SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:28 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,170 Posts
Vid of the "regatta"..................good time.

Vela sailboat (2 min 5 sec)
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:31 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Thanks for recording the performance, editing, and posting the video of our sailing Scorp1.

Helps me see how the changes improve or hamper the boat. As well as letting others see how well she responds compared to other boats

Now we need Scorps own black pearl.
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:45 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Black Pearl

Here's his...........

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Feb 07, 2011, 08:06 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,170 Posts
Now thats a boat!!!
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:24 AM
United States, OH, Maple Heights
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
So bit the bullet got one and arrived yesterday....

Very Impressed with the boat over all. Very easy to assemble. Did noticed that I have the same rigging issue discussed on this thread before. Also somewhere before some body mention the boat being too stern down and I did notice that even with the bow up like it looks in the picture the stern is just out of the water. I think the bow up would be good to keep the boat from submarining like the seawind is known to do.

Did you guys glue the spreader to the mast? What about the two mast pieces?

I just tried mine this morning on the pool (very small for this boat but had to go work...) Didnt take in any water! So i'm super happy with that. Love the ability of the boat to move on very little wind but might need to upgrade ballast for heavier winds or downgrade sails...

I will be changing the sheeting geometry to what was mention here before to get full adjustment.Also need to play with tunning which I dont have much experience so any suggestions are appreciated (like rake, bang, outhaul and how much the jib has to go in compared to main...)

Thanks Guys for all the previous information and I am glad I went with this boat.
transam2k4 is offline Find More Posts by transam2k4
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:40 AM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by transam2k4 View Post
Did you guys glue the spreader to the mast? What about the two mast pieces?

I just tried mine this morning on the pool (very small for this boat but had to go work...) Didnt take in any water!
You dont need to glue the spreaders. Once rigged on the hull, the side stays keep them in place.

I have not glued my mast together. Have thought about it since I typically transport the sails already rigged out, but have not done so.

I believe my water intrusion was coming from the keel. The gelcoat around the mast bolt hole is missing, exposing raw fiberglass. Some good marine grease has stopped water from coming in now.

Look forward to hearing about your experience with the Vela. We should have mid 50's and winds 8-10 on Sunday. More testing on tap.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:49 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Bang

"I will be changing the sheeting geometry to what was mention here before to get full adjustment.Also need to play with tunning which I dont have much experience so any suggestions are appreciated (like rake, bang, outhaul and how much the jib has to go in compared to main...)"

What's bang ?????

Stringfly <>++++
Old Feb 08, 2011, 09:11 AM
Norman2
Connestee Falls, Brevard, North Carolina
Joined Mar 2006
392 Posts
Hi Stringfly. He means Vang (Boom Vang) not bang. Regards
Norman2
Norman2 is offline Find More Posts by Norman2
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:05 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
String
"Bang" is what you get when you are "gybing" in heavy winds without first pulling in your sails!

Boomer

(Jibing or gybing either works)
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:51 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Anyone tried or know someone who has used the Hitec HS815BB sail servo?

Spec documents make it out to be a mAH hog. Recommendation is 6volts and minimum 1200 mAH.

Just curious how much mAH it consumes per half hour of normal sailing or racing would like to know what users are actually seeing in their boats
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:08 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrow View Post

Spec documents make it out to be a mAH hog. Recommendation is 6volts and minimum 1200 mAH.

Just curious how much mAH it consumes per half hour of normal sailing or racing would like to know what users are actually seeing in their boats
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030109
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:57 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
ok on the bang... yes ,know the boom vang and if you gyb in hard winds and sheets are slack the booms or clubs will BANG you in the head ???? Is that right ?

Stringfly <>++++
Old Feb 08, 2011, 02:49 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrow View Post

JD -

I ran one on my 1 meter multihull and it had plenty of power to haul in about 1100 sq. inches of sail area. I used a "Y" Adapter with 4 cell NiCads (700 mAh I think) and I could get about 3-4 hours sailing time depending on wind conditions. Using 4 volts was a concern at first, but never needed to increase, and the arm is extremely fast.......one problem when trying to get small, incremental sheet adjustments. It's a workhorse - and big and heavy. But unless space requires a drum, I would use these all the time.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:41 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
5 cell pack.

I was thinking of one of these. Pretty good capacity and 6 volt if you really need it. They have other 5 cell hump packs depending on what will fit. these are 2/3A size cells.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMUG9&P=7

Most AA cells just don't have that much capacity. My enelops say 1900 to 2000 mah but I don't really believe it.

Stringfly <>++++
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Feb 08, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 04:04 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,263 Posts
I bought some NiMH 2500 mAh "AA" batteries for my digital camera, and it seems like I am always running a set on my charger. I hate them because there is no warning - one minute you have flash, the next photo everything is "dead". At least with NiCads, you coud see the flash recharge get slower and slower - so it was sort of a "warning" system.

I am thinking of trying a set of LiFe and haven't seen much negative comment on those. Not sure if they require a special charger - so there is more added expense in changing battery chemistry from one to another. God love the U.S. EPA and their edicts ! Probably continue to use Alkeline for most of the small stuff and I found you can "bang" them for a short recharge if careful and monitor them.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.