HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:10 PM
Joined Aug 2010
33 Posts
Help!
Which Short Course Truck? Take me to school...

I used to race 1/8 scale nitro buggies and nitro monster trucks back in the day (early 2000's) I still have my nitro savage, but am looking to get into the short course racing scene...

Can't decide which short course truck - electric or nitro?, 2wd or 4wd?

I currently fly electric planes and helis as well as scalers and rock crawlers, so I'm setup for electric and nitro (I still bash my nitro savage every once in a while)

Any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated

~Troy
TL697 is offline Find More Posts by TL697
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:56 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
i'd go electric, and for racing: sc10 rtr brushless and for bashing: slash vxl that's coming out soon.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
I'd go with a traxxas slash 4x4. It's brushless so great for racing. And also waterproof for bashing. I'd do that if I was you
connorryder100 is offline Find More Posts by connorryder100
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:22 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Dont forget the HPI blitz.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:08 AM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
umm, brushless isn't what makes a vehicle great for racing. what makes something great for racing is how it handles, and that's why i reccomended the sc10. brushless is just a better power system.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 06:05 PM
Joined Oct 2010
2 Posts
No matter how good x brand car or truck is its not gonna help you win races unless you know how to drive... Experience is key......
krazy_krawler is offline Find More Posts by krazy_krawler
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:01 PM
Joined Aug 2010
33 Posts
Thanks for the replies...

Those are some of the options I was considering...

SO...

Which one and why?

Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:14 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
well, are you racing or bashing? that's what determines it, as racing is definetly sc10 and bashing is definetly slash.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:10 PM
Joined Aug 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
well, are you racing or bashing? that's what determines it, as racing is definetly sc10 and bashing is definetly slash.
I'd like to race, but need to get more info on the local short course racing scene... My Savage is fine for bashing, so probably a racer...

What about 4wd?

Also, sc10 rtr comes with a 3-channel Tx... Is it decent enough, or do I need to look at a 3PM-X or DX3R? I need a 3-channel Tx for my scaler and rock crawler as well...

Troy
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:55 PM
Joined Aug 2010
33 Posts
Also, what about the SC8 RTR?

Thanks,

Troy
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:29 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,370 Posts
Hi Troy

You can compare X brand V/S Y brand all day long.They all have good points and bad.There is no such thing as a perfect truck. We all have to make the best out of the design of the truck.
Some jump great but can't corner. Some corner like they are on rails but are fragile. You can minimize all of the issues of any truck with practice on the track. Regular maintenance is also key. To finish first you first have to finish.
What ever brand you go with look at the manufactures website they should have track notes and set up sheets.
These are good starting points to work from. Keep your own notes as well What tire condemnations work good shock oil and spring rates. Like they say knowledge is power.

In the end Go to the track and see what the locals are racing. See what the LHS carries you will need parts sometimes in a hurry not in a week. Ask the fast guy's or gal's how they like there truck. You have a wealth of info at the track.

Good luck
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:54 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
4x4's are fun, but there isn't much of a class for them, and they require very expensive brushless systems. that's why i say start with a 2wd. the radio on the sc10 rtr is not a big fancy radio, it has the third channel function, but it's just a button. keep it for racing since that's perfect for racing that only requires 2 channels. for a crawler the 3pmx or airtronics equivalant is good for those. i like sc10's, my personal truck is a slash, but sc10's really are the ticket for racing. i just like the idea of eventually racing with a slash and finally winning a race with it while everyone else has sc10's.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:09 PM
United States, NH, Dover
Joined May 2010
123 Posts
I had this problem a couple months ago as well. I went with the 2wd Slash and love it. It is a great entery lvl truck. Tons of parts and can be upgraded without a second mortgage. I havent raced yet but I have been hittin the track to practice. So far all I have done is get a few more battery packs. Im sure I will out grow it and move up but for me this was a great place to start. Also the RTR for $200 couldnt be beat
Helikevin is offline Find More Posts by Helikevin
Old Oct 29, 2010, 01:25 AM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,466 Posts
Definitely the 2wd Slash VXL.

The Slash is simple, and it's bomb-proof. There's very little that actually CAN go wrong with it. You can beat the living hell out of a 2wd Slash and it just comes back asking for more.

Another thing to consider is that when something does eventually break, every hobby shop in the country (I've never seen a hobby shop that didn't) carries Traxxas parts. And since the Slash shares so many parts with long-lived staples like the Rustler and Stampede, you'll almost always be able to find parts for it. Never have to wait days for replacement parts to get to you.

There are a lot of nice SCTs out there today, but the Slash is still the most durable, most easily-repaired (Both in parts availability and simplicity) that I've ever seen.

Plus, no other SCT on the market approaches the 2wd Slash in aftermarket parts compatibility..You can build a Slash using not a single OEM Traxxas part..

Not to mention, this is coming out..

Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Oct 29, 2010, 08:14 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
That is a sweet kit, think it's around $300.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher