HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:16 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
Discussion
Some sort of fibreglass strips that can be painted on to repair?

Hi guys,

I'm new here so I may be saying some daft stuff that isn't possible but it's only because I'm still learning!

Right well, I've managed to have a fairly full on crash with my parkzone spitfire. It's wing is almost broken in half and the front cone of the fuselage is cracked and crumpled.

On the plus side I've checked the motor and control surfaces and everything still works..

On the surface I immediately thought I'd have to scrap the whole thing or at least buy a new body kit to replace the parts. However I'd just like to double check that this is actually the case?

Basically, in my mind, I'd imagine there's some sort of carbon fibre strips which can then be brushed over with a hardener/glue? These would then dry rock hard and voila, fix the wing and fuselage?

Could someone tell me if such things exist?

Any advice and suggestions greatly appreciated.
gizmo1990 is offline Find More Posts by gizmo1990
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:23 AM
Team Basement RC
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
430 Posts
You can get carbon fiber cloth and also carbon fiber strands. You can also” dismantle" carbon fiver cloth into strands if necessary. You can use the strands for your application as you mentioned. Basically you coat the surface with adhesive (epoxy) and brush the strands in. But this should be done last. Your first priority is to strengthen the broken areas from THE INSIDE.

For the broken wing, use Gorilla Glue or epoxy and spread it into other broken halves. Then lightly coat toothpicks or shish-kebab skewers and poke them into the halves so that they will act as structural reinforcement

For the fuselage, I am not sure what kind of foam is used n your plane, but you can try dunking the nose into a pot of hot (just below boiling) water. Of course, you must remove all the electronics first! Be careful ding this. Some foam may blister. Massage the area and continue dunking it until it regains most of its shape. Once that is done, you can glue the broken sections together also using toothpicks or shish kebab skewers for reinforcement. Then add carbon strands on the surface as you see fit.
max1 is offline Find More Posts by max1