B
RG-sailor is offline Find More Posts by RG-sailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Hey Transam...

Great pics...

I was looking over your pics and it seems you are sheeting in too tight on the jib. You should have an approx 15deg offset between the main and jib when sheeting all the way in. This will reduce heeling moment and allow for more speed.

Try it, I think you will be happy with the results....

Brian
RG-sailor is offline Find More Posts by RG-sailor
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:03 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG-sailor View Post
J.D. I can help with that....

B
I know you can. Let me work on my budget, unless you have a few try/report/return sets you need feedback on right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG-sailor View Post
Hey Transam...

Great pics...

I was looking over your pics and it seems you are sheeting in too tight on the jib. You should have an approx 15deg offset between the main and jib when sheeting all the way in. This will reduce heeling moment and allow for more speed.

Try it, I think you will be happy with the results....

Brian
I was thinking the same thing. Very little slot at all.

Transom - I usually start my jib rigged to max inhaul target the outer side stay point. This measures approx 15 degrees. Adjust it so it points at the inner sidestay and you would measure at 10 degrees. A quick reference point when setting your sail sheeting.

My main set out obout 3-8 degrees max inhaul.

If you want a little more precision, Next time your in your neighborhood hardward/building supply, pick up a "TrueAngle" to put in your toolbox. Comes in handy from time to time. You can also use it to check your mast angles in relation to the deck. Actually, I may have got mine at the drafting supply department at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

Although for checking my mast, I happened to have a RC Car Camber Gauge made by RPM that worked out fine for that. Available at most hobby shops that cater to racing vehicles. Available in a couple of sizes and colors. It can be set to angles -10 to 10 and fixed to the angle with a thumb screw. Has a flat base. Easy to use when tensioning standing rigging.

JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Last edited by JDCrow; Feb 10, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:20 PM
United States, OH, Maple Heights
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
And Videos as promised...
Aquacraft Vela One Maiden Voyage II (9 min 7 sec)

Aquacraft Vela One Maiden Voyage I (1 min 47 sec)
transam2k4 is offline Find More Posts by transam2k4
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Thanks for the tuning tips... I also seem to need more boom vang to reduce twist in the upper section of the main sail. I did change the jib around a bit but it is good to know what to aim for as far as angles.

BTW on the videos I was trying to sail with one hand and hold the camera with the other...
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:51 PM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by transam2k4 View Post
Thanks for the tuning tips... I also seem to need more boom vang to reduce twist in the upper section of the main sail. I did change the jib around a bit but it is good to know what to aim for as far as angles.

BTW on the videos I was trying to sail with one hand and hold the camera with the other...
I would recommend more twist in the main rather than less.

Rich
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
how do I determine how much twist is required? Also how about the rake angle? I need to get myself one of those angle finders...
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:27 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Nice pictures transam.. Nice skyline.

Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:28 PM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by transam2k4 View Post
how do I determine how much twist is required? Also how about the rake angle? I need to get myself one of those angle finders...
I wouldn't worry so much about what the angles are as much as making the boat sail smoothly. I found several good tuning guides on the internet that deal with setting up basic settings. Here is one that has some good information on the library tab: http://www.myrc.org/ Once you have a starting point then it is just a matter of fine tuning by sailing the boat and learning what makes a difference. Ideally, if you have another similar boat to sail against to allow you to compare performance it makes it easier.

Rich
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Last edited by rsgault; Feb 11, 2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Correction
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:03 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
I was looking at possible upgrade for the servo and liked the Hitec 815 but noticed it is way bigger than original servo so right now i'm exploring other options... comments or advice on this?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:32 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Found this servo and from a site sponsor...
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9039
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
700 Posts
I'd assume the sail servo that came with the boat is designed to rotate more than 90degrees. From the link, I don't see a rotation spec for the Hobby King servo. It says it's digital, but doesn't say if/how it can be programmed beyond 90degree rotation.

I've been using programmable Hitec digital servos for my sail servos. They are somewhat pricey, but are small, light and have lots of torque. Of course you have to buy their programmer to get them to rotate enough so they have adequate travel.
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:33 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
906 Posts
Warning

Watch out for these Hobby King people. I have been waiting eight plus days for my order to ship for a Phantom boat which looks fast and comparable to the Vela. Hoping to have a low cost boat to sail in the IOM class here. Gonna put an "A" rig on it with Carr sails. Ryan
Rssailor is online now Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:50 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Watch out for these Hobby King people. I have been waiting eight plus days for my order to ship for a Phantom boat which looks fast and comparable to the Vela. Hoping to have a low cost boat to sail in the IOM class here. Gonna put an "A" rig on it with Carr sails. Ryan
The IOM class is very restrictive on specs and you'll probably find most 1 metre kit boats don't conform to its rules for hull materials, ballast weight etc. The only kit boat made to conform as far as I know is the Robbe Windstar., and only then in its version with non-pigmented hull. http://www.onemetre.net/OtherTopics/IOMclass/IOM.htm has a summary.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:51 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Couple of thoughts on the Phantom

Rssailor,
I have a couple of buddies that have Phantoms, and with the modifications they have made to them, they both sail quite well.

I trust you have read the threads on these boats and are aware of their inherent flaws. If you have not, it would be worth the time to take a few minutes to review some of them. I have owned one of KHs Monsoon, and can say that once I made some much needed repairs/upgrades the boat provided years of problem free sailing fun.

I can share with you that putting a set of good sails on a Phantom, you will discover several things about these boats unless you have corrected at two of the main problems they come with. The mast is not strong enough for the sails you are planning to use. The mast is joined by a piece of plastic that
fits in the center of the two pieces, which two tiny sheet metal screws are asked to hold that this mess together. The other is the keel, it is poorly fit and will require your attention. Both are easily fixed or replaced.

One of my friends tried to fix his by making a frame around the keel opening in the hull, didn't work. The other friend, an engineer, looked at his and quickly concluded he'd address the problem by using epoxy to provide a permanent solution. This solution, admittedly makes transport more difficult, but it worked. The other friend soon followed and use epoxy to secure the keel issue.

This link will take you to a thread that shows a Phantom that has had Seawind rigging (mast, booms etc.) installed on it with custom sails.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=phantom

I hope you enjoy your new boat. Martin knows his stuff, and is spot on. A IOM it is not, but it will be a fun boat.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 12, 2011 at 02:00 PM.