SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:13 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Cool. Thanks Jim. Price on the A9 module?
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:36 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
for 6 channels, the Nano has pwned everything. What I'm excited about are the new 8 and 10 channel Rx's that Jim has posted about in a couple of threads as coming soon... more pwnage.
I figured they would be changing seeing as how they have their own chipset now but hadnt seen any references otherwise. Will they be substantially different than the current ones?
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:05 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,186 Posts
I just got the email that the Nano's are back in stock.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:12 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot View Post
I figured they would be changing seeing as how they have their own chipset now but hadnt seen any references otherwise. Will they be substantially different than the current ones?
From reading Jim's posts around this forum, they will indeed have more features. The Nano was the latest of their tech and has the best range, so that would be included I assume, as well as gyro's and other programming fun. They can already do fun things like channel replication and such, so the new stuff will be quite exciting.

...not the least of which will be that all the new receivers will be in-field flashable for updates... which only the Nano's can do so far from what I read (well, some can, some can't depending on chipsets, but the nano's all have the flashable chipsets).
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:51 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Will be interesting to see what they do for sure. I built a GP Super Stearman and being able to run all 4 ailerons to separate channels was nice. Of course now with the MX-24 I could have put them all on separate channels . All of the RXs I have gotten that shipped with v3 firmware are all flashable. Of course none of my older ones are. I hope they still have them in stock in a couple weeks when I can actually order one .
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:07 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,775 Posts
With the new RF hardware that I created, we have a lot of flexibillity because the range is 3 times what the Nano receivers is, and about the same total size. Long diversity antennas allow us to get outside of all carbon setups, and makes installation in most everything easier.

We will be releasing some receivers with 3 axis gyros built in, so we will be able to have flybarless setups as well as some wicked 3D controls for aircraft.

Pricing is much better with our own hardware (we make all of it now).

The Aurora 9 module will be $99.

Any more news on testing there KM?
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:48 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I hope you will have the nano with the 3D gyro in it for the really small things like the Firefox 100 and 200. Any idea of the (rough high side) target price range for these receivers with the gyro built in? Certainly would make for a lighter system than the ones that require a full receiver and all the servo connections.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Dec 18, 2010, 01:49 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Any more news on testing there KM?
(ok, will try and answer this without using "locked in" or "more connected")

...to fill others in... I got a test module last week, and with my half dozen planes with nanos including my 55cc 87" SHP, I've been testing the A9. The stock A9 had been quite the frustrating experience with respect to my aerobatic expectations.

Due to weather, testing the new module has been with the 87. Last sunday was mostly 3D, but yesterday I got in some good precision practice. I was suspecting expo as some of the latency problem and had it reduced, but yesterday I bumped it back up for precision testing and it felt great. I now highly suspect that latency also had something to do with people not liking the A9 expo (it's the go-to setting to adjust responsiveness after all). The little issues with latency haven't been there with the new module; no input induced wing rock (if your corrections are late it can induce some wing rock in harriers, etc), wildly late roll precision, fast hesitations are on point. It's been very comfortable and the plane has been thrown around at very low altitudes as a result.

So testing is going great with respect to the big planes (the weight savings on a 17lb plane from going from a 14g receiver to a 3g receiver is awesome ), still have yet to breakout the freestyle foamies for the ultimate lag test...

Because humans can adjust for a lot, there are still some tests (like the foamies) that i want to complete to ty and remove any emotional tampering of results. But, that said, I really do like the current feel of the radio, the connection has simply felt more locked in and more connected.

(dang, so close...)
Last edited by theKM; Dec 18, 2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:57 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,775 Posts
LOL! I look forward to the foamie test results. I have a similar experience here with testing foamies. With the stock Hitec 2.4GHz system, it is a bit nerve racking when things just don't quite work at the speed you expect them to, especially after using a really quick system. I can not imagine trying to do any serious heli 3D flying with the Hitec 2.4GHz. Yes, you can get use to the long latency with the Hitec 2.4GHz (which is why some swear there is none), but your movements will definitely be slower and later than when compared to our new Hitec module.

Our Nano receivers are ~1/3rd the weight of the new Optima 6 LITE receivers, not to mention $20 cheaper. We don't need battery telemetry with our Nano receivers because they operate down to an amazing 2.1v! These are ideal for single cell Lipo setups, and since they have incredible sensitiviy (-102dBm) their range exceeds anything you might need for R/C.

The A9 is also one of the many transmitters we are making a replacement encoder board for. This means that we will be able to convert it to 16 channels, eliminate the transmitter side latency, and offer built-in speech and other features.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Dec 18, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:23 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Wow. Sounds really cool Jim.

That low voltage thing is the key to me. I lost a lot of planes to voltage drop lock-outs on XPS receivers, even using dedicated receiver packs. I'm fairly certain they were all power outages. Getting that voltage down will do a LOT for repairing the damage your brand took due to receiver lockouts.

And all these new features and products can't hurt either!

Way to go. I've got two Aurora 9 radios now, so I plan on converting one of them to the new XPS module and trying out your new Nano receivers for my super-light planes... assuming the reviews are good and all the products do what they claim on paper.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:46 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,775 Posts
Our standard receivers have a reboot voltage of 2.9v. If you had a lockout because of low voltage, you need to change the way you do your setups! We recommend A123 batteries for everything. The smallest pack (3.2oz) can deliver 33A of continuous current. The voltage is right between a 4 cell and 5 cell Nimh or Nicad pack. Fast charge, no self discharge, 1000+ cyclelife, etc. They are holy grail of power sources for R/C.

Once we added the low voltage warning indicator, that ended our power issues. Hard to argue with glowing orange LED!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:48 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Wow. Sounds really cool Jim.

That low voltage thing is the key to me. I lost a lot of planes to voltage drop lock-outs on XPS receivers, even using dedicated receiver packs. I'm fairly certain they were all power outages. Getting that voltage down will do a LOT for repairing the damage your brand took due to receiver lockouts.

And all these new features and products can't hurt either!

Way to go. I've got two Aurora 9 radios now, so I plan on converting one of them to the new XPS module and trying out your new Nano receivers for my super-light planes... assuming the reviews are good and all the products do what they claim on paper.
I can't say enough about that receiver. One is in my 55cc gasser and even today we had some friends over for a Chrissy party and I went out for a demo flight while there was still sunlight and the wife was cooking the pizza. In no way was I restricting the box size, super long KE passes and rollers off long into the sunset. And when you're flying for the completely uninitiated, altitude demos always impress for some silly reason. Flying a 3g receiver and you fly far enough away to spark the "wow, how far away can it go?" question.

Then... turn around and the same receiver is in my foamies without cropping antennas or anything it's lighter than the AR6110. I just ordered a couple without pins (it's so awesome that you can get them without pins) and it will be lighter than an AR6300... it's also $10 cheaper than both. Could refit a parkzone ultra micro sukhoi with a pin-less nano, 1.5g servos and a brushless setup and come out no heavier.

ultra micro --> giant scale gasser. $29.

the ad writes itself
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:22 AM
DLG Grim Reaper
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
132 Posts
I got my A9 Saturday, Liking it so far excep that I added 5 grams to the first of the DLG's I set up with it. And that's with a stripped 6 channel optima. Put me on the list for the module as soon as they're available, I'm ready to get these birds flying light again. My Ritewings have been patiently awaiting the changeover as well, now I'll have hardware I can trust with them.
Yardracer is offline Find More Posts by Yardracer
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:31 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,775 Posts
Nano receiver weight!

theKM ordered a few Nanos without pins. Those have to be custom made, so we did that today. While I had them, I decided to weigh them. Without the label and servo pins (stripped down - like you would use in an ultra lightweight foamie setup), their weight is just 1.37 grams!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:27 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Any suggestions on that last .37 grams? Can the corners or edges of the circuit board be carefully filed away. What about thinner wire for the antennae?

Yes I know, picking nits.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot