servo and would have surface to hold on to the tray.

For adding ballast I opened the ballast pod that attaches to the keel to the ballast and removed the cast iron ballast and filled it with lead shots that I bought of ebay. It was very hard to get more weight than stock so I just added a bit more that what would let me fully enclose the ballast pod and epoxy everything together then added bondo to smooth out the surfaces and the primed and painted. Right now my keel and Ballast cant be separated anymore... which I never did before anyway...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
here are some pictures of my servo install and keel....

And yes I used a T-mobile SIM card card (the card that the sim card is attached to when it is sold to you...) to install my servo and has worked great so far...
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Thx Trans - I will definately upgrade the servo now. Did you do the double haul setup like JD or do you have original setup?

Good job on the keel by the way...Let us know how she sails after more sea trials...
Old Mar 25, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Also - got my sails today!!
Hopefully I get time over weekend to at least attach.
If I can figure out ...I will post some pics...
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:21 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
winch I would love to see your sails and maybe some more information on them. Yes I have a double haul setup and the 90 degrees (plus a bit from trim) is enough to haul the sail in all the way with the double haul setup.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:14 AM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Got the new sails hung just for some pics ... obviously a lot of rigging to do yet.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:25 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Nice sails winch. Let us now how they sail.

Attached some pictures of todays sail. The boat was cooking when it was blowing harder (8-10 knts). Low wind performance suffered a bit but it speed the boat significantly on higher wind speeds. Overall very happy. Look at some of the pictures during reaches...
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:33 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Wow ...nice pics... trans!!
Definitely cooking along in some of those photos...What a perfect area you seem to have to sail in as well!!

Does it seem a little less tender since adding the xtra weight?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
not much more but it is manageable. I did noticed a speed increase... maybe the heel decrease was enough to increase speed when blowing above 10knts... Even when the boat was heeling very bad it still moved good and when tuned for the right windspeed it will go straight!!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:37 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
219 Posts
Transam, your boat looks really good. Just a small thing that may help you to get the best from it. This is a post I did from a couple of years ago regarding a leech line. Best wishes, Ian.

The following post is from some time ago on this forum.
If you do a search for "Tuning " you should get a lot to read.

This is my version of the road to instant speed.

If you should fit a "Jib Leech Line" then you will have far better control over the twist of the jib than any other method for very little effort or expense.

Set up your sails as normal with a tight forestay and enough backstay tension to give you the shape you require in the main.
With your sails in the "Fully In " position, proceed as follows.
Make sure you have sufficient "slot" between the main and jib angles with the main boom approx 5 degrees off centre and the jib boom 15 degrees off the centre line.
The jib should have plenty of curvature in the shape along the boom, perhaps more than you would think initially, ( suck it and see.)
The jib leech line is a thin string line running from the aft end of the jib boom up to the jib attachment point on the front of the mast.
It should be length adjustable with a small bowsie.
By shortening the length it is possible to vary the amount of twist in the jib to match the twist in the main.
This is in my opinion one of the most important factors in the tuning of model yacht sails.
The jib leech line has the best cost / benefit ratio of any small modification to assist your sailing
Finally time on the water, tuning, changing one thing at a time, seeing and feeling the differences, is the only way you will get better and enjoy this sport more.
Then once you feel confident and fast, you will be looking for some one or something to race.
That`s it, sorry mate, your hooked, join the rest of us nutters.
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:27 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
I actually had read about the jib leech but haven't done it because I dont have a bowsie available to me... might just have to guy one online... Was also thinking using a bowsie to help hold the boomvang size already had it come loose once...