Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:59 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
1.37g... awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
Any suggestions on that last .37 grams? Can the corners or edges of the circuit board be carefully filed away. What about thinner wire for the antennae?

Yes I know, picking nits.

...aaaaaaaaactually... the intent of weight savings is also to remove servo plugs. most guys going this route have the hassle of removing the pins, but with the locations freshly ready to receive the servo wire, will make it much easier and enjoyable. For the servos it gets simpler again by just soldering all the servo +/- wires together and then just soldering the signal wires to the board for each servo. I imagine the weight savings with all this as well as switching the servo wire with magnet wire will be almost equivalent to a servo in weight.

But, because the signal wire locations are on the inside row, you could also hack off all the +/- locations on the board. I'm sure that would account for at least .37g making it a sub-gram Rx

...would just need to see where the receiver is connecting to the servo bus and remove all the other superfluous power locations. One could assume the power plug location, but could be anywhere on the bus. Sounds like a fun way to blow an evening and maybe $29

if Jim wanted to make *the* killer indoor Rx, the board could be perforated just behind the signal row (wouldn't be all that weaker for the regular uses with the servo pins soldered in), with a separate location to solder the power... then people could just snap off the whole servo power bus with pliers.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:12 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
if Jim wanted to make *the* killer indoor Rx, the board could be perforated just behind the signal row (wouldn't be all that weaker for the regular uses with the servo pins soldered in), with a separate location to solder the power... then people could just snap off the whole servo power bus with pliers.
Uhhhh. Wow. You guys are hardcore....

chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:21 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
No antenna is 1.33g. Cutting the board brings it down to 1.24g. You could cut off the extra through holes for channels you don't need (like if you were only using 4 channels, then 2 of the sets of 3 holes could be cut off). I think you could get it down to 1g if you really tried.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:26 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
Yep, we could in fact just cut off the power/ground holes. You would need to solder small wires directly to the voltage regulator. Fortunately, the max current the Nanos draw is about 12ma during transmission phase with the LED on, so you could use 42 gauge wire for that. Cutting off this much of the board, along with removing one of the two caps from the backside of the board (only one is actually needed - the 2nd one was included by accident in the build) would definitely put you under the 1g weight limit. As you mentioned, removing the connectors on the servos themselves and soldering (shortened wires) directly to the receiver will REALLY save some weight!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:40 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I hate actually cutting the boards up, but some people do it, I like to be able to reverse my mods when needed. Removing the extra cap sounds like a good idea and probably worth at least .1 gram.

And yes the ability to buy it without the connectors is a plus, a lot of people remove the connectors with a cutting wheel, many receivers die in the process.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Dec 22, 2010, 05:11 PM
DLG Grim Reaper
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
131 Posts
I wasn't going to take it quite that far. A nano with a single antenna that could be put through a full carbon fuse is all I was thinking.
Yardracer is offline Find More Posts by Yardracer
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:09 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
BOTH antenna wires are necessary. Those wires form a single antenna.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:07 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,806 Posts
Yeah, it always cracks me up when somebody says "I'm gonna cut off my antenna to save weight".

I mean, there are so many other ways to cut weight than to degrade your connection to your plane. Your plane will feel really heavy as it tumbles to the ground out of contol.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:24 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Here's a video of some flying on Christmas day that used the A9 module and Nano receiver... I'm super happy with the setup so far.

Christmas Roo - 3DHS 87" Extra 300SHP (7 min 34 sec)
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:20 PM
Joined Feb 2004
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
Here's a video of some flying on Christmas day that used the A9 module and Nano receiver... I'm super happy with the setup so far.

http://vimeo.com/18183581
Very, Very Nice!...
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:23 PM
Joined May 2007
86 Posts
KM--nice flying! How do like the feel of the A9? How does it compare to a 9C? Hope JD gets his new radio on the market soon---------rick
Vapor52 is offline Find More Posts by Vapor52
Old Dec 26, 2010, 03:00 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor52 View Post
KM--nice flying! How do like the feel of the A9? How does it compare to a 9C? Hope JD gets his new radio on the market soon---------rick
I quite like the A9, only issue I've ever had with it was the latency. It's a very usable radio in many ways (adjusting stick tension/ratchet without taking it apart, the touch screen programming, etc).

I'm fascinated about what it may become with the logic board swap that XPS is planning.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 03:01 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
Hey, not bad for a nano receiver!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2010, 03:02 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
Have you compared latency with our new module to one of your other setups yet?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:06 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Have you compared latency with our new module to one of your other setups yet?
All my planes now have Nano's in them programmed and ready to go, just waiting for opportunity... 'tis the season of restricted flying and interrupted priorities

New pattern foamie is on the building board and will get the first of the pinless receivers. Hoping that the custodial staff still look after the school while the kids are away...