HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:12 PM
United States, ID, Ketchum
Joined Dec 2003
1,201 Posts
Discussion
3 Meter Bird of Time plus Parkzone Radian = amazing conversion

I bought the Dynaflite Bird of Time with just shy of a 10' span and realized soon after that I hate hi-start and winch systems - too much hassle when just want to sneak out of the house for an hour and fly. I looked around for an alternative when I realized that electric was the way to go, but did not want to do the bulky pod thing due to appearance and drag.

Lucky for me I still had the power source from a worn out Radian but was concerned due to the weight difference (Radian flying weight = 26oz & the Bird of Time flying weight coming in at a whopping 4.8lbs - 3x as much weight!!)
However, I always fly with a 4 cell and my Radian will climb vertical with this power combo, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Climb rate and angle was not an issue, I just wanted to be able to get it to soaring altitude with minimal drag during the ascent and of course no-power soaring. Long story short, I maidened my Bird today and it flew BEAUTIFULLY. It even had a much better than expected climb out. The only down side is that I had to add some extra lead to the nose, but would have had to do that anyway as the tail moment is quite long with a relatively short nose, but the convenience of having a 'built in hi-start' is worth all the effort and I didn't have to spend an extra nickel in the process!
QuietRiot is offline Find More Posts by QuietRiot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:53 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Not sure how many climbs you have so far, but you might want to keep track. I'll guess you get a dozen or so out of that motor..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:26 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined May 2010
391 Posts
I would like to see a picture of this nose on the BOT. I put the radian nose cone on a super easy fly and it worked well also. You would think by now that the Mfg of the BOT would offer a powered version of this glider. If anyone has a electric powered BOT please show your pictures
WallsRoofing71 is offline Find More Posts by WallsRoofing71
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:52 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallsRoofing71 View Post
I would like to see a picture of this nose on the BOT. I put the radian nose cone on a super easy fly and it worked well also. You would think by now that the Mfg of the BOT would offer a powered version of this glider. If anyone has a electric powered BOT please show your pictures
This thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=bird+time shows one motor installation and a few other changes.

Alan
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:54 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,553 Posts
Quote:
If anyone has a electric powered BOT please show your pictures
Like this??
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:21 AM
Pagosa Springs, CO
Joined Jul 2007
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Not sure how many climbs you have so far, but you might want to keep track. I'll guess you get a dozen or so out of that motor..
..a
I did the same thing with an OlyIIs this past spring. The Oly weighs a bit over 3 pounds, and it climbs nicely with the Radian motor and original 3-cell lipo. It's been averaging four or more climbs per weekend since May, and it's still going strong.

I'm running an 11-6 prop, and generally climb at ~2/3 throttle.
Teezer is offline Find More Posts by Teezer
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:22 AM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Quietriot, You will enjoy the converversion.
When the air is dead down low you can go look for it higher.

Electric stretched BOT 17+ft 400w on beak.
kilwein is offline Find More Posts by kilwein
Last edited by kilwein; Oct 23, 2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:49 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,201 Posts
Here's the post-conversion pics

I meant to include a few pics of my BOT w/Radian Motor & speed control conversion, so here they are. Note that the BOT nose is more elliptical than round so the nose cone from the Radian doesn't quite match up geometrically, but doesn't look all that bad...
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
I don't know what size prop you are running, but with a 4S pack I suspect quite a few amps are being drawn. Have you measured the current at full throttle?

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:35 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rud-elev View Post
I don't know what size prop you are running, but with a 4S pack I suspect quite a few amps are being drawn. Have you measured the current at full throttle?

R/E
The prop is the stock Radian prop. The amps are close to the edge of the motor limits and well within the parameters of the Pro Lite V2, but I don't run full throttle for more than 10 seconds or so at a time. I've been flying my Radians (all three) with this same setup for more than a year with zero problems of overheating the motor or lipo.

On a side note, I live on a lake here in Oregon, and frequently race Jet Skiers with my Radian and win every time hands down. They really seem to get a kick out of it as well, but no doubt frustrated they're being whipped by a foam sailplane...
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:56 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
Actually... you run full throttle all the time with a brushless motor/ESC. It just pulses to simulate partial throttle, thus the heat generated with partial throttle runs.

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:10 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rud-elev View Post
Actually... you run full throttle all the time with a brushless motor/ESC. It just pulses to simulate partial throttle, thus the heat generated with partial throttle runs.

R/E
Yes, I'm aware this is how AC motors work, but ACTUAL full throttle obviously draws max amps and thus would possibly burn up the motor and battery in due time, this is why I run only for 10 seconds at a time.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:43 AM
Joined Dec 2007
28 Posts
BOT w/ Radian Motor

I'm also interested to know how this works out as I have a BOT and was thinking of doing the same thing...
charlesgraves1 is offline Find More Posts by charlesgraves1
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:07 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
Gliders by nature are quite efficient. 20 years ago I noticed that and set out to build the biggest glider I could for a 1/2A power pod. At 156'' and 4lbs /full house/ it worked. Climbed about a foot per every 300, but it worked. It's an the photo thread-----btw a 1/2A might be 120W (6x3@12K)

Anyway, glad to hear your story. Wish more would settle for less to get more.
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:11 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,509 Posts
Quote:
Well, you asked!

My better half put this all-balsa BOT together a few months ago.....

There's a Turnigy 35/48 and 3S 4500Mah li-po in there to yield 390 watts with a 14x8 prop - plenty for a 67oz model.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper