HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:11 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
I would not recommend disconnection the u.FL connector! They are only good for 2-3 insertions/removals before they are damaged. This means that every 2-3 changes you would need a new external antenna coax w/u.FL connector.

The latest version of the Nano firmware automatically makes ALL slave receivers channels 7-12. If you have an earlier version, then an XDP is required to change the channel mapping.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:38 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
1. It would take more engineering than we gave it to make the antenna on top removable... would need a way for the cable to exit under the antenna, etc. If you go for it, make sure to support the antenna cable where it exits the module case or wherever as the little plug on the end of it isn't up for much tugging and abuse.

2. Unsure if Jim has put the change through on the default binding... but as far as I know if you bind a slave at the moment it will stay the default channels of 1-6. To bind multiple nanos, put all the receivers except the last one into slave-bind mode, then the last one into regular bind mode.

binding... with the Tx turned off...

regular bind mode: turn the receiver on wait a couple of seconds, add the bind plug to the B plug position for a couple of seconds the led will change, remove the bind plug and the led will change flashing again to indicate being in bind mode. bind only one receiver in this mode, if using slaves get all the slaves into slave binding mode below before doing the last receiver in regular bind.

slave-bind mode: do the sequence for regular bind, but then add the bind plug one more time for a couple of seconds, and then remove it again... the led will turn solid. it is now binding as a slave. do this for all slave receivers.

...with all the rx's in their relative bind modes, turn on the Tx, while holding the bind button on the module select to transmit in the A9... watch the LED on the module until it turns green then release the button. the set and receivers should now be bound. turn off all the receivers and transmitter, turn them all back on again and they should be good to go.
this post should be a sticky.good intel.
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:04 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I would not recommend disconnection the u.FL connector! They are only good for 2-3 insertions/removals before they are damaged. This means that every 2-3 changes you would need a new external antenna coax w/u.FL connector.

Was this post in response to my post?

All I am proposing is taking the product you sell....here and installing it on the top just as a regular mod. The only difference would be that the cable then is run on the outside of the TX and gets inserted into the module as a usual mod would. The end product would be just like a stock Hitec module/antenna only using your products. The hitch would be that I imagine it would be important to provide a strain relief of some sort so that the cable doesn't get yanked out on accident then ruining the u.FL connector.

Did I splain that better?
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Last edited by marksextra; Feb 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:07 PM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
1. It would take more engineering than we gave it to make the antenna on top removable... would need a way for the cable to exit under the antenna, etc. If you go for it, make sure to support the antenna cable where it exits the module case or wherever as the little plug on the end of it isn't up for much tugging and abuse.
Ya. You know what I mean. All that would be required would be to drill or dremel a slot in the bottom of the plastic plug in thingy so that the cable could exit up out instead of routing down throught the tx housing to get to the module. ya. ya. That's the ticket.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:16 PM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Ok. How about this one.

How tight of a bend can I put in the cable from this without adversely affecting anything?

Also, the bottom of the plastic plug thingy doesnt fit in the stock hole of the A9.

Without that fitting. A truely removeable module is almost hopeless.
Last edited by marksextra; Feb 13, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:30 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
I guess I am confused. I believe you are planning to switch modules periodically for use with other systems (like the Spektrum bind and fly stuff). This would require changing the antenna, which means removing the u.FL connector (which is the only way). You really can't do that.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:40 PM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I guess I am confused. I believe you are planning to switch modules periodically for use with other systems (like the Spektrum bind and fly stuff). This would require changing the antenna, which means removing the u.FL connector (which is the only way). You really can't do that.
I"m sorry Jim. It's probably me that's cofused. I think the confusion comes from me wanting to switch out modules periodically and where the antenna is at that time. It is usually convenient to change modules if you have the xps module all stock as you sell them. Once you do the mod to relocate the antena to the top. you can no longer remove the antenna becaue you would have to unplug the u.FL. as the cable runs down through the inside of the TX.

What I would like to do is to remove the xps module and antenna(located in the stock position on top) and replace it periodically with a spectrum one. Which means changing the antenna. BUT changing the antenna does not require unplugging the u.FL connector IF the module goes with it and the cable was run on the outside of the TX. Does it? Is the u.FL connector where this arrow is pointing?

If that is the case then how come I can't remove the antenna and module(all connected together) from the TX and insert a new module/antenna? The u.FL connector(if that's what it is) would still be inside the module secured as you suggested with some goo. Unless someone knows how to fly spektrum with the A9 some other way than changing modules?
Last edited by marksextra; Feb 13, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
OK. So the outside diameter of the plug in plastic thingy and the O.D. of the nub thing that sticks up out of the A9 are just about the same. hmm. just thinking out loud.

So the only small challenge that remains now is to connect/insert the xps antenna into the stock hitec antenna hole. You can't modify the hole as the other modules/antenna combos use this stock hole as it is.
Last edited by marksextra; Feb 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:17 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,407 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594399
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:39 PM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
I don't get it. Sorry.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:57 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,407 Posts
Oops!
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:02 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
Ok. How about this one.

How tight of a bend can I put in the cable from this without adversely affecting anything?

Also, the bottom of the plastic plug thingy doesnt fit in the stock hole of the A9.

Without that fitting. A truely removeable module is almost hopeless.

ah, ok, I follow your drift. that plastic thingie does indeed just sit in the housing on the A9, and yes, with a dremel cutting wheel you could clear a channel so that the cable can exit that plastic mount so you can sit the mount in the A9.

...and, you could easily drill a hole in the module and put the cable through the outside of the module case so it would indeed replicate the stock A9 module arrangement with external cable.

That said... I'm unsure of the length of the shorter pigtail... it may reach, but I can't say for certain as it has to reach over the back of the transmitter. The long pigtail would reach for sure, though I'm unsure about the RF implications (Jim would know)...
http://xtremepowersystems.net/prodde...p?prod=XPS-PT2

...and as I mentioned earlier, be sure to reinforce where the pigtail exits the module so that it has support (similar to how the hitec cable coming from their module has support), so that removing the module etc wouldn't tug on the micro connector inside. Use a drop of welders glue or something, I've done this many times with servo wires, works well.

outside of the RF implications of the longer pigtail, methinks it' is a doable project.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:03 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
OK. So the outside diameter of the plug in plastic thingy and the O.D. of the nub thing that sticks up out of the A9 are just about the same. hmm. just thinking out loud.

So the only small challenge that remains now is to connect/insert the xps antenna into the stock hitec antenna hole. You can't modify the hole as the other modules/antenna combos use this stock hole as it is.
the plastic thingo just sits in there, more removable than a stock whatever.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:21 AM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
the plastic thingo just sits in there, more removable than a stock whatever.
not mine. The one that was sent to me has the same O.D. as the nub thingy that sticks up out of the a9. I put the calipers to them and they're really close on the O.D. So I need a way to get it to mate together. Either a sleeve or a dowel that fits the I.d. of both or both in combination.

On the RF issues. I have whatver pigtail the tech department specified I should have. It certainly appears to well long enough.
Last edited by marksextra; Feb 14, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:32 AM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
I'm so glad you know what I mean. I measured the pigtail that I was sent and it appears to be 10.75 inches long.

Also, here's a picture of what I'm talking about. I need to be able to stick the top plastic thingy into the bottom plastic thingy to hold the antenna. How's that for technical talk?

Any ideas on how to hold the antenna up there?