SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:32 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Discussion
BlackStar RC Yachts -

I was doing some research on "Footy's" and came across "Blackstar R/C Yachts". I had not heard of them before, so I contacted them via e-mail to enquire about their very nice looking boats.

I got a phone call shortly after sending my e-mail, which was a positive first step. An engaging fellow named Christopher Lones called me to field my questions. He was a very knowledgeable and interested, and our conversation lasted for 30 minutes.

Christopher is both the designer and the builder of Blackstar R/C sailboats, and has been doing it since 1983. A particular point of interest to me is that his boats are hand layed fiberglass, with Carbon Spars and Mylar sails. I like the fiberglass hull aspect for it's strength. Another "footy" I am considering has a molded styrene hull, plywood deck, with aluminum spars. I have sailed one of their 32" boats which is made of the same materials as their footys, which are terrific boats, but I was concerned I might crack it. Never happened, so my fear was just that.

Chris is the builder and an avid sailor, who builds his boats one at a time, and all by hand. He has a real passion for his products, and for RC sailing in general. He is now located in the Denver area, but as I understand it, he started out in Florida, where his boats are well known and very popular.

His prices seem quite fair for RTR boats. I was surprised actually, I thought the prices were for kits. I asked him if he'd sell a boat without the radio, and he said sure, and to deduct $50 from the posted price. Since I use 2.4 technology and have my radios and receivers, that was good news. I asked him about doing a few custom touches for me, and he was happy to oblige.

He builds a variety of boats and lengths.
Footy Class $219
Footy Class F14 $189
Blackstar SS $229
Prices don't include shipping or any sales tax
He said his boats are also available in kit form. E-mail Christofer for pricing as it depends on how much of a kit you'll want.
He told me all boats come fully built in your choice of color and include 2ch Radios.

I posted some photos for you guys, and hopefully I can get some feed back from you fellows. I am about ready to order a 'Footy" from Christofer and am really liking his 30" boat as well.

To check out Chris's web site go to:
http://blackstaryacht.com/Blackstar_30.html

Look forward to your comments.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 29, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:57 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
I was doing some research on "Footy's" and came across "Blackstar R/C Yachts".
He builds a variety of boats and lengths.
Footy Class $219
Footy Class F14 $189
Blackstar SS $229
Prices don't include shipping or any sales tax

Look forward to your comments.

Boomer
Boomer i think you've scored a real find.. Thanks for posting this.. I'm amazed by the pricing too but am pretty sure these prices would not include the sails too, is that correct that sails would be extra?.. or would they?

I think the quality of Chris's work looks excellent.. I need to watch some Footys in action here the SD pond now.. the BlackStar 20 and custom 33 incher looks amazing too..

Thanks Boomer.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:09 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
993 Posts
Nice boats. I really like the 30". And the Blackstar 20 with the single cat sail should take off, like the Laser.
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:04 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
RTR = Sails are included!

Jim
These are RTR so the sails are included! If you have questions, shoot him an e-mail. Nice fellow and can fill you in on any information you need.
Here are a few "action" shoots of his footy on the water.

I thought of a point Chris made regarding the tendancy some footys to bow dive. He told me his design reduces this tendancy. In sailing my friends V12, I did notice in the heavy breezes, it did want to bow dive. I shared with him a concern I have with the other boat's hatch set up, which to me is a potential leak point. He told me his hatch is more watertite, and has strong magnets to hold in place mechanically.

These litttle guys are very close to being a submarines, just by how small and close to the water they are. Not much freeboard on a footy!

Boomer

Check out this site http://footy.rcsailing.net/plans.php
Last edited by Boomer1; Oct 23, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:54 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Thanks Boomer..
I'll call him once my current flame dies down and I'm off to the next project.. looks like these boats handle very well in heavier conditions and I can now picture that's important..

I can see Chris does super work! Once i get past the toe in the water phase.. a LOT of what I'll do with my budding addiction to RC sailing depends on what the guys here are sailing, how well I like sailing myself, and if I can get the family hooked into it/ or at least picnics down there on occasion..
Thanks for the info tho, JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:40 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Nov 2008
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Look forward to your comments.Boomer
Boomer-

I bought one of Chris' F14 "kits" about a month ago. What a wonderful little boat (I'm still fussing over the paint job and have been slowed down due to my own ham-handness and the weather).

The kit I got came with the hull and deck assembled, as well as the keel and bulb. A bit of minor finish work and paint and it's on to the rigging...

I found Chris to be very helpful any time I had a stupid question - which was more than a few times.

Cost was great - I think it was $145 shipped and that included the optional "light air" rig.

I'll try and post some pictures shortly.

Brad.
bradb667 is offline Find More Posts by bradb667
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:48 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Brad
I will be looking forward to your next report. I am going to get one of his boat over the winter. I have been studying footys for a while and recently sailed a friends Victor footy, and really had fun with it!

Standing by.
Boomer
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:36 PM
Joined Sep 2007
7 Posts
Boomer,

I've been looking around for the ideal RC sailboat for me. By accident I discovered your thread on Blackstar Model Yachts and it pushed me to a decision. I have ordered the Footy 14 and the Trimaran from Chris just today. That Blackstar 20 SS looks mighty fine too. Heck, they all do. Hmm, maybe towards summer.

Don
MaxLD is offline Find More Posts by MaxLD
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:48 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
That is terrific. Post pictures when your are ready.
Thanks for sharing this. Glad the thread was of value.
Boomer
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:48 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
I just ordered Several of the SSs to try and get a small one design fleet going. I ordered them based on this thread. Chris has been great. I will post as soon as I get them. I have been able to find little or no info on them on the interweb.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:59 AM
Joined Sep 2007
7 Posts
Footy 14 and Trimaran

The boats were delivered by FedEx over a week ago. I had been out of town until yesterday. Like a kid a Christmas, I opened the rather large parcel and was immediately impressed with the care Chris took in preparing the models for shipment. The rigging was already pre assembled and fastened to a flat sheet of cardboard, making the installation all rather intuitive. Chris will email complete assembly and rig tuning instructions, with photo's, when he ships. The deck and hulls are already joined. The fit and finish is excellent. The Futaba radio gear was pre-installed using a removable servo tray. It all looks very professional. The designs are well thought through. Chris even included boat stands. Outstanding value. You will not be disappointed ordering from BlackStar Model Yachts.

I'm sure the boats will sail as good as they look, but I may not get the chance to try them out before I leave California for Milwaukee in a few days. There, ponds will not be in liquid form for several more weeks yet or I would take the boats with me. Just as soon as I am able, I will post photo's of these beauties on the water, maybe even make a YouTube video.

Don
MaxLD is offline Find More Posts by MaxLD
Last edited by MaxLD; Feb 12, 2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:16 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Max, Gregg, Brad,
Congrats on the new boats. I am sure those following this thread will look forward to seeing pictures of your boats and learning how they sail.

Based on everything I have heard, you guys will be very happy with these boats.

I sure Chris appreciates your orders.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 12, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:16 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
I got a few SS kits in the mail last week. Chris' fiberglass work and the degree of finish on these boats were terrific. The boats were very complete and I am really looking forward to getting them in the water. I am building three identical boats for OD racing. They are small, but look like they will sail very well.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:33 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Lookin good!

Gregg
You are right! The glass work looks terrific. The boats looks fast just sitting there.
Keep the photos coming.
Boomer
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:32 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
I am way behind on posting these, but the three boats are done. Excellent quality and they sail nicely. The sails are out a little, so the feet are actually a little longer than they appear.