HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2011, 04:11 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
There are plenty of consumer NiMH AA cells rated at 2,500mAh that are quite capable of handling the current draw of a large servo
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2011, 06:31 PM
United States, OH, Maple Heights
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
So has anyone considered ballast change? I did noticed too much heal for not much wind. And yes I ment Boom Vang so in short I used the B from Boom and the rest from Vang (not really, I just didnt realized it was spelled with a V...)
transam2k4 is offline Find More Posts by transam2k4
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:34 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
What is the over all weight and ballast weight. The IOM class, which is the same size and approx sail area weigh almost 9 lbs. With 5 in the bulb....

Brian
RG-sailor is offline Find More Posts by RG-sailor
Old Feb 08, 2011, 09:12 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
690 Posts
If this thing is as light as Aquacraft claims (6lbs) I'd imagine much of that light weight came at the expense of the keel bulb. Anyone know what the bulb is made from?
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Feb 08, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
somewhere I saw 5.5 lbs (2.5KG) for overall weight and about 3.7 lbs (1.3KG) for bulb... fund this site: http://calicobasin.us/ballasts/ dont know if that stuff will fit our boats...
Old Feb 09, 2011, 05:59 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
JD -

I ran one on my 1 meter multihull and it had plenty of power to haul in about 1100 sq. inches of sail area. I used a "Y" Adapter with 4 cell NiCads (700 mAh I think) and I could get about 3-4 hours sailing time depending on wind conditions. Using 4 volts was a concern at first, but never needed to increase, and the arm is extremely fast.......one problem when trying to get small, incremental sheet adjustments. It's a workhorse - and big and heavy. But unless space requires a drum, I would use these all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
I bought some NiMH 2500 mAh "AA" batteries for my digital camera, and it seems like I am always running a set on my charger. I hate them because there is no warning - one minute you have flash, the next photo everything is "dead". At least with NiCads, you coud see the flash recharge get slower and slower - so it was sort of a "warning" system.

I am thinking of trying a set of LiFe and haven't seen much negative comment on those. Not sure if they require a special charger - so there is more added expense in changing battery chemistry from one to another. God love the U.S. EPA and their edicts ! Probably continue to use Alkeline for most of the small stuff and I found you can "bang" them for a short recharge if careful and monitor them.
Thanks guys for the input. Ive had my eyes on that Hitec Sail Servo since I began researching these boats.

LiFe will require a LiFe compatible charger. For the larger LiFe batteries we were trying to use in cars, they were 3.3v per cell Vs 3.7v per cell on LiPo. As with both chemistries, we experience dramatic C rating and performance improvements power (punch), size, and capacity with each release. LiFe touts the set it, forget it, maybe abuse it and not worry about a LiFire. LiPo requires/often demands undivided attention, or it can become enraged from separation anxiety.

I have a 7.2v 2s1p 1500 mAh Orion LiPo Receiver pack thats about the same size as a 4 AA battery holder. It requires use of a voltage regulator. The one I have is the Orion LiPo voltage regulator that can be adjusted on .2 volt steps from 5.2 to 7volts.

I tend to just carry my Expert V-300 Voltmeter with me these days (switchable from 4.8 to 6v) It puts a 300 mAh load and displays the power level in a %. On the back it has a conversion charge to give you the voltage level if you want to know. ie 30% on the 4.8v estimates 4.49v (100% = 5.17v). Just plug the battery lead in and let it do its magic.

Its great to check my Energizer Lithium AA's pack (rated 1.5v per cell) at some point. These batteries have lasted me more than a season of car racing in my transmitters. I picked up a couple hundred of them a few years ago for a song.
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Last edited by JDCrow; Feb 09, 2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Just did the geometry change in my rigging and worked great!! will try and head to a pond early tomorrow before work... If i can wake up...
Old Feb 09, 2011, 08:30 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
My xmas present was Vela!!

Hi,
Still in the box but ...have been reading (and trying to learn) alot from all your posts... you guys are hardcore!!!

My concern (from watching videos etc) is that it does seem to be a little tender/ light as well ....
ballast or sails??
Based on what i've read ...primary upgrades I'd like to do would be batteries and sails...

Can anyone recommend a battery/ charger system that would work for this model...
I don't want to buy eveready all the time....

Being in Canada - now it's winter - so unfortunately have not had opportunity to rig or sail yet here ... waiting for warmer temps...

Any comment would be appreciated..
winch is offline Find More Posts by winch
Old Feb 09, 2011, 10:25 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
String is a big fan of Eneloop's. 2000mAh rechargeable

http://www.google.com/products/catal...&ved=0CBUQ8gI#
Last edited by JDCrow; Feb 09, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:10 AM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Went out sailing this morning. Had a blast. Almost no water intrussion. Sail trims to full range of extension. Could really use more ballast weight and more powerfull sail servo. Conditions got to be 10 mph of wind or so. Temp about 80F. Need to tune better sinced I noticed an aweful lot of twist on both sails so will need to figure that out. I did notice the boat would submarine. Also had great speed. When it was blowing about 10 mph it would heal about 45deg. I have a video I will post on youtbe before the end of today.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:13 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
There seems, from pics of the boat in action, some margin for a heavier bulb to get her sitting on the proper waterline. That might be a better start than panelled sails,
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:22 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG-sailor View Post
What is the over all weight and ballast weight.
Brian
Brian,
Keel and Bulb weighed 3.2 lbs using my unscientific method (me/keel/bulb on scale - me on scale = keel/bulb weight)

Boat rigged and ready to sail was 6.6 lbs using the same method.

Vela apprx 49% of the overall weight in the bulb Vs approx 55% of your IOM
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:50 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Not bad...what is the keel made from ? Is it flexible? If you fold the boat on its side how much deflection is there in the keel from straight?

Also, this design of boat will have some initial heel and then get to a point and actually gain stability. So basically heel quickly and then stay there. It is also narrow so that makes for a tender boat.

Brian
RG-sailor is offline Find More Posts by RG-sailor
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:01 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG-sailor View Post
Not bad...what is the keel made from ? Is it flexible? If you fold the boat on its side how much deflection is there in the keel from straight?

Also, this design of boat will have some initial heel and then get to a point and actually gain stability. So basically heel quickly and then stay there. It is also narrow so that makes for a tender boat.

Brian
Composite of some sort. About 380 mm length bottom of hull to bottom of bulb There is some deflection. About 5mm when laying her on her side and gently lifting midline of keel until the bulb moves.

She does heel over calmly but quick, and holds course well. I found out on the first outing when the receiver got wet and shut down on a close hauled weather leg. She never altered course.

If she only had a new set of A and B Panel Suits to test.
Last edited by JDCrow; Feb 10, 2011 at 04:08 PM.