HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:29 AM
IHeartDLG
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardracer View Post
I wasn't going to take it quite that far. A nano with a single antenna that could be put through a full carbon fuse is all I was thinking.
I did not imply that I was thinking about cutting off one of the antenna leads on the nano. Instead, I was just thinking out loud that my DLG fuses are very space limited and a receiver the size of the nano with a single antenna that could be placed outside the fuse would be nice. I understand that both leads are required on these. A scaled down version of the sailplane receiver is what I was suggesting.
Yardracer is online now Find More Posts by Yardracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:14 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Am I missing the module on the website? I can't see the A9 module.....???

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:01 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Am I missing the module on the website? I can't see the A9 module.....???

Mike
they're being built/shipped... not as yet available.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:01 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
logic board?

What is this logic board replacement of which you speak?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:51 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I have a few questions, sorry if I missed the info.

Will any of the RX's have built in telemetry like the Optima RX's?

If not, Will XPS have their own "sensors" or will you use Hitecs?

What are the voltage limits on the RX's? Can I power it and the servos from a 2S/7.4V lipo if using HV servos?

Very interested in seeing this one come to market, also very interested in the TX XPS will be selling.

Thanks,

Diggs

Edit: Forgot to ask this. It seems the AFHSS is being duplicated exactly to allow the telemetry data to be received by the A9 and displayed on the A9 srcreen. What type of signal tech is used from XPS and their RXs? Is it also a style of AFHSS or something else? IF something else, what is it and does it hop like FAAST?
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:02 PM
Pants on the ground
exit 26 Jersey
Joined Jul 2007
6,220 Posts
any pics of the new xps transmitter
xsubsailor is offline Find More Posts by xsubsailor
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:52 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post

What are the voltage limits on the RX's? Can I power it and the servos from a 2S/7.4V lipo if using HV servos?

Very interested in seeing this one come to market, also very interested in the TX XPS will be selling.

Thanks,

Diggs

Edit: Forgot to ask this. It seems the AFHSS is being duplicated exactly to allow the telemetry data to be received by the A9 and displayed on the A9 srcreen. What type of signal tech is used from XPS and their RXs? Is it also a style of AFHSS or something else? IF something else, what is it and does it hop like FAAST?
- unsure about telemetry in the current receivers, I'm just completely enamored with the Nano... it doesn't have telemetry but at $29 each is all the receiver I'll need (it doesn't answer your question, but they rock).

- the plans are to have the telemetry work with Hitecs and EagleTree's sensors

- reboot voltage of the Nano is 1.8v. Nano is the first to get the chipset of its kind which sets the reboot voltage level.

- Nano can take 16v. The new receivers that use the same new chipset of the Nano, I'm unsure about the older receivers.

- the latest version of the system is continually hopping like all the cool kids.

...I'm not all that stressed about larger receivers because you can program the outputs of the Nano to output channels 1 through 16, so bind multiples of them and they can gang together to do more than any other receiver I know of (outside of the Futaba XBus, but for that you need completely compatible components, servos, etc).
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:54 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsubsailor View Post
little ones

Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:54 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
What is this logic board replacement of which you speak?
Last paragraph.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post

Thanks,

Diggs

Current 8 and 10 ch can take 30v, KM has the Nano covered and forthcoming models. Jim has said the A9 module will display Rx voltage just like the Hitec one. I havent heard the status lately on sensors, although a developer kit was available. It is frequency hopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsubsailor View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&pp=100&page=4
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:49 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,913 Posts
We would not use or recommend the Hitec AFHSS method. It looks at the airwaves and excludes frequencies that are busy. The problem is that it doesn't put them back when they are available, and if the original frequencies become congested, you can experience a complete lockout. An easy way to demostrate this is by using three 2.4GHz video transmitters. These transmitters operate on four channels, each occupying 20MHz (1/4) of the 2.4GHz bandwidth. If you turn on the transmitters and set them to channels 1, 2, 3, it leaves only the last 1/4 of the 2.4GHz band available. So, if you turn on the A9 the Hitec AFHSS uses just that last 1/4 of the band. Now, turn off those three transmitters and the Hitec AFHSS still only uses 1/4 of that band, and never attempts to recover the rest. If you now just turn on one of the transmitters and set it to channel 4 (the last 1/4 of the band), the Hitec AFHSS system is locked out completely - even though there is 3/4 of the band perfectly usable. Keep in mind that most FPV systems are 2.4GHz transmitters, and those in operation with other 2.4GHz radio systems create a lot of noise, which can cause a lockout if limited bandwidth is available.

Our AFHSS (released long before Hitec's) will remove and replace frequencies on the fly, and is full time hopping throughout the available frequencies.

Another problem with the Hitec AFHSS system is that when the signal becomes faulty, the transition into failsafe leaves no power going to the servos. An easy test is to connect the system and apply pressure to one of the servo arms, and then turn off the transmitter (simulating a failsafe). You will be able to turn the servo (free wheel) before the failsafe engages. IF the signal comes and goes, the servo can remain in this state with no pulse driving it, and thus no holding force.

Our receivers have telemetry capability built in. We can use our sensors (which you can build yourself from our free schematics, source code, and PCB layouts), or you will be able to use the Hitec sensor station or Eagletree sensors. We do show the signal strength (which Hitec doesn't do). Right now, the signal strength is shown in the GPS signal strength meter.

Our Nano receivers require 2.1v or higher to operate, so they work on a single Lipo. Our next generation of 8/10/12/16 channel receivers operation down to 1.8v.

By the way, this April will be the 4th anniversary of the release of our 2.4GHz modules. We were the very first company to introduce 2.4GHz modules for aircraft radios. We spent a full year before that developing and testing the technology.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Jan 13, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:51 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
Foamies!

Finally got into the gym last night with some foamies. I set up with two planes (hyperactive freestyler and a more sedate pattern plane), and for radios I had my old 10C and a R6004FF receivers, and Aurora9 with XPS module and Nano receivers. Both planes were set up in the radios, both trimmed out and flying. The idea was to fly with the 10C for nearly all the night, then switch to the Aurora9 with XPS module to see if there was perceived changes especially perceived performance problems.

...this is what really alerted me to the night/day difference to the FASST and the Hitec setups: modern freestyle foamie rolling full speed, and maneuvering around. So with this, I should be used to flying the futaba with a series of flights, and then switch to the A9/XPS set to see if I miss time these rollers.

The time went well, and in flying the two planes on the Futaba it was apparent that some maneuvers were bringing out a servo speed problem. Dymond d47 servos are good, but slow, and you really should put 2S lipo through them for them to perform with adequate speed (these are the first foamies I've had with these servos... one really shouldn't change more than one thing when doing a test, but heh... only human and all that ). Both planes had dymonds on the tails and it was apparent: parabolic curves were the order of the day for fast 90 degree corners. Was fun, good times being had, and good times got better when the custodian turned off the heating blowers for me...

Last two packs I reserved for the A9/XPS. Launched the freestyler and it seemed to be right there with me from the start. Full speed roller loops with the futaba had the bottom of the loop off line with a variance of a foot or so, this seemed to follow down the line with the same variance. Very comfortable with performance I got into a maneuver orientation I wasn't so comfortable with too low and hosed it (shouldn't do risky maneuvers on tests... heh, only human and all that )... but unlike previous times where I just crack something, the front of the plane exploded and that was the end of that.

...move to the other plane, it doesn't have the same roll rate so the hyperactive test had to be put aside and fly the rest of the pattern... it was showing the same servo performance problem as the 10C in all the same ways, no extra lagging or fighting involved.

So all in all... I'm going to revisit this test one more time with quicker servos (Futaba 3114's) and/or the dymonds on 2s lipo (everything is still about finding the weakest links and improving overall system performance after all). Even still, it was the last part of the proof for me personally, there's zero doubt as to the performance improvement over the stock Aurora, I am very happy with the A9/XPS performance. I haven't had cause to doubt the speed of the link in maneuvers, all my balsa planes are now flying XPS Nano's, and now the foamie season starts for me in earnest. After I do the updated foamie/servo test I'm quite sure I'll be selling off my 10C while there's still usable value in it (anyone who wants an as-is 10C that has a rudder and throttle trim switch that sticks periodially, let me know!). Also, those Nano's just continue to rock my world... two of them are now programmed and ready to be installed in my 100cc monster...
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:52 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
if you want to skip all the blah-blah-blah above...

summary: it's my opinion that this is the best performance you can get out of your Aurora-9 investment. The Nano receivers are the best value in receivers bar none and after only buying a handful you've covered the cost of the module, and it's the perfect foamie receiver, and you get all of its additional features and abilities. If Hitec speed up the transmitter side of the equation then it will speed up this configuration again, there's only upsides to the XPS module.

I have still to fly the system in the congested skies of SEFF, but with the continual hopping deal, etc etc... I'm really not all that stressed about it, but looking forward to it's performance there also.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:53 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
also, thanks to Jim for his patience... he's been waiting a while for my foamie report with the test module. I could have blah-blah'd about it earlier, but thought that truthiness in testing had merit
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:28 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Great write up, thanks KM. Are you using the dual Nano setup in your 50cc birds also or you just using a single Rx setup in those?
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:52 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot View Post
Great write up, thanks KM. Are you using the dual Nano setup in your 50cc birds also or you just using a single Rx setup in those?
my 50cc already had matchboxes in it for elevator and ailerons... so she was essentially a 6 channel plane including smoke. I'll run all servos to the Rx on the 100cc and use the funky channel mapping feature of the Nano to make them into a 9 channel receiver. This allows the Tx to do all the servo matching which Hitec use as a big selling feature for easy setups... in essence two nano's can do what their Optima 9 can do including run the HV voltage directly.

...there's also naturally the option of configuring the nano's to duplicate channel outputs and do the servo matching in the servos themselves using the Hitec programmer, which would free up channels for auxiliary toys like smoke, cutoff, whatever.

I'm also considering having 4 Nanos... and plugging the servos in to separate receivers without even using servo extensions (one in each wing, one in the tail, one in the fuse), and then it would be simply a matter of running power lines through the plane. There's enough room in the root rib of the wing to happily house a Nano.

...all fun options if you ask me