HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:29 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,013 Posts
Build Log
SAPAC T-45 Hawk 100mm Build Log

Well, I have been wanting a large hawk for quite some time. I found a great deal here on RCG for a NIB SAPAC 100mm Hawk and couldn't pass it. I found very limited information about it, and really only two videos of it flying. But...I figured, what the heck.

SEFF 2010 - Noon Demos, SAPAC America (4 min 37 sec)

I was looking at Hawks like the JTM and Schubeler, but the lead times to get one was a little more than my patience would allow. After spending a crazy amount of time chasing down vendors, this was a fresh change to just have it shipped right away. (Yes...I have limited patience for shipping...I'm working on that)

After taking it out of the box, it is a pretty nicely put together plane. It is a composite body and built-up wings and surfaces. I would prefer to have a full composite model, but if this one goes well...I might uprade. I have been watching some of the other good builders and waiting for flight reports.

The gear being put into this is a Tam Jets TJ100 HD (Neu1515-3D CC110HV),JR 9 Channel 2.4, Hitech Digitals all around (HS5085MG Ailerons,HS225MG Flaps,HS5645MG Elevator, HS5245MG Rudder, HS5085mg Steering, HS-65mg for air & brakes. My original plan was to go with the eFlite 60-120 sized electric retracts but they are too tall and won't fit. The next size down might be doable, but I think the weight will be over what they are rated for. So I'm going with the standard Tam Mini-retracts and trailing link struts.

I really want to keep this one light, so I will start with a 10S setup to dial it in, then upgrade to 12S eventually.

As you can see, I have already made good progress with the control surfaces. So far everything has gone pretty smooth. One complaint is that they are using CA hinges. I had some better pin hinges sitting around that I used instead.

The hardware set is pretty good and useable. I haven't found anything I really need to replace/upgrade. I'm currently waiting for Tam's retracts and struts and should be able to finish up in couple of days.

So one day into building my impressions so far:

Pros:
Nice looking plane, bigger than expected
Lots of room to work inside
Everything shipped securely
Recommended servos all fit perfectly.
Lots of formers and trays that you can assemble how you want.

Cons:
Can't accomdate the large eFlite electric retracts
CA Hinges....argh.
Built-up wing and surfaces...would love to have seen a full composite plane for the same price.
The build manual really does lack in many areas. But in their defense, you shouldn't be buying or flying a plane this size unless you have some building skills. This might make a good project for someone with a couple of 70mm builds or another 90mm build done.
No cockpit. Apparently ProEDF has one that is pretty close and with some skills could be adapted. I left several messages for them to ship one...but you guessed it...no response.
The ducting where the fan attaches has a big hole right in the middle where the hub normally goes. I have also noticed some really big air scoops on the top behind the cockpit. I'm not sure if this is done because the air intakes are too small or what.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Last edited by sbritton; Nov 03, 2010 at 11:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:33 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,224 Posts
Nice review Shawn,
The elevator setup looks nice and beefy... Looks like a nice plane.

The scoops behind the cockpit are scale... they just made them over size.
They work great for planes with the ESC outside the thrust tube for extra cooling.
They are on my Jet Legend Hawk also, I'll use them to cool my ESC.
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:53 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,013 Posts
Thanks Ron. The elevator has a really nice setup...should be really sturdy. Can't wait to see your hawk...have you started to build it yet?

I will likely just make my own cockpit from depron.

If I can get some gear from Tam this week I should be able to make Lodi (assuming the weather holds out)
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:03 PM
tampa
Joined Nov 2010
1 Posts
Any more info on your build. I am picking one up next week
eperform is offline Find More Posts by eperform
Old Nov 02, 2010, 11:20 PM
Oneonta Alabama
Joined Aug 2010
898 Posts
Heres my JTM next to a 70mm sapac.delivery was 5 days.I got lucky they had one at the factory.
keith b is offline Find More Posts by keith b
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:32 AM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,013 Posts
Well...been busy dealing with a broken wrist so haven't had a lot of time to build. But I have managed to get the plane basically ready. I'm waiting for some retracts that should show up tomorrow.

My hope is to get it done for a trip down to Lodi on Saturday...but don't think it will be ready to fly.

Most of the time I have been busy trying to make a decent cockpit. ProEDF apparently has one that would fit, but they wouldn't respond to my emails.

I ended up doing some design work, and printing some templates on some thin plastic sheets that you get from the Hobby story (assume they are used for model train buildings).

It is looking pretty good, need some seats and pilots. I wanted the front seat to extend into the front part of the canopy, but was running into design issues, so kinda cheated by making everything a little smaller.

If someone has ideas on where to get appropriate sized pilots would appreciate the input.

I'm also looking for the right sized LED ring so I can make an afterburner look. Most are too big or too small...I might have to revert to making my own.

Anyways, pretty happy with the plane so far...everything has been as expected.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:39 AM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,013 Posts
For those that are interested, here are the design pieces for the cockpit.

I had to mess around with the scale a bit when printing to get the desired size...but pretty easy to do.

I just used pieces of other cockpits to make something that looks interesting. I'm pretty sure the Hawks don't have full glass cockpits.

If you want the original files, just PM me.
Last edited by sbritton; Nov 03, 2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 01:00 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,224 Posts
great work on the cockpit bud! she is looking good
I can't make Lodi we are in the process of moving so I'm going to miss out on the fun. Would have liked to check it out

later
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Nov 03, 2010, 01:16 AM
Oneonta Alabama
Joined Aug 2010
898 Posts
Looks very nice!
keith b is offline Find More Posts by keith b
Old Nov 03, 2010, 01:19 AM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
great work on the cockpit bud! she is looking good
I can't make Lodi we are in the process of moving so I'm going to miss out on the fun. Would have liked to check it out

later
Ron
Thanks...sorry to hear about Lodi...but I totally understand the whole moving thing. On the good side I might have a chance to win the best sport plane award with you keeping the Spark at home.

Sh*t...I forgot Tam is showing up...so much for that...that guy always has good looking planes. Oh well....
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:48 AM
Joined Aug 2006
64 Posts
Looks good I will be picking mine up this weekend from Sapac and will be doing a full build thread on it. Cant wait to have her ready to fly at the Ocala EDF event in December.

Jose
rcjets12 is offline Find More Posts by rcjets12
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:50 AM
Sapac Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjets12 View Post
Looks good I will be picking mine up this weekend from Sapac and will be doing a full build thread on it. Cant wait to have her ready to fly at the Ocala EDF event in December.

Jose
Jose do you need a fan too

Mike
MFALLON is offline Find More Posts by MFALLON
Old Nov 03, 2010, 01:59 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,353 Posts
Looks great!
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Nov 03, 2010, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2006
64 Posts
100mm Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFALLON View Post
Jose do you need a fan too

Mike
Yes I will need the fan combo as well. the way the 100mm fan is going from the reports that Carl is doing this plane will fly with plenty authority. I will see you this weekend.

Jose
rcjets12 is offline Find More Posts by rcjets12
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:37 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,794 Posts
looking good great work on the cockpit ...lot of nice hawks out there ,this one might would fly on a 90mm also ????
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY