SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:03 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3 Posts
hi all
what is the best or easy way to remove the graphics.
pete
pandj888 is offline Find More Posts by pandj888
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:00 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
graphics......

Different boat !

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:19 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandj888 View Post
hi all
what is the best or easy way to remove the graphics.
pete
Pete
I suggest placing a call to AquaCraft to seek their advise. The hull is fiberglass which has good chemical resistance, but the hull has been painted and I don't know what kind of paint has been used. There are a number of household chemicals that might help you remove the decals, with little or no chance of harming the finish.

Goof Off is one, some of the orange based adhesive removers might work. Using a hair dryer good help soften the adhesive that holds the decals on.

Hot water can work some times. Do a Google search on removing decals. I am sure there will be a lot suggestions for you.

There is always sand paper and new paint. Last resort.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:07 AM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
graphics......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Pete
I suggest placing a call to AquaCraft to seek their advise. The hull is fiberglass which has good chemical resistance, but the hull has been painted and I don't know what kind of paint has been used. There are a number of household chemicals that might with little or no chance of harming the finish.
Goof Off is one, some of the orange based adhesive removers might work.
Using a hair dryer good help soften the adhesive that holds the decals on.

Hot water can work some times. Do a Google search on removing decals.
I am sure there will be a lot suggestions for you.

There is always sand paper and new paint. Last resort.

Boomer
Must be nuts... but was thinking of doing the same myself . (Just to add a more unique touch to my model..)

Fortunately I know someone in fiberglass and gelcoat repair on big boats that can airbrush any colour I want to change to.
Since it is made out of fiberglass.. wet sandpaper starting at 800 grit then moving up to 1200 or higher should do the trick.

Thinking of a royal blue hull ...

I also have mailed my sails to Rod Carr so he should have template for all future orders.
winch is offline Find More Posts by winch
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:47 PM
ralph
Antelope, CA 95843
Joined May 2004
132 Posts
winch: Could you explain wet sandpaper or “What is Wet Sandpaper”?
Thanks Ralph
ralphhager is offline Find More Posts by ralphhager
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:24 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
It is sandpaper that is wet. Seriously there are types of sandpaper that are designed to be wetted, as you sand. Generally, the sanding surface is blackish and is in the finer of the grits.

Used to get the smoothest finish possible, also used in color sanding, again the sandpaper is dipped in water regularly. With the proper grit you avoid scaring.

Boomer
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:08 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Thanks Boomer, You explained as well as I could. Most hardware stores have wet sandpaper and can explain how to use.
My new sails are on route to me ...still maybe a bit till I get out on water though..
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:31 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3 Posts
thanks boomer and all for the input. i will wet sand the decals off and repaint. it would be interesting seeing more then two boat on water sailing with the same graphics.
pandj888 is offline Find More Posts by pandj888
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:17 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Don't start sanding until all the other options have been tried

Wet sanding would be your last choice. The hair dryer should be your first approach, then the Orange based adhesive removers.

I can't image that you'd have to sand off those decals. There are many more easier ways and less intrusive to the process. Your guy will have to sand the hull before he paints it, but very lightly to prep it for the new paint.

It is always nice to see custom work done on boats that personalize them. The Vela is a good looking boat the way it comes, but it has been noted that the water line is not correctly placed. There are several ways to determine the actual water line. One method is the most obvious and requires you to put the boat in the water fully set up, so it is the weight it will be when you are using it. If it is lighter or heavier the waterline will be different. That is pretty obvious, sorry.

You then have to mark the hull, and take measurements to insure you get the actual water line. That being said, you may not want a water line stripe.
All that is up to you and your painter.

Food for thought
Boomer
Old Mar 16, 2011, 05:05 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,357 Posts
Use talc or baby powder. Sprinkle on surface of water. Set boat into middle of the powder carefully. Lift from water and talc/powder will stick and show waterline. Use a marker and mark bow, stern and midships waterline on both sides. Then tape and paint - or apply pinstripe tape.

Be sure your weight is centered inside (batteries) so you have symmetrical waterlines on each side.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:39 PM
United States, OH, Maple Heights
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Dick I like your talc Idea!! I remember when I co-oped in a yachts company I had to jump into the water to mark water line with a wax pencil... (it was pretty cold water too)
transam2k4 is offline Find More Posts by transam2k4
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Sep 2007
11 Posts
Winch

Could you post a pic of your vela with the new sails?
304cz is offline Find More Posts by 304cz
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:50 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304cz View Post
Winch

Could you post a pic of your vela with the new sails?
Still waiting for them but should be here soon - I will try and get some "on the hard" pictures posted then. (might be a wait to get out on water though..)
They are for a 0 - 10 mph wind range - 1.0 oz mylar called TriSpi 40.
Also want to upgrade the rigging.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:09 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Sailed Vela today on 6volts. 8-11 mph wind.

She would inhaul the sails, but nothing like I anticipated. In fact, I think the steering servo wasnt too happy after being powered on 6v for a while. I just dont believe the servos are up to the task for performance sailing. They are adequate for daysailing, yet ultimately I'll upgrade them.

I did make a change to the sheet rollers. I removed them, and replaced them with a piece of antenna tubing. This solved my fouling issue I was having.

I did have one failure today. The sheet that goes thru the Tack of the Main ripped thru the sail (no eyelets, just holes punched, in the kit sails). I used the second hole, and had it tear thru it as well. Going to add a patch, then add eyelets.
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Last edited by JDCrow; Mar 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
JD -
Think this boat can be a good one but seems like a lot of small probs...
Since its compared to the Seawind a bit....Do you know if the was same way when it came out ?
Guess its back to topic of which servo is best fit.
I'll be waiting for peoples suggestions .......