HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2010, 04:01 AM
Cornwall UK
Joined Jun 2007
13 Posts
Discussion
Quad frame idea for safety

Hi Guys,
I am just about to build my first quad for aerial photography (maybe the x650 when some of you have reviewed it first!). I have 35 years rc experience with planes and hellis. Has anyone used aerofoils for the booms on their quad? My theory is the quad would "helicopter" down like a sycamore seed. I know the wind would affect it a little but if I am 400 ft up and everything fails, at least is will fall a bit slower! I see lots of talk about parachutes but this seems simpler. What do you guys think?
andrewonline is offline Find More Posts by andrewonline
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2010, 04:40 AM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,746 Posts
wouldn't the air from the props make it want to spin in flight..
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:00 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
If you want to be safer, build a well thought out Octo using a good FCB. Not some cheap, unproven quad design.
Here is a link of my Octo with a UAVX FCB losing a motor in flight.
Fun Flying (1 min 54 sec)

This video was made in 15 plus mph winds, the Octo was very controllable once I realized what happened. I will be ready even quicker if it happens again.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:06 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewonline View Post
Hi Guys,
I am just about to build my first quad for aerial photography (maybe the x650 when some of you have reviewed it first!). I have 35 years rc experience with planes and hellis. Has anyone used aerofoils for the booms on their quad? My theory is the quad would "helicopter" down like a sycamore seed. I know the wind would affect it a little but if I am 400 ft up and everything fails, at least is will fall a bit slower! I see lots of talk about parachutes but this seems simpler. What do you guys think?
Interesting idea. If it did work it would probably require the quad to be perfectly level when all the power goes out which usually doesn't happen. The arms of a quad are also relatively short compared to a helicopter so I doubt they would be effective in helping the quad autorotate. It would be nice to see it tried though.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 23, 2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:39 AM
Cornwall UK
Joined Jun 2007
13 Posts
that's got you all thinking!!! I might find time this week to make up a test frame with similar weights and throw it off the nearby cliff. With a bit of tape,sticks, glue and depron sheet I could get a few tries before binning it. If it doesn't work, no great loss. And if the wind is blowing I can do some slope soaring while i am there.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:46 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
that's got you all thinking!!!
LOL, No, not really.
Anything added to the copter that could allow it to glide down in any way would also grab the wind and prop wash in flight. This would make it useless as an AV platform. But I am sure you will make some funny videos of your + shaped freesbie for us.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:43 AM
Cornwall UK
Joined Jun 2007
13 Posts
all good fun. I will video it but it might make me famous for all the wrong reasons if it fails badly lol
Old Oct 23, 2010, 07:21 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewonline View Post
all good fun. I will video it but it might make me famous for all the wrong reasons if it fails badly lol
Don't worry bro, you will be in good company, I am proud of a controlled crash video.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 07:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
In the full scale aviation industry redundancy is the best safety measure. Simply put, the system may fail but only partially, leaving enough to keep control for a safe, if somewhat less than perfect return to earth.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:14 AM
Joined Mar 2011
20 Posts
if you had an independently powered accelorometer that caused a servo to kick in once you hit max rate of fall caused by gravity and your servo connected to a parachute release or "unfurled" your airfoils, I could see this working.

Youd have to be damn cool to make that happen tho
dustinash is offline Find More Posts by dustinash
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:43 PM
Joined Sep 2005
989 Posts
I think you're attempting to solve a problem without understanding what the problem actually looks like.

What's the most common mode of failure for a quad? All power lost? Or just one or two motors lost?

Isn't the weight distribution of a quad going to be a problem? A lot of mass is on the ends of the booms. Compare to a helicopter or autogyro where the mass isn't even in the rotor itself, or a sycamore seed where the mass is more central to the rotation.

You're going to probably need to extend your airfoils out past your current booms.
GoatZilla is offline Find More Posts by GoatZilla