HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:39 AM
UK, Medway, Medway
Joined Jan 2010
6 Posts
Discussion
36" spitfire Mk 1X thread build

Hi all

I have decided to build this spitfire from the MW Mag. It was in the May 06 edition, ive tried to look for thread builds on it as i have stumbled at the first hurdle regarding the wing, Dihedral wing braces, there is not much mentioned in the plane or book, no pics nothing, so i am just going to try my best.
I thought id up load some pics of my progress to ask you pro's,

What shall i do?

I have build both sides but differently, i relise that the braces will give the dihedral but will it be strong enough

[IMG][/IMG]

shall i go for half a rib either side of the rib?
or do a full rib and cut out the brace afterwards?

I am converting it to electric aswell
giveitstick is offline Find More Posts by giveitstick
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:26 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,257 Posts
I take it it's basically a three piece wing. Flat center section three bays wide, and then dihedral for the outer panels.

For that type of wing I would build the three pieces separately with the joining ribs set at the correct angle for the dihedral. I also tend to build with full ribs at the joint, (possible pre-cut part way through the ribs to make life easier later), but with the minimum of glue to the spar, then the slot is finally cut to take the dihedral brace prior to assembling the three pieces.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:29 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,257 Posts
This thread, and the link it shows, may be useful -

36" Spitfire
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:05 PM
UK, Medway, Medway
Joined Jan 2010
6 Posts
Thanks for that, yes its a 3 part wing with a flat center section,
I just wanted it confirmed before i build it incorrectly,

Ive seen that thread, but it didnt answer my problem,
Thanks again
giveitstick is offline Find More Posts by giveitstick
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:59 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,295 Posts
I think it would be fairly typical that you'd glue the brace to the spars first, then have the rib installed in two pieces, one in front of the spar, and one behind. I've had many kits built that way.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee