Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:34 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm View Post
Jim,

Why is there such a big difference in price between the 6-ch and 8/10-ch rx? I mostly need at least 7-ch rx's and the price of the 8/10 ch are stopping be from buying into your system.

Any chance of your coming out with cheaper 7-8-9-10 channel rx's in the near future?

chewy
Yes. There will be new receivers coming in a couple of months. These will be:

9 channel - $59
12 channel - $79
16 channel - $129
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:15 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Thanks, KM.

Those are very good prices, Jim

Jim, instead of the antenna mounted to the back of the module, can we use the original A9 antenna. I know the FCC don't allow the substitution of antenna in the US, but there are no such rules in Malaysia. So, hypothetically speaking, will your module work well with the original A9 antenna. Compatible dBi, etc.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:15 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
DID I need to get the programming thing to hook two nanos together?
P.S. Jim,just got my shipping notice..nice..Thanks!!I just ordered the conversion last night late..
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:24 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
yes an no... yes in that they can take the voltage of 4S lipo directly, but no in that this voltage will be passed straight through to whatever servos you plug into it.

...the SPC is also there to make sure that there is plenty of volts on hand to prevent a brownout, but the XPS receivere brownout voltage is far below servo operating voltage. they also have reportedly the fastest reboot if indeed you do brownout due to a voltage sag. This is generally all you need, as if the voltage comes back enough to drive the servos, you'll have all the receiver power you need.
I'm not worried about brownouts at all, especially with the XPS stuff as low as they can operate, but I do love having that SPC voltage telemetry with alarm on the Tx. If XPS were to add something like that and say support up to 14S lipo voltage it would we outstanding
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:25 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Yes. There will be new receivers coming in a couple of months. These will be:

9 channel - $59
12 channel - $79
16 channel - $129
Wow, outstanding prices to be sure.
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:38 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
P.S. Jim,just got my shipping notice..nice..Thanks!!I just ordered the conversion last night late..
yes... the receivers come stock with outputting 1-6 on their respective pins... so if you need channels 7-12, you'll need the XDP
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:03 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, KM.

Those are very good prices, Jim

Jim, instead of the antenna mounted to the back of the module, can we use the original A9 antenna. I know the FCC don't allow the substitution of antenna in the US, but there are no such rules in Malaysia. So, hypothetically speaking, will your module work well with the original A9 antenna. Compatible dBi, etc.

chewy
No, you can not do this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:05 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Quote:
Yes, you would need the XDP to do the channel mapping with the Nanos. The standard 8/10 channel receivers have push button programming that allows you to change the channel mapping without the XDP.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:04 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
ok thanks.I reckon when I order the next cple of rx's if i like the setup I will get the xdp also.I wont need to gang rxs together for a while as I dont have a plane that needs more then 6 channels right not anyhow.But the 104 is a dream of mine....
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:09 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
ok thanks.I reckon when I order the next cple of rx's if i like the setup I will get the xdp also.I wont need to gang rxs together for a while as I dont have a plane that needs more then 6 channels right not anyhow.But the 104 is a dream of mine....
by the time you get the 104, the other receivers will be around and the 16 channel receiver will be the desired solution for a whole bunch of reasons.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:35 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
by the time you get the 104, the other receivers will be around and the 16 channel receiver will be the desired solution for a whole bunch of reasons.
except my redundant bec solution the 2 rx's will work perfectly!
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:22 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
I will wait till the end-pins and other new rx becomes available to save on postage.

Btw, too bad about not being able to use the A9 antenna, though. What is the incompatibility between your module and the A9 antenna?

Is your system freq hopping over the entire range of 80 frequencies or just a limit subset like the A9 original system?

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:22 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
except my redundant bec solution the 2 rx's will work perfectly!
BECs are NEVER a solution - only a potential problem!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:23 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Quote:
I will wait till the end-pins and other new rx becomes available to save on postage.

Btw, too bad about not being able to use the A9 antenna, though. What is the incompatibility between your module and the A9 antenna?

Is your system freq hopping over the entire range of 80 frequencies or just a limit subset like the A9 original system?

chewy
Our frequency hopping works with the entire range.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:53 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
BECs are NEVER a solution - only a potential problem!
I like how the Optima receivers can be powered from the main supply (supplying main battery telemetry at the same time) while the BEC only powers the servos. While I think you could wire up the Rx/servos this way with a custom wire job, it would require modifying all your servo wires etc to correctly hook up. Sort of a pain. Perhaps a future receiver will have that same telemetry functionality available.

On a side note, BECs _are_ a solution. They make it so you don't have to charge an extra Rx pack and try to outfit planes with the space/weight of the Rx pack. BECs just aren't the right solution for every installation. I run a BEC in 4/5 of my planes/helis. The one without (a nitro plane) I run high voltage servos and the Rx straight from a 2s lipo.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm