HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:35 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,251 Posts
setting up my 104" Slick ready to play, here's a pic of the receiver install...

...Nano's are awesome, but the antenna are small and the recommendation is to get them as far from wire and metal obstructions as is practical. My thoughts were a single ribbon of signal wires and only two power wires to pinless receivers is about as good as this would get. In the pic, the JR coloured servo lead is actually all signal wires, one wire per channel, and receiver power is the twisted black/red wire running along side.

It did extend the distance between Rx and servo by a couple of feet, but everything is directly wired, each servo is getting its own signal, and the servos only have one plug between them and the receiver (extensions directly soldered to the receivers).

All flight surfaces are off two Castle BEC-Pro regulators at 8 volts, a single Castle BEC at 6 volts for throttle servo and ignition cutoff. Power from two 3S 2200mah packs, through two double throw switches (four contacts for redundancy... though may change to a soft switch arrangement). The regulators and wiring harness are all mounted in the canister box to make things tidy as well as provide awesome air circulation for the regulators.

There's two servos per flight surface, so the Nanos are mapped to have these outputs...

Rx 1

1 - 1 - ail
2 - 1 - ail
3 - 2 - elev
4 - 2 - elev
5 - 3 - throttle
6 - 7 - smoke

Rx 2

1 - 5 - ail2
2 - 5 - ail2
3 - 4 - rudd
4 - 4 - rudd
5 - 6 - ignition cutoff
6 - 8 - spare

...the servos were matched at the servo using the hitec servo programmers, so the channel outputs are simply duplicates and to the transmitter acting like a single servo.

120cc ... 5 grams worth of receivers, woot!
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:13 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,941 Posts
We have the boards inhouse and are assembling and testing. This part is taking a bit of time as we had to modify the plastic housing of the module to work with the A9. The A9 has a different pin location, so we had to make new holes for the pins.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:15 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,941 Posts
Nice install, Arron!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:50 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
One of the nicest installs I have seen.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:10 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
So, in light of recent FCC delays on the 16 channel Tx, I'm sort of thinking about maybe getting an Aurora 9. As I understand, the module is about ready, but not quite ready yet.. right? So are we talking a week or two here, or are we further out on this still?
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:42 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,941 Posts
The module is done. We are doing the assembly of them. We have actually shipped some of them with the Futaba label (so we can have a FCC legally marked product). The A9 labels are not here yet, which is the last piece missing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:46 PM
Global Hobby Store
Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,116 Posts
Thats brilliant news jim.. Time to sell my spectra module and optima rx's....
The final piece of my demo kit for the aus market is at hand

Rob
rorrock is offline Find More Posts by rorrock
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:53 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,941 Posts
Well, after a 400' range test we flew one of the turbine birds today with two of the Nano recievers - used to get the 11 channels needed to fly the jet. Those things amaze me more and more everytime we use them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:45 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,251 Posts
104 Slick made her first event this weekend, having some ignition issues, but no radio issues. Set up a buddy box with a second A9 and let anyone who wanted a chance to fly the plane. A couple of guys really specked the plane out being too scared of anything happening... thought popped in my head that massive airplane was specked out using the tiny receivers no problem. One of the guys that gave it a go was an A9 pilot, and with the buddy box noticed the link improvement over stock...

Event is going great, plane and radio performing flawlessly. Here's a pic of some hover bowling
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:55 AM
Pants on the ground
exit 26 Jersey
Joined Jul 2007
6,220 Posts
Sweet, nice shot!
xsubsailor is offline Find More Posts by xsubsailor
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:37 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,941 Posts
Oh Geez, tail feather bowling? ha!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:53 PM
3DHobbyShop.com
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,528 Posts
Nice... hoping to pick a module up in Toledo?
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:13 PM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,743 Posts
Or perhaps SEFF?
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:33 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithK View Post
Or perhaps SEFF?
+1 on that!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:10 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,251 Posts
here's a little video of the 104 Slick flown on the A9, XPS XtremeLink module, dual Nano receivers...

3DHS 104 Orange Slick Saturday AM Demo TN Huckfest (10 min 11 sec)

(people should update to 1.08 on the A9 too, the new expo is wonderful. was flying super slow rolls from one side of the field to the other over the weekend, wouldn't be possible on the previous version while still using 3D rates)